RA1/RS1 seem thinner
Feb 21, 2003 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

younglu

New Head-Fier
i've recently replaced the panasonic portable headphone-jack with the new-bought RA1 to drive the RS-1. The details are much clearer and much more than the portable's jack. But the sound now seems much thinner and lacks bass boost comparing to the jack. i also tied another pioneer dvd-player as the source, which resulted the same. how about this problem and do you meet it? the rs-1 has been running for 1 year and i don't think it has not been "burnt-in".

Feb 21, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by younglu
But the sound now seems much thinner and lacks bass boost comparing to the jack. i also tied another pioneer dvd-player as the source, which

This is likely due to the fact that the RA-1 does not have a bass boost feature. An oversight on Grado's part.

Feb 21, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 7
The RS-1 should not need bass boost. However, the thin sound is a result of the stock pads. Sennheiser sells pads for the HD-414 that can be cut to fit the RS-1. This fills in the midrange nicely. You can do a search to find more information on this.

Feb 21, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 7
here comes some attempts to explain what you're experiencing:

the ra-1's strong point amonst most of its fans is its neutrality. it is known for not adding much color to the sound. however, i do find it to be very smooth and slightly rolled off. the details that you're hearing are the rs-1's being powered better and more clearly. in my experience, i find that the rs-1's are very lacking without an amp. without an amp, i feel they sound harsher and even more bright with less bass. an amp really helps to even out the sound of the rs-1.

in my opinion, i'd say give it a week. listen to the ra-1 for an album or two, and then switch back to your headphone jack. i think you'll find the ra-1 to be a better choice, but if not.. you can always sell the ra-1 and get a meta42.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Batteries is one reason the RA-1 *could* sound a little thin in bass. It happens everytime the voltage drops and I have a sigh of relief when I use fresh ones.
FYI: I get the best results running the unit at 2x9.5V (2 x 7 x AA NiCd). Others use 9.6v NiMHs.

I also get better bass with a Stancor powered ART DI/O vs. Sony 500V, so sources do make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back