RA-1 with RS-1.... What??
Dec 8, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
However, and I can't get my head around this, so to speak--I haven't discovered a single setup that makes me say "wow, this is what it's supposed to be like!" And that's what's so frustrating.

That's what drives most of us to the likes of SDS-XLR's and HE90's
tongue.gif
Finding a perfectly "right" sound for you is a very difficult process, and seldom truly acquired. I'm at the point now where i'd have to throw away vast amounts of money i don't possess to correct the last few flaws in my rig, so i'm choosing instead to be content with what i have, and just buy more music
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm going to give the RA-1 one more try tomorrow. Right now I'm enjoying my RS-1's out of my Perreaux. Of course, now that I still love the RS-1, I'm torn about which pads to use. But I guess that's a different thread (which I'll probably start shortly!)

Dec 9, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 32
I was all excited to hear the RS-1/RA-1 combo. When I finally did, my reaction was simply, "what's the hype about?" That being said, my expectations were pretty high. For a cheap amp, it sounded pretty good with the RS-1s, but I certainly didn't think it sounded any better or even as good as the RS-1s with my Gilmore or Prehead.

Dec 9, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 32
I think that because the Perreaux is slightly darker amp, it works well with the RS-1. I listen to lots of different sorts of music, but when I listened to any sort of classical music through the RA-1, I didn't like the balance, no matter what pads I used. I think its very interesting, and now I'm curious as to how much better these RS-1's can sound with an even high quality amp than the SXH1 that I have. Wow... this is starting to sound expensive.
icon10.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
May I interject with an an alternative? Maybe you just plain don't like the Ra-1/Rs-1 combo.

While it may be said that the above combo is held in high regard by esteemed members, there is only one member you should be listening to...your ears.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

To the OP: Do what you need to do while you can still get a refund.

Dec 9, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

To the OP: Do what you need to do while you can still get a refund.

Yeah, I'm going to call Todd today. Of course now that I am returning the RA-1, I might be still in the market for another amp.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Yeah, I'm going to call Todd today. Of course now that I am returning the RA-1, I might be still in the market for another amp.
rs1smile.gif

A millett hybrid or a gilmore lite would be a good choice.

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 32
This was going to be on one of my future amp list because of the high praise as it being good synergy with grado's from others that have had the combo but now this
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
This was going to be on one of my future amp list because of the high praise as it being good synergy with grado's from others that have had the combo but now this
confused.gif

It really could be just me. I mean, so many others have loved the combination. But I also listen to a large amount of classical/chamber music as well as more ambient instrumental stuff (like Mum and Sigur Ros) that I wasn't thrilled about. I think what it was is this: I liked my HD650's but thought they were to recessed. The RS-1 is very different, not recessed, but also romantic, so to speak. The RA-1 just pushed the RS-1 into territory that was too forward for my tastes. I like the combo of a warm/dark amp like my Perreaux with the romantic/treble happy sounds of the RS-1. YMMV.

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 32
I decided to, what the heck, try out the RA-1 one more time before I sent it back to Todd. I decided to listen to some Coldplay with the flats through my Arcam. With the Perreaux, the flats lose that sparkle in the treble region (and I usually have to use reverse bowls in that case). But now the RA-1 sounds good with flats. Crazy. But I'm still not convinced of the RA-1 with classical, which frankly is a big part of my music collection. I think I might want to hear a Blueberry Audio or a Gilmore Lite.

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

I decided to, what the heck, try out the RA-1 one more time before I sent it back to Todd. I decided to listen to some Coldplay with the flats through my Arcam. With the Perreaux, the flats lose that sparkle in the treble region (and I usually have to use reverse bowls in that case). But now the RA-1 sounds good with flats. Crazy. But I'm still not convinced of the RA-1 with classical, which frankly is a big part of my music collection. I think I might want to hear a Blueberry Audio or a Gilmore Lite.

This was one beautiful sounding combo
biggrin.gif

IMG_0201.jpg

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

It really could be just me. I mean, so many others have loved the combination. But I also listen to a large amount of classical/chamber music as well as more ambient instrumental stuff (like Mum and Sigur Ros) that I wasn't thrilled about. I think what it was is this: I liked my HD650's but thought they were to recessed. The RS-1 is very different, not recessed, but also romantic, so to speak. The RA-1 just pushed the RS-1 into territory that was too forward for my tastes. I like the combo of a warm/dark amp like my Perreaux with the romantic/treble happy sounds of the RS-1. YMMV.

A lot of headfiers do not like the Rs-1's for classical/opera and thus prefer the hd650's. But I also like to use the Rs-1's for this type of genre even though I have only a very small collection of it.

Maybe there are some headfiers who live near you that you could take your Rs-1's round and try it on their systems to find something you like. Or if you get lucky maybe a headfier will send you an amp to try.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 32
I have switched back to my 650's for some large scale classical, but for small stuff like sonatas, the RS-1 seems perfect.

I think that I should post something asking anyone in Milwaukee with nice amps to respond to. What forum should I put that in, would you suggest?

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

I have switched back to my 650's for some large scale classical, but for small stuff like sonatas, the RS-1 seems perfect.

I think that I should post something asking anyone in Milwaukee with nice amps to respond to. What forum should I put that in, would you suggest?

Post in the F/s forum with a post you would like to try some amps for your Rs-1's. Maybe someone close to you may be able to help you out.

Good luck in your amp search.

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 32
Your description of the sound of the RA-1 matches my experi3ence of the sound of both the RA-1 and the Samuels SR-71 IF (and only if) the batteries are low or bad. That being said, I never thought the RA-1 was a fabulous amp, I've since owned a series of amps (admittedly most were more expensive) that just left the RA-1 in the dust. It's a decent amp, but to my ears, there are several choices out there that you may well love better, synergy questions aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back