R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #4,246 of 4,410
Yeah I’ve reached out regardless but it was purchased from a user on here. I will be SOL in terms of warranty. Just have a dead player for now until a potential self fix it seems
I think the battery replacement from HiBy is $20. Of course that excludes shipping fees which probably raise the repair to $80-$100 total. Which makes a self repair interesting.

Looking forward to hearing how the DIY battery replacement works. I have no idea how to even open the unit. FWIW, I hope that the battery on AE is correct. I was under the impression that the R5 battery was non-standard.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #4,247 of 4,410
I think the battery replacement from HiBy is $20. Of course that excludes shipping fees which probably raise the repair to $80-$100 total. Which makes a self repair interesting.

Looking forward to hearing how the DIY battery replacement works. I have no idea how to even open the unit. FWIW, I hope that the battery on AE is correct. I was under the impression that the R5 battery was non-standard.
Yes, I too am concerned as I heard the same thing about fitment. The back is simply glued onto the case and mine popped off when the battery swelled. I will just slide a very slim screwdriver between the edge and case and pry it off. Keeping it on after will be an issue if one doesn't have a case, which I assume all will as it comes with that ugly plastic case.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #4,248 of 4,410
Basically the same as what happened to mine but it shattered my back piece. They’ve given me some initial pricing but yeah, being UK based I assume the shipping is going to push the repair price. I’m also still waiting to hear back on pricing for a new back.

Most likely a paperweight/in the bin for me at this point as I’m not willing to sink too much money into a repair

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #4,249 of 4,410
Basically the same as what happened to mine but it shattered my back piece. They’ve given me some initial pricing but yeah, being UK based I assume the shipping is going to push the repair price. I’m also still waiting to hear back on pricing for a new back.

Most likely a paperweight/in the bin for me at this point as I’m not willing to sink too much money into a repair
You know if you have a case on it you don't need a back. As long as you don't get it wet it should work fine. Or just place the cracked back in place and then put the plastic case over it to hold it in place.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #4,250 of 4,410
You know if you have a case on it you don't need a back. As long as you don't get it wet it should work fine. Or just place the cracked back in place and then put the plastic case over it to hold it in place.
Yeah it’d just go back in the case without because it was in actual pieces. Many a tiny piece…

I doubt I’ll repair in the end as I said. For how little I used the player (because the battery was horrific - go figure) I’ll probably just say goodbye :)

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #4,251 of 4,410
Yeah it’d just go back in the case without because it was in actual pieces. Many a tiny piece…

I doubt I’ll repair in the end as I said. For how little I used the player (because the battery was horrific - go figure) I’ll probably just say goodbye :)
Can you share a photo of what the exposed back looks like? Just wondering how hard it will be to get to the battery.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #4,252 of 4,410

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #4,255 of 4,410
It looks like replacing the battery and back could be a breeze. Maybe contact Hiby and ask how much they'd charge to just send you both?
HiBy told me that they are not allowed to send lithium-ion batteries overseas, and the device must be sent back to them. There must be some customs law semantics involved, since a battery is being sent either way.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,256 of 4,410
HiBy told me that they are not allowed to send lithium-ion batteries overseas, and the device must be sent back to them. There must be some customs law semantics involved, since a battery is being sent either way.
Damn, I wonder if the battery can just be bought online in your location?
I confess that I'm not having any luck finding a 654779p on eBay or a quick Google search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back