RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,082 of 2,364
I think I’ll stay with the original design. While silver is quite cool, I’m not that sure I want to trade some durability with it.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,083 of 2,364
A reliability question : the Immanis being much more complex than previous Raal HPs, would we easily notice if one of the six ribbons is defective?
Depending on malfunction, you will get one channel quieter or completely off.

In general, they are no so beating-proof as SR or CA, so as soon as you hear some buzz in sync with bass transients, turn the volume down a bit, as you've reached the max excursion of the ribbons.

I do not approve of any bass boost EQ, sub or high bass, whatever. They are what they are and if you plan to utilize the max SPL they can do (which depends on the bass content in music), be mindful of what kind of power you are using and how loud you're playing.
They are not SPL champions and that was not on the priority list in the driver design.

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #1,084 of 2,364
So a takeaway I'm getting from everyone's Immanis impressions is that most people seem to prefer them on a tube amp. This makes me feel like I might be missing out on something as I only have solid state amps. I have only seen people talk about how it sounded off the Envy of VM1A, but the tube amp I think I am most interested in would be the WA33. Does anyone have any opinions on how this pairing might go? If anyone has heard all of these amps I would love to get a comparison. Also any thoughts on whether or not a tube amp would be needed. My wallet would be greatful to anyone who could talk me out of this tube amp idea.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #1,086 of 2,364
So a takeaway I'm getting from everyone's Immanis impressions is that most people seem to prefer them on a tube amp.
Agreed, and most people's observations seem to be on 300B tubes. If I remember correctly, though, Immanis isn't particularly power hungry and should work equally well on 2A3, right?

Someone PLEASE tell me NO so I stop this madness before it even starts. lol

My wallet would be greatful to anyone who could talk me out of this tube amp idea.
Yeah, good luck with that. :wink:

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,087 of 2,364
So a takeaway I'm getting from everyone's Immanis impressions is that most people seem to prefer them on a tube amp. This makes me feel like I might be missing out on something as I only have solid state amps. I have only seen people talk about how it sounded off the Envy of VM1A, but the tube amp I think I am most interested in would be the WA33. Does anyone have any opinions on how this pairing might go? If anyone has heard all of these amps I would love to get a comparison. Also any thoughts on whether or not a tube amp would be needed. My wallet would be greatful to anyone who could talk me out of this tube amp idea.

I do share a bit of the same fear, although my amp does offer a setting which should bring some warmth if really needed.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,088 of 2,364
I would suggest you to forget what others say and use what you have and what kind of amps you have always preferred.
The people who preferred them on tube amps, most probably naturally prefer tube amps. I don't think that matching is "better", they just prefer tube sound anyway and these headphones can easily pick up what the amp sends them.
They were developed mostly on Benchmark AHB2 and to a lesser extend the SAEQ Hyperion Ge.
To me, I have yet to hear an amp that beats AHB2 in things that I value the most in aesthetics of sound...everything else is adding flavors to a pure spring water.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,089 of 2,364
I would suggest you to forget what others say and use what you have and what kind of amps you have always preferred.
The people who preferred them on tube amps, most probably naturally prefer tube amps. I don't think that matching is "better", they just prefer tube sound anyway and these headphones can easily pick up what the amp sends them.
They were developed mostly on Benchmark AHB2 and to a lesser extend the SAEQ Hyperion Ge.
To me, I have yet to hear an amp that beats AHB2 in things that I value the most in aesthetics of sound...everything else is adding flavors to a pure spring water.
I'm glad to hear that, as I love my Holo stack and have zero interest in changing anything to accommodate another headphone. Your approach of going for maximum compatibility is a huge selling point.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,090 of 2,364
Your post and use of emoticon lead to believe you were laughing at / making fun of Raal 1995, it didn´t offend me in the least, otherwise I would have most likely replied in the same manner you did to me, and which is why I asked the question. Maybe I misconstrued your intentions and I passed by your world class, stand up comedian sense of humour, but please improve your emoticon game, insincere apologies not accepted.
Thank you. I in no way make fun of anything to do with Raal. I own the SR-1b, the CA-1a and the HSA-1b, and I have ordered the Immanis. I accept your non-acceptance of my insincere apology and I offer this in apology 😘

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,091 of 2,364
I love this answer. :smile:

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,092 of 2,364
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,093 of 2,364
Glad to hear the headphone designer likes the same type of sound as myself, having owned a Benchmark HPA4 amp for some time. I haven't heard the BM AHB2 but my understanding is that there is a family sonic resemblance and a killer sound with my SR-1b.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #1,094 of 2,364
I wished I would have listened to the listener next to me for how much "sound bleed" there was from these. This will make a difference which room I'd have to listen in (Wife+family factor)

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,095 of 2,364
I wished I would have listened to the listener next to me for how much "sound bleed" there was from these. This will make a difference which room I'd have to listen in (Wife+family factor)
Yeah, that is the same issue I have. I have seen some posts here where others who listened to the new phones described their sound bleed through as "desktop speakers" , so I assume it would be bothersome to others in my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back