RAAL 1995 Immanis
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #76 of 224
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #77 of 224
Yes I have the same issue with the HSA-1b and my Nutopia and ZMF Caldera. The gradations in volume make it very difficult to achieve a comfortable volume.
If your system allows, turn down the output level from your source, going into VM or HSA. For useful range, stepped attenuators are usually designed to have the first several steps larger than the rest. Adjusting your source level so that the 12:00 position is your average comfortable listening level, you'll have up and down volume settings with reasonably fine steps. For the volume to be too high, at 3rd or 4th position, is a reliable indication your source level is higher than ideal.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #78 of 224
Nah, the official thread is this. We should keep this in Summit-Fi. The Sponsor section is a dead one
I get your point about the summit-fi thread being more suitable but I'd rather we have a new thread with more signal than the noise of this dumpster fire of a thread. 6 pages in and we've had just 3 or 4 meaningful posts here. Let it die.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #80 of 224
I get your point about the summit-fi thread being more suitable but I'd rather we have a new thread with more signal than the noise of this dumpster fire of a thread. 6 pages in and we've had just 3 or 4 meaningful posts here. Let it die.
Nah, nobody will go to the sponsor section, and it'll die by it's own. I'm cool with other people posting there, but I'm only checking this thread. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #81 of 224
I'm not sure that as a sponsor I can post the announcements in other forums than Sponsor Announcements, so I thread-start carefully.
I feel you. It's just that, that section is not as viewed as the Summit-Fi section. I might be being lazy, but I want all my Summit-Fi s- in one section. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #82 of 224
I feel you. It's just that, that section is not as viewed as the Summit-Fi section. I might be being lazy, but I want all my Summit-Fi s- in one section. 🤷‍♂️
We certainly use head-fi in different ways. I follow/watch all the threads that interest me and then use the watched threads section and notifications to see wether there are new posts.

In almost all situations I don't even know in which section the threads are posted.

Only when I'm out of New stuff to read, I'll browse the forum sections manually to find new interesting threads

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #83 of 224
If your system allows, turn down the output level from your source, going into VM or HSA. For useful range, stepped attenuators are usually designed to have the first several steps larger than the rest. Adjusting your source level so that the 12:00 position is your average comfortable listening level, you'll have up and down volume settings with reasonably fine steps. For the volume to be too high, at 3rd or 4th position, is a reliable indication your source level is higher than ideal.
Hi Danny; I’m using Holo May as the source for the HSA and it does have a rather ‘hot’ 5.8Vrms 54Ohm output on the balanced XLR’s and as far as I know it’s not variable in any way. I could switch to the RCA SE outputs which are half that level at 2.9Vrms 27Ohm. Looking at the latest numbers Aleks has just released I might have to do this change anyway as Aleks says that the Immanis only needs 25% of the power relative to the SR1. I don’t particularly want to change the Holo May; I’ve had it less than a year and I like what it does; so maybe the change from XLR to RCA is the only option?

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #85 of 224
Hey Cigga there’s some things Aleks can only post on the Sponsors thread. It’s the rules. You just gonna stay here and miss all the fun?
I'll try to remember to go there from time to time :L3000:

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #86 of 224
Hi Danny; I’m using Holo May as the source for the HSA and it does have a rather ‘hot’ 5.8Vrms 54Ohm output on the balanced XLR’s and as far as I know it’s not variable in any way. I could switch to the RCA SE outputs which are half that level at 2.9Vrms 27Ohm. Looking at the latest numbers Aleks has just released I might have to do this change anyway as Aleks says that the Immanis only needs 25% of the power relative to the SR1. I don’t particularly want to change the Holo May; I’ve had it less than a year and I like what it does; so maybe the change from XLR to RCA is the only option?
Yes, the HSA RCA inputs have less gain and IMHO, sound better than the XLR inputs. That's not to say SE always sounds better than balanced, however, in many cases, it is a more direct path, which often results in favorable results. Your mileage may vary!

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #87 of 224
I'll try to remember to go there from time to time :L3000:
Another option to consider would be to follow him and set it to be notified when he posts.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #88 of 224
Another option to consider would be to follow him and set it to be notified when he posts.
I could, but nah, I'm not going to do that. I check the following sections: Summit-Fi, Amps, Headphones. Otherwise, I'll randomly check something else. Maybe I browse forums differently than others, but I don't often veer to the Sponsored section, and judging by the views and post count, others don't as well. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #89 of 224
I agree that the Sponsors section isn't well-trafficked, but partly because the... more prolific... brands tend to create a new thread each time they release a new product, which is like every month. So that section fills up with all of these threads which then bury the ones we're interested in, and it becomes hard to find what you want. I just use the "Watch Thread" feature for any interesting threads in the Sponsors section.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #90 of 224

Users who are viewing this thread

Back