RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,456 of 1,936
One thing to remember about most digital volume controls: When you use one to attenuate a full-scale signal, it reduces resolution of the signal. You might want to check the owner's manual before reducing the output of your DAC or other digital component.
Supposedly Holo has accounted for this, though.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,457 of 1,936
Wow! I read your impressions earlier in the thread and they didn't seems as hyperbolic as "crap in comparison." I'm in regular touch with Danny these days, so maybe I'll just wait for whatever he comes up with. I really would love to hear his "single speaker with no crossover that beats all other systems."

I really like GoldenSound - I broke bread with him in NY last year and he's the one who turned me on to Holo - but don't take his opinion as gospel on all things.
I was rather bummed at how the Serene sounded in comparison. I used to think more highly of it before that demo. I heard his crossover less speakers, and I am also of the opinion Less Is More.

I am getting a Schitt OG DAC tomorrow or Wednesday (used the funds from the LA4 sale for the OG). I am expecting the OG + Serene + CODA #16 amp + Yamaha NS5000 speaker = happiness. The Immanis should also working nicely with the OG and Serene via the Holo Audio XLR headphone cable.

I have the Yggi+ Less Is More (LIM) DAC and I do not love it with the VM-1a and the CA-1a. I use a Benchmark DAC3B in that setup. The LIM sounds great with my bright-ish Magnepan LRS+ in my office. I use a Benchmark HPA4 in the office which I am looking forward to hear with the Immanis.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #1,458 of 1,936
I was rather bummed at how the Serene sounded in comparison. I used to think more highly of it before that demo. I heard his crossover less speakers, and I am also of the opinion Less Is More.

I am getting a Schitt OG DAC tomorrow or Wednesday (used the funds from the LA4 sale for the OG). I am expecting the OG + Serene + CODA #16 amp + Yamaha NS5000 speaker = happiness. The Immanis should also working nicely with the OG and Serene via the Holo Audio XLR headphone cable.

I have the Yggi+ Less Is More (LIM) DAC and I do not love it with the VM-1a and the CA-1a. I use a Benchmark DAC3B in that setup. The LIM sounds great with my bright-ish Magnepan LRS+ in my office. I use a Benchmark HPA4 in the office which I am looking forward to hear with the Immanis.

Yaaa ns5000

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #1,459 of 1,936
Hey friends, I have spent now about 30 hours listening with the Magna and have 12 pages of notes to consolidate before sharing impressions.

I know there is a lot of interest for the Immanis (I share it and I am in line for it also). But, the Magna is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I encourage everyone to get a listen, especially if you own the SR1a already.

Here's a small excerpt from my notes:

The Magna is not an “also ran” in the shadow of the Immanis. I find it to be the most versatile and "all rounder" capable headphone I have owned yet, especially as a partner to the SR1a. It may also represent a better choice for listeners with a focus on specific genre that will capitalize on its bass energy, its overall visceral engagement, and what I refer to more than once, the sense of live venue listening.

The Magna is a dynamic as hell, detailed, spacious listen. Punchy bass combines with rich, substantive midrange/vocals, and the hyper detail and speed typical of ribbon drivers. It is the perfect complement to the SR1a, bringing a warmth and weight that the SR1a does not have in the same measure. The Magna is an extremely detailed and technical headphone. It reproduces as much of the source material as any headphone I have heard. And it has fun doing it.

The Magna is not simply 66.6% of an Immanis. It is a unique top of line headphone worthy of consideration in its own right.
Yup, I think many people blindly buying Immanis because "It costs more, it must be better" might not be making the right choice. I preferred Magna when I listened at CanJam. Also your impressions seem pretty similar to how I heard it so it's a nice bit of confluence I wasn't mishearing things.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #1,460 of 1,936
Yup, I think many people blindly buying Immanis because "It costs more, it must be better" might not be making the right choice. I preferred Magna when I listened at CanJam.
Well of course many expect the flagship to Sound better. They trust Aleksandar in that regard.

I auditioned both and prefer the Immanis.
However the Magna is a great option in its own right.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #1,461 of 1,936
Well of course many expect the flagship to Sound better. They trust Aleksandar in that regard.

Yup, I think many people blindly buying Immanis because "It costs more, it must be better" might not be making the right choice. I preferred Magna when I listened at CanJam. Also your impressions seem pretty similar to how I heard it so it's a nice bit of confluence I wasn't mishearing things.
I auditioned both as well, and Immanis was definitely the one that stood out to me. Not to throw shade at Magna, but the raw size of the sound presented by Immanis was just addictive. Sort of made it hard to compare any other technicalities when putting the Magna on just made me immediately miss that vast stage.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #1,462 of 1,936
@SageM Danny, any update on Mitch convolution filters? Curious as to when they will be available.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #1,463 of 1,936

I see them both as "flagships"

It's just like how some prefer the cheaper CA-1a over the more expensive SR1a. They're both approximately the same level of performance but have different character.
I put Immanis and Magna at the same flagship tier, but they have differences. Like a Porsche GT3RS vs a Lamborghini STO. Both absolute top of the line, both different.

I auditioned both as well, and Immanis was definitely the one that stood out to me. Not to throw shade at Magna, but the raw size of the sound presented by Immanis was just addictive. Sort of made it hard to compare any other technicalities when putting the Magna on just made me immediately miss that vast stage.
Yeah some people are going to prefer the larger sound of Immanis.
But also some will prefer the more intimate and punchy sound of Magna.

Point is I don't think it's accurate to say Immanis costs more and is always better, yet many people are blind buying on that premise.

@SageM Danny, any update on Mitch convolution filters? Curious as to when they will be available.
Mitch seems to be busy these days. I keep trying to send him my SR-X9000 and I keep getting the reply of "next month"

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #1,464 of 1,936
Is it already known which chain it will be for Immanis in Munich next week?

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #1,465 of 1,936
I see them both as "flagships"

It's just like how some prefer the cheaper CA-1a over the more expensive SR1a. They're both approximately the same level of performance but have different character.
I put Immanis and Magna at the same flagship tier, but they have differences. Like a Porsche GT3RS vs a Lamborghini STO. Both absolute top of the line, both different.
It's fine that you see it that way, but I consider it different.

The SR-1A and CA-1A are very different in their presentation. They might offer similar detail but a completely different big picture.

I see both the Magna and Immanis as upgrades to the Ca-1a and expect some Fans of the SR-1A to still consider this the best Raal headphone, simply due to the big difference in presentation.

When looking at Magna/Immanis It's less a Porsche GT3RS vs Lamborghini STO but more an Audi S5 vs Audi RS5 kind of deal.
The Immanis has no tradeoff compared to the Magna, it doesn't lose anything in order to gain something else like It's the case with SR1A and the others.

However both our views are valid and It's fine to disagree

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #1,466 of 1,936
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I see it as CA-1a fans going for the Magna and the SR1a fans going for the Immanis. That is what I am going to do since I like the SR1a more than the CA-1a.

I luckily predicted this preference when I first heard news about the new phones. I sold my SR1a and kept the CA-1a. I am glad I did that.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #1,467 of 1,936
I'm blind-buying Immanis over Mangna because I'm a soundstage-head above all else, and I love the SR1b. Nothing really to do with cost.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,469 of 1,936
Finally arrived!
IMG_2477.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpeg
    IMG_2476.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #1,470 of 1,936