RA-1 Clone Headphone Amp - Pics Inside!
May 12, 2004 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
EDIT: URL to auction removed.

Just saw this RA-1 CLONE HEADPHONE AMP on ebay. Looks mighty interesting...
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's pics:

RA_1_CLONE_HEADPHONE_AMP.jpg

RA_1_CLONE_HEADPHONE_AMP_1.jpg

Am I the only one who directly thinks of this amp when I see this:
GOT_Headphones_Amplifier.jpg

Not my auction etc....

May 12, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haribo
The toaster kicks ass
biggrin.gif

Pretty darn cool toaster, yes, your right..
lach_3.gif
but at $1000 a pot it should be..
winkphones.gif

May 12, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 24
isn't it the same guy who does both? haven't been on ebay recently, but awhile back i thought i saw it was the same guy. i think he specializes in custom wood enclosures...

May 12, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
isn't it the same guy who does both? haven't been on ebay recently, but awhile back i thought i saw it was the same guy. i think he specializes in custom wood enclosures...

sure look alike to me
wink.gif
Even the style of the picture and background ued...

May 12, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 24
Tom built me one of these cool enclosures and he really does nice work. He's a really nice guy to deal with and he could build other things in wood if you are interested.

May 12, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino

These are different guys. I met Nikolai a couple of weekends ago. He and his father are the designers of the "Toaster" amp. Nikolai does the woodwork on the amps. Nice fellow and enjoyed listening to his Toaster amp with his Music Hall -7 turntable. Actually it was their own phono stage design as well.
If Nikolai and the amp are available, we are trying to have it for the San Jose mini-meet. We'll see.

May 13, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 24
The seller wrote in the description that he uses "better parts" than the real model and thus should sound even superior to the real Grado Ra-1. I think some buyers who are not so well informed about amps in general will get suspicious about that.

Also, I'm not even sure if it would actually sound better. Grado Labs designed the RA-1 to sound just right with the Grado headphones (Isn't synergy what we're looking for all the time?) I supposed that's why there are so many positive feedbacks on the RA-1 with e.g. the RS-1 even if amps with better parts and more complex circuits are at hand.

May 13, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 24
Only thing I don't like the look of is that volume knob....on the RA-1 clone...
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 24
well not that anyone has asked but if they did ask my opinion i would say the guy is nothing more than a damn theif !

copying the work of another than selling it cheaper in DIRECT COMPETITION with the legitimate product company with overhead and a tax payer playing by the rules flat out sucks

another instance of a 'wannabee" electronics designer with nothing to bring to the party of thier own ,just copies of the work of others in a "pretty case"

if it were me being ripped of someone would be in for some misery

Rick

May 14, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 24
Does Grado have a patent on their product? If they dont then there is no argument here. This guy could implement a patent before Grado and sue them
tongue.gif

If Grado does have copyright laws in place for the RA-1 (dont assume this is automatically true...) then this guy is doing something illegal. But before you jump on him and call him names try to get the facts together.

Cheers!

May 14, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 24
would be more interesting if it had a bass boost that would match grados best.

however, i wonder how the sound of the upgraded parts works with the RS-1. how much does it cut from the high end and how.

May 14, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Does Grado have a patent on their product? If they dont then there is no argument here. This guy could implement a patent before Grado and sue them

Wrong, one cannot patent a product once it is on the market.

Quote:

If Grado does have copyright laws in place for the RA-1 (dont assume this is automatically true...) then this guy is doing something illegal. But before you jump on him and call him names try to get the facts together.

Wrong again. Copyrights arrise automatically at the creation of something copyrightable. Writing that something is copyrighted (or putting the symbol) is to remind others, but it is unnecessary.

-d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back