RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Jun 24, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #61 of 1,049
not exactly.... it's $500 extra
The adapter box is optional for those who already have an interface, such as a prior conversion box or Raal amplifier, so they aren’t paying for an adapter that would be redundant.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #62 of 1,049
Oh! The ti-1b comes included, that makes sense!
Do you know what the difference between the TI-1a and TI-1b is? (Other than size).
Is one 'better' than the other from a SQ perspective?

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #63 of 1,049
Jun 24, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #64 of 1,049
Everyone these days wants Meze Empyrean fit and finish, Utopia level performance and LCD2 pricetag. Any deviation just seems met with some sort of "won't get my money" or "why would you" type comments.
Like the old saying, pick only 2 out of 3.

Definitely, industry and manufacturing processes are marching forward, so expectations are justifiably high.

However, all those companies you mentioned have $300-600 products on offer, which is their bread and butter. Those products are not there to pursue sound perfection, they are there to finance everything else, which is a great thing.

Since we do not have such products yet, our power to utilize all the processes that industry has to offer is limited, so we must be careful where to spend.

Since we have decided to cap the price for the CA1-TI1 set at $2k5, if we wanted to keep top sound, we've had to save elsewhere (except manual labor).

Therefore, I can not find the words to explain you how grateful we are to all our clients! Old and new, for being willing to adopt (or tolerate) our philosophy.
We will try to pay you back with the best customer care.

THANK YOU!

Danny and Alex

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jun 26, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #65 of 1,049
Whens shipping out the stockists happening guys!?

Can't wait. For too long I've bought headphones that look great and sound just ok. Looking forward to ones that sound great and look just ok :p

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #66 of 1,049
RAAL truly makes some of the ugliest headphones ever. It's sad. Makes Hifiman looks good.

Next year we will get a paper cup with ribbon drivers hanging off of it.

I felt bad when I thought: That looks like something some dude 3D-printed in their basement before hitting the Smirnoff.

But yeah, a little design can make function a little more appealing.

Jun 27, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #67 of 1,049
I felt bad when I thought: That looks like something some dude 3D-printed in their basement before hitting the Smirnoff.

But yeah, a little design can make function a little more appealing.
No kidding. They compete well optically with actual 3D printed headphones from ETA - ugly but sounds good seem to be the motto.

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #68 of 1,049
Like the old saying, pick only 2 out of 3.

Definitely, industry and manufacturing processes are marching forward, so expectations are justifiably high.

However, all those companies you mentioned have $300-600 products on offer, which is their bread and butter. Those products are not there to pursue sound perfection, they are there to finance everything else, which is a great thing.

Since we do not have such products yet, our power to utilize all the processes that industry has to offer is limited, so we must be careful where to spend.

Since we have decided to cap the price for the CA1-TI1 set at $2k5, if we wanted to keep top sound, we've had to save elsewhere (except manual labor).

Therefore, I can not find the words to explain you how grateful we are to all our clients! Old and new, for being willing to adopt (or tolerate) our philosophy.
We will try to pay you back with the best customer care.

THANK YOU!

Danny and Alex
You guys definitely picked the right 2 out of 3!

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #69 of 1,049
I wish they made the suspension strap out of seatbelt material, like the Aurorus Borealis. It would have really completed the look. Oh! Cream earcups!

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #70 of 1,049
I really like what the Aurorus Audio is all about!
Reading their Discord forum, I've seen how seriously they approach the sound and how well thought are the choices they made in acoustics of a headphone.
Judging by the posts of what their crowd likes and dislikes in sound, I feel connected to what they do. They're all about preserving dynamics, tone balance that is not unnaturally "bassy", very light lateral clamping pressure, saving weight (actually, putting weight where it's needed for dampening vibration)...
They are really not trying to compete on the fancy looks level with anyone, it's just about the sound. All of the mechanical and acoustical solutions are in plain sight, so if you know what you're looking at, you will appreciate it.
I admit, I don't have the b.lls to go that far into hardcore, but I sincerely admire them for doing so!

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jun 29, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #71 of 1,049
I got my lying-in bed system setup last night and it was a great success. For the cost of this system, I am getting excellent sound. I am using the Topping DAC in VALVE mode, have not tried the other 2 modes.

- Schitt Jotunheim R (used $400)
- Topping D90LE DAC ($719)
- EtherRegen ($640) (I use this in reverse order)
- Sonore OpticalRendu ROON ONLY + LPS ($1400)
- Sony XDR FM tuner (modded $500)
- RAAL CA-1a ($2000) + RAAL Jotunheim cable

The SR1a is with the VM-1a in the main office. I cannot lay in bed with the SR1a.

The next thing is to decide whether to continue to use the Benchmark DAC3B with the VM-1a or the Musetec 005 DAC.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #72 of 1,049
I got my lying-in bed system setup last night and it was a great success. For the cost of this system, I am getting excellent sound. I am using the Topping DAC in VALVE mode, have not tried the other 2 modes.

- Schitt Jotunheim R (used $400)
- Topping D90LE DAC ($719)
- EtherRegen ($640) (I use this in reverse order)
- Sonore OpticalRendu ROON ONLY + LPS ($1400)
- Sony XDR FM tuner (modded $500)
- RAAL CA-1a ($2000) + RAAL Jotunheim cable

The SR1a is with the VM-1a in the main office. I cannot lay in bed with the SR1a.

The next thing is to decide whether to continue to use the Benchmark DAC3B with the VM-1a or the Musetec 005 DAC.
I have the Mustec 005 dac and think you would need to spend at least double to improve on it in my opinion.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #73 of 1,049
I have the Mustec 005 dac and think you would need to spend at least double to improve on it in my opinion.
I also own the Musetec 005 and it is a killer DAC. I am just not sure if I like it as much as the Benchmark DA3B with the VM-1a amp. I will test that out next month after I get the DAC back from a friend.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #75 of 1,049
I wish they made the suspension strap out of seatbelt material, like the Aurorus Borealis. It would have really completed the look. Oh! Cream earcups!
Just received my CA-1a (which, FWIW, have the pre-production "extra notch" in the front of the earpads). Personally I rather like the semi-industrial look of it and the SR-1a unit too. It doesn't look or feel cheap to me at all. I also REALLY like how it fits on my head and the feel of the rather large earcups compared to most over-ear headphones I've tried, they're quite comfortable. Interestingly, as they sit on my head, the front part of the foam where the "extra notch" is compresses down enough that I'm curious if the production earpads without the notch will be really any different at all sonically for me.

Like @yyzSB, I'm expecting to use the CA-1a in the bedroom setup and the SR-1a in my office.

Of course, I have to run the CA-1a through it's paces first! Initial listening has a more balanced profile than the un-EQ'd SR-1a, but will be doing some measurements of it too in the relatively near future to at least test EQ in compliance with the official headphone curves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back