R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #4,277 of 4,410
im a odd duck i like my music player to be simple android has to many features i dont need.

The ONE disadvantage with R5 is Android. It makes the interface slow and it drains a lot of battery in stand by. No idea why everyone is jumping on Android.

Would be nice to have the sound quality of R5 Saber but with Hiby OS!
R3 Pro sounds really good of course but R5 Saber sounds a bit more refined.
Probably Shanling M5s is the best option overall at the moment.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #4,278 of 4,410
The ONE disadvantage with R5 is Android. It makes the interface slow and it drains a lot of battery in stand by. No idea why everyone is jumping on Android.

Would be nice to have the sound quality of R5 Saber but with Hiby OS!
R3 Pro sounds really good of course but R5 Saber sounds a bit more refined.
Probably Shanling M5s is the best option overall at the moment.
One reason only, proper use of streaming services on the one device, including offline downloads.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #4,279 of 4,410
Hello, I'm trying to decide between R5 Saber and Shanling M3X, is there any common or long-standing software or hardware issue with the R5 Saber that I should factor in the decision? I read about the battery issues in this thread but seems like they're related to the original R5 only, is that right?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #4,280 of 4,410
Hello, I'm trying to decide between R5 Saber and Shanling M3X, is there any common or long-standing software or hardware issue with the R5 Saber that I should factor in the decision? I read about the battery issues in this thread but seems like they're related to the original R5 only, is that right?

You might want to wait a couple of days to see what the R5 Gen 2 brings to the table. I believe the announcement is tomorrow. I have an R5 (non-sabre) and an M3x. Both are similar and have no majors issues with software. The original R5 certainly had battery issues but I believe it was mostly caused by fast charging which overheated the battery. I'm still on my original battery, but I use 5W charging on all of my DAPs, unless I'm really in a hurry. I dont see any point in stressing the battery for an overnight charge.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #4,281 of 4,410
You might want to wait a couple of days to see what the R5 Gen 2 brings to the table. I believe the announcement is tomorrow. I have an R5 (non-sabre) and an M3x. Both are similar and have no majors issues with software. The original R5 certainly had battery issues but I believe it was mostly caused by fast charging which overheated the battery. I'm still on my original battery, but I use 5W charging on all of my DAPs, unless I'm really in a hurry. I dont see any point in stressing the battery for an overnight charge.
Ah I had heard something about a new model but wasn't sure whether they was true or not, I'll wait and see first then!

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #4,282 of 4,410
I have i have the non Sabre r5 I’m also curious if it’ll be worth upgrading.it’s no fun using Apple Music on it.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #4,283 of 4,410
I've got the original R5 and have had it a couple of years. Love the form factor, sound, MSEB, and 4.4mm which sounds great. I saw the NEW HiBy R5 which has double the battery life is on HiFi Go at about £300. Wow it looks Pukka. Good to see a medium range DAP still coming on the market.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #4,284 of 4,410
I've got the original R5 and have had it a couple of years. Love the form factor, sound, MSEB, and 4.4mm which sounds great. I saw the NEW HiBy R5 which has double the battery life is on HiFi Go at about £300. Wow it looks Pukka. Good to see a medium range DAP still coming on the market.

Still, the new one has the same processor and android version as the old one, which is a bit disappointing at almost 3 years later. If it had Android 10, I would pre-order. For now, I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it (I have the original R5 as well).

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #4,285 of 4,410
Still, the new one has the same processor and android version as the old one, which is a bit disappointing at almost 3 years later. If it had Android 10, I would pre-order. For now, I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it (I have the original R5 as well).
The new one has a different ESS processor I think. I won't upgrade the original R5 at the moment either. Mine still has enough battery life left for a few hours at a time and I love the smaller form factor of the original. The price is great though 😃.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #4,286 of 4,410
The new one has a different ESS processor I think. I won't upgrade the original R5 at the moment either. Mine still has enough battery life left for a few hours at a time and I love the smaller form factor of the original. The price is great though 😃.

Yes, the new one has a ESS DAC rather than a Cirrus which must be more power efficient along with a bigger battery (and bigger DAP). It also has "Class A" amplification mode which we will have to see if it makes a difference (although the battery is much shorter in this mode).

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #4,287 of 4,410
How do you guys find navigation of streaming services on the R5? Is it slow with that old CPU and 2GB RAM? I’m trying to assess the viability of the Gen 2.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #4,288 of 4,410
How do you guys find navigation of streaming services on the R5? Is it slow with that old CPU and 2GB RAM? I’m trying to assess the viability of the Gen 2.
I use Amazon HD and Tidal. Both Tidal through UAPP or through the Tidal App itself are fairly seamless, but Amazon which I use more can depend on their constant updates. Some have bugs that affect performance. I stick with an older version of the Amazon app that works well. In general the R5 does quite well as long as there is a good WiFi signal.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #4,289 of 4,410

I had no issue with the original R5.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #4,290 of 4,410

Navigation isn't terrible but it certainly isn't recent smartphone fast either. The small screen and keyboard are fairly hard to use. My biggest gripe is spotty wifi which certainly impacts streaming. Perhaps all of this will be addressed in the new version (except speed which should be the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back