RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #527 of 2,379
Immanis goes places!
Times Square, New York, USA

Immanis Times Square, NYC, USA.jpg

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #529 of 2,379
It was on Firstwatt J2 at 8 Ohms.
The piece was Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture.
FYI - I was planning on getting the Firstwatt xx amp for my CA-1a/SR1a RAAL phones. However, before I spent money on a used Firstwatt, I bought the $800 Schitt Aegir amp (new version out now). It is supposed to be similar to the Firstwatt line. I read quotes that is it about 80% of a Firstwatt. I was extremely happy with the results using a Schitt Mjolnir v3 preamp ($1200) and the Aegir. Not as good as a VM-1a but a supreme value. I decided to not go for the Firstwatt (so I may be missing something) but I figured since the Aegir combo came close to the VM-1a that was good enough for me. I plan on using the Aegir with the replacement RAAL phone(s) I get for my SR1a.

This week I figured out how to switch out the Mjolnir with the Holo Supreme preamp (along with other complications). I like that combo a bit more but if you like a warmer sound the cheaper Mjolnir v3 would be preferred.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #533 of 2,379
Apologies for my ignorance, but how can the Immanis or Magna be ordered in the US. Maybe it was mentioned in this thread an I missed it.
Reach out to Danny or David at RAAL-requisite.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #534 of 2,379
Since the AHB2 was mentioned by Alex earlier in the thread I am trying the Benchmark AHB2 with my Holo Serene preamp as I write this. In the past, I hated the RAAL phones with the Benchmark DAC3B + AHB2. However, this was with the old interface box and the Benchmark LA4 preamp, though I also tried warmer DACs with the old attempts.

I was going to put up the AHB2 for sale today since it failed (some fatigue) on my 2-channel system compared to my other 2-channel amps. I decided to give the AHB2 one more stay of execution before putting up the for-sale sign.

The RAAL CA-1a | RAAL Star8 | RAAL TI-1b | Holo Serene | Benchmark DAC3B | Benchmark AHB2 combo sounds really interesting and fun. It is fatigue free and enjoyable for me in a different way than the VM-1a. It is better than the Schitt Aegir setup I wrote about earlier.

I am reading that the Imannis is a warmer phone, that would work nicely with this AHB2 setup. One thing I know about the AHB2 is that if the signal chain is good the AHB2 is fatigue free. The DAC3B is definitely a hot DAC but it is not pushing the sound over the edge for me. I have a Schitt Yggi+ Less Is More DAC in my other system. I think I will switch the 2 DACs to give the AHB2 setup a bit more safety.

Ok, now I have 2 really good setups ready for the Immanis.

The murky sounding Exile on Main Street by the Stones sounds great on the AHB2 setup.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #535 of 2,379
Since the AHB2 was mentioned by Alex earlier in the thread I am trying the Benchmark AHB2 with my Holo Serene preamp as I write this. In the past, I hated the RAAL phones with the Benchmark DAC3B + AHB2. However, this was with the old interface box and the Benchmark LA4 preamp, though I also tried warmer DACs with the old attempts.

I was going to put up the AHB2 for sale today since it failed (some fatigue) on my 2-channel system compared to my other 2-channel amps. I decided to give the AHB2 one more stay of execution before putting up the for-sale sign.

The RAAL CA-1a | RAAL Star8 | RAAL TI-1b | Holo Serene | Benchmark DAC3B | Benchmark AHB2 combo sounds really interesting and fun. It is fatigue free and enjoyable for me in a different way than the VM-1a. It is better than the Schitt Aegir setup I wrote about earlier.

I am reading that the Imannis is a warmer phone, that would work nicely with this AHB2 setup. One thing I know about the AHB2 is that if the signal chain is good the AHB2 is fatigue free. The DAC3B is definitely a hot DAC but it is not pushing the sound over the edge for me. I have a Schitt Yggi+ Less Is More DAC in my other system. I think I will switch the 2 DACs to give the AHB2 setup a bit more safety.

Ok, now I have 2 really good setups ready for the Immanis.

The murky sounding Exile on Main Street by the Stones sounds great on the AHB2 setup.
IMO, the First Watt or Pass Labs class A amps are much better than the AHB2. I sold my AHB2 last year after trying it with several preamps including my Holo Audio Serene, LTA Microzotl Reference Preamp, and McIntosh C2600 vacuum tube preamp. I also bought a DHC custom made C15 cable with bananas on the amp end and a 4 pin female Furutech connector on the headphone end to use with the AHB2. All 6 of my current amps that I listed on the previous page were better than the AHB2. I sold my AHB2 and I've had no regrets.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #536 of 2,379
Any CanJam impressions of the 2 new headphones?

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #538 of 2,379
IMO, the First Watt or Pass Labs class A amps are much better than the AHB2. I sold my AHB2 last year after trying it with several preamps including my Holo Audio Serene, LTA Microzotl Reference Preamp, and McIntosh C2600 vacuum tube preamp. I also bought a DHC custom made C15 cable with bananas on the amp end and a 4 pin female Furutech connector on the headphone end to use with the AHB2. All 6 of my current amps that I listed on the previous page were better than the AHB2. I sold my AHB2 and I've had no regrets.
My AHB2 is in addition to the VM-1a that I have. I like the differences between the 2 amps.

I would not say the AHB2 is worse sounding it is just so neutral and not for everyone. It will not sound like any of the warmer amps, such as my VM-1a and my Schitt Aegir. A lot of people dislike the Benchmark HPA4 for the same reasons as the AHB2. I like both (the LA4 in my case, I foolishly sold the HPA4)

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #539 of 2,379
My AHB2 is in addition to the VM-1a that I have. I like the differences between the 2 amps.

I would not say the AHB2 is worse sounding it is just so neutral and not for everyone. It will not sound like any of the warmer amps, such as my VM-1a and my Schitt Aegir. A lot of people dislike the Benchmark HPA4 for the same reasons as the AHB2. I like both (the LA4 in my case, I foolishly sold the HPA4)
Life can be so interesting at times. Tonight (Euro time) I’m using the Felix Envy pre-amp out into my HSA-1b and listening with my CA-1a. My eyes tell me I’m listening to the HSA but my ears do not agree. Some of upper range clarity and clearness has disappeared and has been replaced with a fuller, more weighty, lower mid range and bottom end. It’s much too early to say I prefer it this way and I‘ve even switched out the convolution filter but it’s a variation in presentation that I’m happy to explore. Classic rock recordings from the 70’s are definitely more dynamic and weighty this way. Enjoying my time with the Envy now I’ve got the settings sorted.
Edit:- Are there any do’s and don‘ts as regards settings on either the pre-amp and main amp or is it just trial and error and listen to what sounds best? At the moment it’s sounding great with the volume high on the HSA and then controlled by the volume on the pre-amp. Also, contrary to what‘s best when using the CA-1a into the Envy, I’m enjoying the sound more on low gain on the Envy. Or, don’t tell me, when in pre-amp mode the gain doesn’t matter and I’m imagining it?
I should also comment on the time freely given by Alex today on a number of questions I had that were giving me cause for concern. Alex answered all of my questions, he passed on his regards to my other half (she was deeply appreciative), and I can’t think of any of the other TOTL producers who would do this on a Saturday. I doubt, after Immanis, that I will feel the need to buy any other phones until Alex releases the SR-2a or his first closed-back with portable transformer (I will claim it as my idea if we ever see the portable interface).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #540 of 2,379
got a chance to listen to the new HP's at canjam today...both outstanding sadly I like the more expensive model lol...that said it is obviously hard to make nuanced observations in such a noisy place with so much hustle and bustle but the higher end model has a really nice soundstage...the kind of space that I find so nice to listen to ...to me this model is kind of like the circumaural version of the sr1a...to my ears more open sounding than the CA-1a but with the impact and bass of a circumaural..I enjoyed my brief time with it..the lower end version is quite nice as well just not as open sounding....I am sure others will comment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back