RA-1; anybody compared an upgraded clone to te original with the RS-1?
May 14, 2004 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus

May 14, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 22
bump

May 15, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 22
i'm interested in knowing what's the difference with the RS-1 for now
rs1smile.gif

May 15, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Count me in on this one too.
rs1smile.gif

I will be getting an RA-1 for my rs-1's in the future and this would help me decide if I should go for a "real" RA-1 or if clone with upgraded parts would be better.

Regards,
Dan

May 15, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 22
As I understand, the parts can be duplicated exactly. Though, what cannot be duplicated is the shielding the Grado Labs boasts about. While this might lower the noise floor, I doubt it'd do much to the sound. Also, with a clone RA-1, you can upgrade those cheap looking RCA, switches, and headphone jacks. Those would probably impact the sound more. I haven't heard the RA-1 or RS-1 for that matter, so I can't say much more....

May 15, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Also, with a clone RA-1, you can upgrade those cheap looking RCA, switches, and headphone jacks. Those would probably impact the sound more. I haven't heard the RA-1 or RS-1 for that matter, so I can't say much more....

same could be said for the original also !

But let us not forget the RA-1 was designed specifically to sound good with grado cans and the voicing is the combination of the end sound when used in unison

May 16, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 22
I have an RA-1 clone built with the exact same values as the original (opamp, caps and resister values). Upgrades consist of neutrik locking jack, Alps Black volume pot, 5N teflon insulated silver wire used for the signal section, Cardas rhodium plated RCA jacks. Having access to an original RA-1, I compared the 2 extensively, the clone sounds identical to the original, no better or worse. However, the clone does have better balance at very low listening volumes because of the Alps. My clone also has an xlr jack at the back for connection to a power supply(also diyed), if I choose not to use batteries. Given that the choice of opamp, solen caps and resister values are what gives the RA-1 its sound, the use of expensive premium parts for the rest of the amp will yield little improvement sonically.

May 16, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 22
You will not need the shielding if you use a Hammond case....the shielding is for the original wooden enclosures

May 16, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
It's amazing what costs $300 these days...

Well the in fact the mahogany chunk is still missing, along with the RCA, and battery sockets, but this pot is even better....LOL...

May 16, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 22
Those parts only costed me about $50 including everything in the pic plus a knob, dual 9V battery holder, led, power switch and headphone jack. The mark up on the original RA-1 is insane. The parts on the old amp are much lower quality as well. However it is amazing how good the amp is (from what other people say) for such a simple design. I have not listened to the amp but I might finally case it up and put it up for sale.

JV.

May 16, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Those parts only costed me about $50. The mark up on the original RA-1 is insane. The parts on the old amp are much lower quality as well. However it is amazing how good the amp is (from what other people say) for such a simple design. I have not listened to the amp but I might finally case it up and put it up for sale.

so you have the amp,never heard it but claim it betters the original parts even though you never did an A/B test and then claim the mark up of the original is insane,plus you might sell an untested amp that others have said should sound good !

heh ,i must be gettin' old .This almost actually makes some kind of sense

Have youever even listened to a Grado amp or a clone of it ?

and if so ,which actually the better sounding ?

(the original question here)

as for the price- obviously you have never run a legit business or you would know you do not sell a product at cost (i guess the build time ,packing and shipping have no monetary value either the time of someone not supporting a family being nothing but free time) or you will soon be out of business

oh yeah-don't pay your workers ,state and federal taxes , workmans comp,insurance , rent ,heat and lights ,etc the same thing happens

"out of business due to lack of a business mentality"

a home build on the kitchen table of the design of another using parts that "in theory" should sound better at a price less than the original (after all ,the real work has already been done hasn;t it) that had the R&D/protoyping/testing and reviews done for you is not a fair comparison .

Now if you spend a large amount of time designing your OWN amp and then upon listening to it conclude it betters the RA-1 ,then you send production units around to reviewers or just buddies and they also conclude it is a design of merit and it cost just $50 for parts to assemble each unit and you do not put a dollar amount on your time invested from start to finish so fifty bucks is the retail price of each amp

well

good for you man !

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back