RA-1 Hiss
Aug 23, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #31 of 47
I got the RA-1 back today...........it's definitely a different unit (different wood grain), and it looks brand new. No matter.......the hiss is gone.....well, almost!
Let me explain. I immediately popped two fresh 9V in and hooked up the CD-3000s. At first I thought the hiss was gone completely, but when I pressed the headphones against my ears tightly, I could hear a very, very slight hiss.....the hiss was so low that I had to really strain to hear it. So is the CD3000 revealing?......you bet! Then I put on the MS Pros......dead silence. Same with the RS-1s and 325s. Absolute dead silence at all volume levels. I'm happy. Now I think I'll put on some music. Thanks to all for their suggestions and responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 47
YAY! I'm very glad to hear that Grado took care of your hiss....

Aug 23, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

So how come I didnt get any party invitations for the return of your amp?

Actually, disturbed, there really wasn't much celebration. The RA-1, after testing for hiss and a short listening session, went back to it's rightful place on the shelf, replacing the Creek, which went back to the living room stereo cabinet. Both remain silent while I listen to the MS Pros hooked up to the latest Penguin CHA47 amp sent to me by JMT this week. I know people here will think I'm crazy, but for acoustic vocals, I have yet to hear anything better.........this new amp and the MS-Pros is, to my ears, a match made in Heaven......detailed, revealing, smooth, dynamic.....it's got it all. Maybe it's the weather?
wink.gif

And flashbak, I was very pleased with Grado service. Speaking to them on the phone gave me the impression of a small, customer-oriented family business.

Aug 24, 2001 at 1:16 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Actually, disturbed, there really wasn't much celebration. The RA-1, after testing for hiss and a short listening session, went back to it's rightful place on the shelf, replacing the Creek, which went back to the living room stereo cabinet. Both remain silent while I listen to the MS Pros hooked up to the latest Penguin CHA47 amp sent to me by JMT this week. I know people here will think I'm crazy, but for acoustic vocals, I have yet to hear anything better.........this new amp and the MS-Pros is, to my ears, a match made in Heaven......detailed, revealing, smooth, dynamic.....it's got it all. Maybe it's the weather?
wink.gif

And flashbak, I was very pleased with Grado service. Speaking to them on the phone gave me the impression of a small, customer-oriented family business.

Damn no party
smily_headphones1.gif

Well about the JMT amp
Ill soon know how good it is when I get it
Thanks JMT
biggrin.gif

NOw all I need is some cash forthe headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

And im pleased to know that Grado service is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you can give me your RA-1 as a return gift on your birthday
wink.gif

lol
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 1:48 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

NOw all I need is some cash forthe headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't even have the cans yet? I thought that you had some SR-325s. I do believe that this is a first.
confused.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 12:05 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

You don't even have the cans yet? I thought that you had some SR-325s. I do believe that this is a first.
confused.gif

LOL I think this is a first.

I audtioned a few pairs of Senns and Grados (Had a headphone dealer visiting the U.A.E. as a tourist and somehow entered my shop
wink.gif
) and I immediatly fell in love with the 325's so I borrowed them for a few days and unfortunately had to return them
frown.gif
as the customer was leaving the country NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Anyways I decided that I will buy a pair of 325's no matter what but maybe a portable amp would be nicer to go with my MZ-R900 and my 5 year old Aiwa discman (The old ones have really good quality dedicated line outs) so in comes Head-fi and headwize and finally I was convinced to get a DBSE amp namely JMT
There you have the full story now.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: and thats the problem...I wont get to test your amp until I have the green stuff to buy the cans
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 12:20 PM Post #41 of 47
Pity I didn't read this thread before, I might have solved your problem without you having to send the RA-1 back and forth with a simple suggestion...

I had the exact same problem with my RA-1, and the hiss was BAD. I thought I could live with it, until I tried a little experiment...which was to simply move my RA-1 away from my monitor. Instant dead, DEAD FLAT silence, even with the knob all the way up. Moral of my story...the RA-1 is rather poorly shielded, and can pick up stray signals very easily. If you get hissing out of the RA-1, the first thing you should suspect is your surrounding equipment, before suspecting the amp. Grado's reply that "nothing is wrong with the amp", and how even your replacement still contains even a small amount of hissing makes me even more suspicious it's your surrounding equipment, and not the amp's fault.

Try just disconnecting the RA-1 from your stuff, plug in some sensitive 'phones, crank the knob up, and walk around the house a bit...you'll see what I mean. I managed to get mine to sound like a ham radio, complete with the old style whirling sounds that came of of those radios, at certain points in my room.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 12:46 PM Post #42 of 47
Grado phono cartridges also pick up hum from turntable motors, amps and CD players, as they are not shielded.

Aug 24, 2001 at 1:55 PM Post #43 of 47
JMT - remember when you sent me your amp a while back? I'll be getting my 495s THIS weekend....
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2001 at 3:01 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

Try just disconnecting the RA-1 from your stuff, plug in some sensitive 'phones, crank the knob up, and walk around the house a bit...you'll see what I mean. I managed to get mine to sound like a ham radio, complete with the old style whirling sounds that came of of those radios, at certain points in my room.

Heh, now that would be a neat way to pick your ideal listening location. BTW, pick up any conversations?
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

coolvij wrote

JMT - remember when you sent me your amp a while back? I'll be getting my 495s THIS weekend.

Alright Vij!! Let us know how they sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back