RA-1 Hiss
Aug 22, 2001 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 47
RA-1 Update (8/23/01):
Grado Labs has had my RA-1 since last Tuesday (8/14). I called last Friday (8/17) and they told me it would be shipped back Monday (8/20). As I only live about 70 miles away, I should have received it by now (8/23). So I called. I just got off the phone with them and they said, "We could find nothing wrong with the amp, so we're sending you a replacement." Maybe my hearing is better than I thought..............but there was a clearly audible hiss in the right channel at all volume levels. It was very slight with my Grados, but annoying on the CD3000s. This statement by Grado does not inspire much confidence..................I hope the person (people?) who listened to my amp are not involved in product development.
mad.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

"We could find nothing wrong with the amp, so we're sending you a replacement."

Maybe I should send them my SR325 and get a new pair. There is nothing wrong with them.

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #22 of 47
I think it shows where the heart of the Grado organization is. None of their tests showed anything they coudl find but they are sending you a new unit, just because your are dissatisfied with something. Imagine a car manufacturer doing that (without suing them first) or even Sony?

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by bearwise
I think it shows where the heart of the Grado organization is. None of their tests showed anything they coudl find but they are sending you a new unit, just because your are dissatisfied with something. Imagine a car manufacturer doing that (without suing them first) or even Sony?

UP with Grado
biggrin.gif

DOWN with Sony

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 47
I am just wondering what they are going to do with Joe's old amp.
Since they couldn't find anything they consider this unit to be perfectly ok... and I've never heard of refurbished Grados.

I think its possible that they repackage it and sell it as new, hoping that the new owner doesn't have ears quite as good as Joe's.
On the other hand they might just take the old case and put in a new (15$ worth of) board. But actually...this would't be 'new' either...

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 47
joelongwood,
Not to get you all fired up but unless your statement is out of context they don't state anywhere that it is a new amp just a replacement. You may want to clarify this with them.

Aug 22, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #26 of 47
Grado service is pretty good...but I really don't think sending a "replacement" of an amp they find perfectly working so astounding...think about it a little longer.

Send in a burning RA-1 that is charred to ashes and see if you get a replacement...thats a much better test!

Or even better...send in butterknife victims!

Aug 22, 2001 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 47
Redwoood: Maybe they can sell it on EBAY for double the price!
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Redwoood: Maybe they can sell it on EBAY for double the price!
biggrin.gif

Youre playing my song
people actually buy overpriced stufff on ebay
With a lot of time and effort you can live comfortably off ebay
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Not to get you all fired up but unless your statement is out of context they don't state anywhere that it is a new amp just a replacement. You may want to clarify this with them.

To be honest, I don't care if it's a return, a refurb, or something they found lying around. I just don't want to hear the damned hiss. As long as it's quiet, I'll be happy. Most of the stuff I have accumulated over the past 6 months is pre-owned (sounds better than "used"), and I've never had a problem with any of it. The RA-1 is one of the few things I've purchased new.......and look what happens. I should've known better.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 47
joelongwood,
Just wanted to make sure you weren't assuming you were getting a brand new one and would be disappointed. I certainly hope your hiss problem is resolved with this one! Let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back