RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #137 of 2,395
If you have read everything that Alex has said about the new phones then your statement will not be correct in the relatively near future. The Magna, according to Alex, is a level above existing TOTL phones of any technology, including the existing ribbon phones. Therefore the CA1a‘s do not rival the Magna, not in absolute terms, but maybe in value/sound terms they do. Then, to further compound the difference, by adding the third ribbon Alex has lifted the performance of the Immanis above the Magna. The CA1a therefore has no chance of rivalling the best if we accept what Alex has stated. I have both the SR1b and CA1a and they are my go to headphones, but if my experience of the new phones is how Alex has described them then I expect the ‘old ones’ will see little action in the future. It should be noted that I am 69 yrs old and I haven’t been as excited as this for a long time thinking about what the Immanis will sound like. Bring it on.
I sold my SR1a in anticipation of the new gear from RAAL (along with buying the VM-1a again). I was thinking of selling the CA-1a, but I like the fact that they are my rough and tumble RAALs, which also sound great. I use them sometimes when I fall asleep in bed, and I know they are tough and won't break if I roll over them. I would not do that with the new phones.

I have a 25-foot cable from RAAL to connect my office system with the TI-1b which is in a bedroom. I get the cable out whenever I listen in bed.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #138 of 2,395
If you have read everything that Alex has said about the new phones then your statement will not be correct in the relatively near future. The Magna, according to Alex, is a level above existing TOTL phones of any technology, including the existing ribbon phones. Therefore the CA1a‘s do not rival the Magna, not in absolute terms, but maybe in value/sound terms they do. Then, to further compound the difference, by adding the third ribbon Alex has lifted the performance of the Immanis above the Magna. The CA1a therefore has no chance of rivalling the best if we accept what Alex has stated. I have both the SR1b and CA1a and they are my go to headphones, but if my experience of the new phones is how Alex has described them then I expect the ‘old ones’ will see little action in the future. It should be noted that I am 69 yrs old and I haven’t been as excited as this for a long time thinking about what the Immanis will sound like. Bring it on.
My comment wasn't to diminish the new models rather to state that just because there is a new model doesn't make the old one sound worse than it did before the new release. I do know that the Ca1a plays at the level of my Susvara however, and to suggest simply because there is a graduation of technology in a new release will not make my Susvara all of a sudden no longer world class or totl. And if that's the case, then neither will a new model do so to the Ca1a.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #139 of 2,395
I sold my SR1a in anticipation of the new gear from RAAL (along with buying the VM-1a again). I was thinking of selling the CA-1a, but I like the fact that they are my rough and tumble RAALs, which also sound great. I use them sometimes when I fall asleep in bed, and I know they are tough and won't break if I roll over them. I would not do that with the new phones.

I have a 25-foot cable from RAAL to connect my office system with the TI-1b which is in a bedroom. I get the cable out whenever I listen in bed.
Wow relegating a world class headphone to beater duty huh??

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #140 of 2,395
Wow relegating a world class headphone to beater duty huh??
Sort of but listening in bed it rather therapeutic for my broken down body.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #142 of 2,395
I just do not believe the Ca1a ever received the respect it deserves. It deserved more time to shine and I believe after the smoke clears it'll still have life and maybe in the long term gain alittle more prestige it deserves for its excellent tonal balance and sq per $$
Problem with the CA-1a is that it does not look the part. It looks like a prototype; I love the sound and I am not a huge fan of circumoral phones.

There was a review of the CA-1a that liked them better than the SR1a, ONLY because the reviewer did not feel it made him look funny. Nothing to do with the sound. So, appearance and status are important. Not for me, but for many.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #143 of 2,395
Problem with the CA-1a is that it does not look the part. It looks like a prototype; I love the sound and I am not a huge fan of circumoral phones.
Meh beauty is so subjective, I'll admit that when I first saw it I thought her to be ugly as well lol However after closer examination I see it's beauty the turned frames and angles of the cups are quite appealing to me now.

But as you say, the sound is where the true beauty is and I'm glad I gave them a chance, I doubt I'll ever sell them unless they are the gap between my budget and one of the new models 😆

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #144 of 2,395
My comment wasn't to diminish the new models rather to state that just because there is a new model doesn't make the old one sound worse than it did before the new release. I do know that the Ca1a plays at the level of my Susvara however, and to suggest simply because there is a graduation of technology in a new release will not make my Susvara all of a sudden no longer world class or totl. And if that's the case, then neither will a new model do so to the Ca1a.
of course the old models won’t sound worse, I didn’t say they would. I’m saying, purely based on what Alex has written (these are not my words I’m paraphrasing Alex) that Magna is the new TOTL, not just of ribbons 🎀 but of all the headphone technologies, and Immanis is yet another step above Magna. But you also have to accept that what was once world class eventually is superceeded; then your TOTL’S become ‘classics’ or some other classification. I don’t know this yet, I’m just looking forward to hearing them.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #145 of 2,395
Sure, but looking back in time I've seen it play out differently as so many have stood the test of time. I'm not suggesting the new model won't be better, that was never the intent of the post. I've just learned probably because I'm not rich lol, to hold my enthusiasm to "upgrade" as there will always be something one person calls "better" while another may suggest perhaps.. not so.

For example, I've heard for years people denigrating ultrasone headphones calling them garbage, well I'm sitting here listening to a pair of Edition 5's that sound absolutely stunning to me.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #146 of 2,395
Alex, in addition to the Immanis and Magna, can we expect a new version of the SR-1A/B, which I love and find great?
Alex could somehow reduce the size of the baffle and make a Magna-like version with 2 ribbons per side. I suspect this might have issues with weight and feeling unbalanced with the baffles wide open. But hey, Alex likes a challenge. I also agree that it’s a good question. We do need to know if the Raal-Requisite line will continue to develop or if Raal 1995 is the end of the line for SR1 and CA1.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #147 of 2,395
Sure, but looking back in time I've seen it play out differently as so many have stood the test of time. I'm not suggesting the new model won't be better, that was never the intent of the post. I've just learned probably because I'm not rich lol, to hold my enthusiasm to "upgrade" as there will always be something one person calls "better" while another may suggest perhaps.. not so.

For example, I've heard for years people denigrating ultrasone headphones calling them garbage, well I'm sitting here listening to a pair of Edition 5's that sound absolutely stunning to me.
I also wanted to say that no matter how far Magna and Immanis may or may not raise the bar that as soon as you add €£$‘s into the discussion CA1a probably rises to the top in terms of sound quality for the price. Naked CA1 for $2000 is a genuine bargain relative to its rivals.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #148 of 2,395
I also wanted to say that no matter how far Magna and Immanis may or may not raise the bar that as soon as you add €£$‘s into the discussion CA1a probably rises to the top in terms of sound quality for the price. Naked CA1 for $2000 is a genuine bargain relative to its rivals.
Yes 💯 And I think that Raal is destined to conquer the headfi arena as they were so close already with the Ca1a and sr1a to not only Susvara but the top of the top, system based giants like He 1 are at severe risk of losing their crown.

I say this because if it's true that these are better, than not only existing Raal requisites but other giants such Susvara, TC, Lcd5 (Ca1a Sr1a etc then there isn't really another tier for them to conquer, than to at least being equal to the Shangri-La Sr, x9k otherwise it's a crabshoot and they simply fall back into the category where they already existed.

Excited to see if these represent an evolution or simply refinement

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #149 of 2,395
Alex, in addition to the Immanis and Magna, can we expect a new version of the SR-1A/B, which I love and find great?
I have gathered certain insights while working on M+I, that I would like to incorporate in open-baffle headphones.
But, I don't yet know exactly how.
I think I could come out with new open baffles in 2 years. Most probably with a fixed angle of "wings" and a some additional padding top and bottom for less wiggly wearing and deeper bass.
Still, all that is far away from now, as first I will have to decide if they should become "system" headphones (with dedicated amps), or a free product, or a mix of both, depending on the model tier...

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 16, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #150 of 2,395
I know this, regardless of how good these new multi ribbon raals sound, my Ca1a will still be underrated and relevant as a totl choice that rivals the best.
actually IMHO the sr1a will remain the truly special HP...one which no matter how good the new ones are will be something different and special

Users who are viewing this thread

Back