RA-1 with RS-1.... What??
Dec 8, 2005 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
When my RS-1 sounded better out of the headphone jack of my iPod umamped than it did through its mate, the RA-1, I realized something was out of whack. I've had my RS-1's for a week today, with nearly constant burn in. I was all set to love them, and nearly did. I bought the RA-1 because of the synergy that these two supposedly have for one another. Respected Head-Fi'ers such as Tuberoller wrote that the combo of the two of these cans was amazing. Yet now... it sounds anemic, ironically missing that sweet midrange that the Grado's are known for. I was previously burning the RS-1's out of my Perreaux SXH1 which sounded pretty darn nice with the RS-1's.

I don't know if the RA-1 needs to burn in more...if I have a somehow faulty unit... or if I just can't get used to their synergized sound.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm very frustrated at this point.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 32
That is indeed quite strange.

I am going to have to blame the source as the likely culprit. The lack of midrange is not a trait I would say either the RA-1 or RS-1 exhibit normally. I recommend trying any other sources you might have and see if the issue is alleviated any.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
That is indeed quite strange.

I am going to have to blame the source as the likely culprit. The lack of midrange is not a trait I would say either the RA-1 or RS-1 exhibit normally. I recommend trying any other sources you might have and see if the issues is alleviated any.

I'm using my Arcam CD73, I'd highly doubt that's the problem. I'll try line out from my iPod into the RA-1 and then see what that sounds like.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1

I am going to have to blame the source as the likely culprit.

I don't think so. The OP implied that the midrange problem wasn't there when he used the same source with a different amp (SHX1). That and the Arcam is a solid source.

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I don't think so. The OP implied that the midrange problem wasn't there when he used the same source with a different amp (SHX1). That and the Arcam is a solid source.

Ide agree but in my experiense with the RA-1 it was always anything but lacking in the mids... perhaps if could be a matter of taste or there might be some trouble with the amp

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 32
I decided to switch back to my SXH1, still using the RS-1's and the Arcam. It sounds so much better, I nearly fell of my chair. There's more bass, the treble's a little less harsh, and the mids are right there. I was A/Bing with the same exact song, and a song I know practically by heart.

This is really odd. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Could it be a bum RA-1? Or does it just need more time?

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 32
Perhaps you've got a bad battery? Or is it the AC version?

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
I decided to switch back to my SXH1, still using the RS-1's and the Arcam. It sounds so much better, I nearly fell of my chair. There's more bass, the treble's a little less harsh, and the mids are right there. I was A/Bing with the same exact song, and a song I know practically by heart.

This is really odd. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Could it be a bum RA-1? Or does it just need more time?

May I interject with an an alternative? Maybe you just plain don't like the Ra-1/Rs-1 combo.

While it may be said that the above combo is held in high regard by esteemed members, there is only one member you should be listening to...your ears.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
May I interject with an an alternative? Maybe you just plain don't like the Ra-1/Rs-1 combo.

While it may be said that the above combo is held in high regard by esteemed members, there is only one member you should be listening to...your ears.

I hate to say it, but I think you might be right. My ears love the RS-1, but have gotten accustomed to the HD650's lulling embrace. I tried playing some solo violin sonatas, first the the HD650 and then with the RS-1. The Grados sounded harsher, and almost hollow, in a strange way. They sounded great for a lot of rock music, but not good enough for me to justify the four figure price for the combination. Oh well... I'm glad Todd's got that 30 day trial period.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

I hate to say it, but I think you might be right. My ears love the RS-1, but have gotten accustomed to the HD650's lulling embrace. I tried playing some solo violin sonatas, first the the HD650 and then with the RS-1. The Grados sounded harsher, and almost hollow, in a strange way. They sounded great for a lot of rock music, but not good enough for me to justify the four figure price for the combination. Oh well... I'm glad Todd's got that 30 day trial period.

Now if you find the Rs-1 harsh with the Ra-1 when playing violins then I think you are of a good opinion to ditch it.

The Rs-1's are famed for the timbre recreation of woodwind instruments. This doesn't sound like the Rs-1.

incidentally are you using bowls?

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 32
I am using bowls. I tried flats (ordered them at the same time as the phones) but frankly didn't like the way they changed the sonic spectrum. For the hell of it, I'm going to slap the flats on and listen again to the violin music. Report to follow...!

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

I am using bowls. I tried flats (ordered them at the same time as the phones) but frankly didn't like the way they changed the sonic spectrum. For the hell of it, I'm going to slap the flats on and listen again to the violin music. Report to follow...!

try reversing the bowls as well

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 32
Hmm... okay, now things got a little more complicated. I like the sound of the RS-1 with flats... for the violin music. I'm still using the SXH1. One of the other strong points of the RS-1 is supposed to be female vocals. So, I'm going to really put it to the test. Gorecki's Symphony #3, which has deep bass strings and a soprano in the mix. I'll use flats this time also.

I don't know whether I love the fact or hate the fact that pads affect the Rs-1's so dramatically. It's good for customizing the sound... but in a way is frustrating because you have to work to get the quality you like. And I'm lazy.
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 32
I'm not using the RA-1, but i have gone from the HD650s to the RS-1s. when i first got them, i was simply dumbfounded at how crappy they sounded! And the amp i was using (Blueberry Audio Emotion) seemed to make it worse compared to my other amp (10yr-old Headroom Supreme), which otherwise seemed an inferior amp. Flats helped at first, and i couldn't stand bowls for a long time. But, time marched on, and now (several months later) the 650s and the Supreme are gone, and i'm diggin' the bowls more and more, using the same equipment. So maybe you just need to let yourself adjust to the sound? The two headphones you've mentioned are quite different from each other.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 32
Here's my perspective on the different pads, at least from what I've experienced. The flats get rid of the harshness of the treble, at the expense of some perceived detail. Bowls are too harsh, but lack the visceral bass of the flats. Reverse bowls are somewhat of a compromise between the bowls and the flats.

However, and I can't get my head around this, so to speak--I haven't discovered a single setup that makes me say "wow, this is what it's supposed to be like!" And that's what's so frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back