RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #631 of 1,627
... and if classical is not your thing, the Immanis - especially after some EQ does wonders with these as well ...

Lots of fun and wow moments :wink:

1710613784811.png

1710613717148.png

1710614290864.png

1710614521862.png

1710614980167.png

1710615340223.png

1710615540240.png
Can you share what EQ you're using? Thanks!

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #632 of 1,627
Can you share what EQ you're using? Thanks!

Sure! While waiting for something way smarter (hopefully Mitch filters), I am using a very simplistic approach with two bass shelves, 3dB gently raising below 800Hz, plus another 3dB below 40Hz.

This provides a general increase of weight and body, some warmth, and a fun sub-bass response.

I am alternating EQ and flat, still using the flat version more often for most classical and jazz, to retain maximum purity, airiness, nuanced harmonics structure and transparency.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #633 of 1,627
Sure! While waiting for something way smarter (hopefully Mitch filters), I am using a very simplistic approach with two bass shelves, 3dB gently raising below 800Hz, plus another 3dB below 40Hz.

This provides a general increase of weight and body, some warmth, and a fun sub-bass response.

I am alternating EQ and flat, still using the flat version more often for most classical and jazz, to retain maximum purity, airiness, nuanced harmonics structure and transparency.
Are you any closer to deciding if the Valkyria and Immanis can provide all the listening and emotional fulfilment you need from your music or are you still considering a need for a third headphone?

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #634 of 1,627
CanJam SG.jpg

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 17, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #635 of 1,627
Are you any closer to deciding if the Valkyria and Immanis can provide all the listening and emotional fulfilment you need from your music or are you still considering a need for a third headphone?

I am closer indeed, but I need to wait until my new DAC is here (should be within 3 weeks from now) to reassess system synergy / overall balance and most importantly my emotional response to the new sound.

What I can confidently say is that the Immanis (with or without EQ) brought me at the peak of my audio journey so far for at least certain types of music I really care for, which is already a big feat for me. Big orchestral compositions, for example, have a mix of grandeur, tonal credibility, instrument body, spatial organization, openness, transparency and resolution I did not experience before.

1710672707367.png

1710672987100.png

Lastly, I want to remark again how impressive is - for good or worse - the change of the sonic signature presented by the Immanis depending on the recording. The two albums above are typical examples of the respective recording style of the two labels at that time, and they could not sound more different, which is made obvious by the Immanis in a way I did not find with other headphones.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #636 of 1,627
I am closer indeed, but I need to wait until my new DAC is here (should be within 3 weeks from now) to reassess system synergy / overall balance and most importantly my emotional response to the new sound.

What I can confidently say is that the Immanis (with or without EQ) brought me at the peak of my audio journey so far for at least certain types of music I really care for, which is already a big feat for me. Big orchestral compositions, for example, have a mix of grandeur, tonal credibility, instrument body, spatial organization, openness, transparency and resolution I did not experience before.

1710672707367.png

1710672987100.png

Lastly, I want to remark again how impressive is - for good or worse - the change of the sonic signature presented by the Immanis depending on the recording. The two albums above are typical examples of the respective recording style of the two labels at that time, and they could not sound more different, which is made obvious by the Immanis in a way I did not find with other headphones.
Two more versions added to my library, thank you. The wonders of streaming and Qobuz. Listening now to Beethoven with Nutopia/Envy. No reported sightings of Immanis yet here in Germany.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #637 of 1,627
I will get an Immanis from the first batch. And I have been told that I have to wait until the week after CanJam in Singapore (april 6-7).

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #638 of 1,627
...and this is why I got immersed into this hobby over 40 years ago. Recordings are different from one another....often drastically different. I yearn to hear these differences. Poorly recorded, 2-dimensional efforts should sound like it, just as a beautifully crafted recording should soar majestically. A system that covers up the former, and makes them palatable, won't extract all the beauty of the latter.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #639 of 1,627
I've scanned several pages of this thread and I did not see anything about availability in the US. Are they available or will they be? And who are the dealers? Thank you.
Danny at RAAL-requisite. We are North America distribution, sales & service for RAAL 1995.

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #641 of 1,627
Dear friends from Shanghai,

CanJam Shanghai 2024 is in October and before that, through Hiend Panda, Immanis will be at two Shows in Shanghai.

The first one is in less than two weeks:
155845nafn2o2owz3465f5.jpg

Edit: My mistake, it won't be possible to play headphones at SIAV, so you can listen to them at Headphones Expo.
At SIAV, you can certainly ask Alex from Hiend Panda about the headphones and make an appointment for listening!

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #642 of 1,627
Tried both the Magna and Immanis at Canjam NY. I really regret not trying the SR1A as well to compare but the booth had a lot of interest and there was quite a line when I was there and didn't want to hog.

I came away really impressed with both models, it was a little hard to do an in depth listen because of the noise and I couldn't t play my own music but a lot of headphones I listened to afterwards seemed comparatively muffled and slow so I guess that's a good sign. Looking forward to more people getting these in and sharing more impressions

Attachments

• 20240309_172747.jpg
    20240309_172747.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240309_172732.jpg
    20240309_172732.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #643 of 1,627
...and this is why I got immersed into this hobby over 40 years ago. Recordings are different from one another....often drastically different. I yearn to hear these differences. Poorly recorded, 2-dimensional efforts should sound like it, just as a beautifully crafted recording should soar majestically. A system that covers up the former, and makes them palatable, won't extract all the beauty of the latter.
Absolutely true!

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #645 of 1,627
Tried both the Magna and Immanis at Canjam NY. I really regret not trying the SR1A as well to compare but the booth had a lot of interest and there was quite a line when I was there and didn't want to hog.

I came away really impressed with both models, it was a little hard to do an in depth listen because of the noise and I couldn't t play my own music but a lot of headphones I listened to afterwards seemed comparatively muffled and slow so I guess that's a good sign. Looking forward to more people getting these in and sharing more impressions
Anything else you might be able to add? Noticeable differences between the two models? Good weight to the music? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back