RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #91 of 2,113
Did you ever have the chance to try your new creations on a Feliks Envy eith 32 Ohm Interface?
Yes, I've tried it on three different occasions, with the Feliks show staff present. Great amp and great crew, unfortunately, not a good match for CA or SR. Since our new models are a bit more sensitive, I'm hopeful there may be a possible match. If possible, I'll try again during NYC, CanJam.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #92 of 2,113
According to the 6Moons article, the new 300B amp sounds better than the VM-1a, just as I feared. :triportsad:

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #94 of 2,113
Is that a problem? Does it mean the VM1 is now a terrible sounding amp?
It's a problem for us who want the best sound possible.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #95 of 2,113
Is that a problem? Does it mean the VM1 is now a terrible sounding amp?
It means the guy reviewing it liked the 300B better. If we all had the same hearing and same gear it could be a problem for me too.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #96 of 2,113
According to the 6Moons article, the new 300B amp sounds better than the VM-1a, just as I feared. :triportsad:
I think that was just quoting Aleksander, who posted the same thing here. Not to question his assessment--I presume he's right. But who knows how other people will perceive the differences? Even if the new 300B amp is superior, I'm optimistic it won't completely tank the resale value of the VM-1a since it'll be a unicorn now that it's being discontinued, and I anticipate the new 300B will be at a much higher price point.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #97 of 2,113
It's a problem for us who want the best sound possible.
the VM is so good it is likely a coin flip with any new amp..we all fall into the gotta have the new thing, I do for sure but I have no such inclination with the VM

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #98 of 2,113
the VM is so good it is likely a coin flip with any new amp..we all fall into the gotta have the new thing, I do for sure but I have no such inclination with the VM
Yeah I fear for Cigga. Wanting the ‘best possible sound’ surely can only lead to becoming an unhappy paranoid wreck. The best possible surely doesn’t even exist. What does ‘best’ actually mean? I enjoy music most when there is an emotional connection or response to the music; this doesn’t necessarily happen when the sound is the ‘best‘. And there I go saying the word ‘best’ again and I still don’t know what it means. Does best mean that it sounds exactly the same whether you’re listening to music through your phones or seeing it played live by the same musicians? We’re all different, we hear things differently, we prefer different genres, we’ve had different experiences in life, our brains are different. So what help can we give to Cigga for him to find his best possible sound?

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #99 of 2,113
Reading back through the 6moon article, I saw the ribbon drivers have 4mm of excursion, that's pretty crazy, I didn't realize they moved that much. No wonder we find the bass impact so good, they have the lightness/speed of an estat but the excursion of a dynamic.

I really have fallen in love with the ribbon style drivers. I even switched over to magnepans for my speakers (they're "quasi-ribbon", not true ribbon but still)

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #100 of 2,113
Reading back through the 6moon article, I saw the ribbon drivers have 4mm of excursion, that's pretty crazy, I didn't realize they moved that much. No wonder we find the bass impact so good, they have the lightness/speed of an estat but the excursion of a dynamic.

I really have fallen in love with the ribbon style drivers. I even switched over to magnepans for my speakers (they're "quasi-ribbon", not true ribbon but still)
years ago when I owned B+W speakers I was often tempted by Magnepan speakers...

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #101 of 2,113
I had the exact same reaction! I can't wait to hear these things. The potential is there. I had in mind to add a good e-stat setup to my arsenal, but those plans are on hold while I see what the Immanis is cable of.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #102 of 2,113
Yeah I fear for Cigga. Wanting the ‘best possible sound’ surely can only lead to becoming an unhappy paranoid wreck. The best possible surely doesn’t even exist. What does ‘best’ actually mean? I enjoy music most when there is an emotional connection or response to the music; this doesn’t necessarily happen when the sound is the ‘best‘. And there I go saying the word ‘best’ again and I still don’t know what it means. Does best mean that it sounds exactly the same whether you’re listening to music through your phones or seeing it played live by the same musicians? We’re all different, we hear things differently, we prefer different genres, we’ve had different experiences in life, our brains are different. So what help can we give to Cigga for him to find his best possible sound?
the way I look at it is because there is no best I own several different HP's depending on my mood...some are better for acoustic ,some for vocals, some to listen to Led Zep etc....some have wider soundstages some have more bass....we all have preferences and there is no best but there are in my opinion tiers...and to me the top tier of HP's today would be the Raal HP's..susvara and abyss 1266...again there is no absolute best although my SR-1a does seem to get the most headtime..to search for the "best" would lead me to an appointment in a mental institution lol

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #103 of 2,113
the way I look at it is because there is no best I own several different HP's depending on my mood...some are better for acoustic ,some for vocals, some to listen to Led Zep etc....some have wider soundstages some have more bass....we all have preferences and there is no best but there are in my opinion tiers...and to me the top tier of HP's today would be the Raal HP's..susvara and abyss 1266...again there is no absolute best although my SR-1a does seem to get the most headtime..to search for the "best" would lead me to an appointment in a mental institution lol
and it isn't just genre. Over the last couple years I have been really surprised how some unknown changes in my own health, barometric pressure, sunshine, whatever change the way I hear a headphone. And proximity to one headphone (in terms of listening hours) also matter for me. If I have listened all week to the SR1a, everything else sounds broken for the first hour. And if my sinuses are inflamed, or I am tired, I like different presentations. I am just back from CA yesterday. Before I left I was ready to sell my Verite Closed. Today, as the first headphone I threw on, they sound amazing. And I cannot hear the tree removal going on across the street, lol.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #104 of 2,113
Well, on page 1 of this thread Alex states that it’s the Magna that sets a new level of performance, not just for ribbons but for all headphone technologies; a true TOTL. And then along comes Immanis and raises the bar even further. Alex has so far given us no reason to doubt this. I suspect most if not all of our collections be they small or large will be seeing little or no use in future.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #105 of 2,113
Well, on page 1 of this thread Alex states that it’s the Magna that sets a new level of performance, not just for ribbons but for all headphone technologies; a true TOTL. And then along comes Immanis and raises the bar even further. Alex has so far given us no reason to doubt this. I suspect most if not all of our collections be they small or large will be seeing little or no use in future.
Unless of course there’s some tree felling going on across the road….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back