R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 15, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #3,528 of 4,410
anyone has a solution for the bluetooth delay on android -> r5 -> iem ? i can quite see the delay is huge even ldac

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #3,529 of 4,410
anyone has a solution for the bluetooth delay on android -> r5 -> iem ? i can quite see the delay is huge even ldac
I believe that is simply the limitation of bluetooth versions less than 5.0 What you would want to look for both in the device you're streaming from, and the wireless headphones or iems you're streaming to, is "Low Latency." It reduces the delay down to a point where it's hard to notice. Otherwise, you're going to hear that delay.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3,530 of 4,410
Anyone else here audition the two (R5 and R5S) and can compare? I'm curious to hear additional opinions about the the difference (sound wise) between the two. Also, is anyone else wondering about the future possibility of a "The New R5" coming out with many of the upgrades of the New R6 but retaining the same power output of the R5? I'm wondering what's in store just a bit down the line..

Less bass more treble, well better extended with more revealing stuff like audio 64 tia iems. With mid stuff they sound kind of similar with vanilla having more bass presence. I borrowed my bros to compare head to head. It depends on what gear you use and what you prefer.

I can see people not liking the r5 saber as the low end is lighter. Comparing them side by side instead of memory the sound stage is about the same too. If you can get the original for less I would, the differences are minimal. I mean I still like the sound, but I did boost the bass with eq and mseb. I do agree that just some tuning and changing lpf's doesn't justify the price increase. It's 399.00 on Amazon :frowning2:

For that you can get ibasso 160, which really sounds different or for 50 bucks more (on sale) you can get cayin r3 pro and enjoy some tube magic- non android though. 299.00 would be a better price imo.

And don't get me wrong I'm not saying others are better because that's subjective, I'm saying if you want a different sounding dap from r5, r5 saber might not satisfy you. I just picked 2 close to that price range that I know sound absolutely different.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #3,531 of 4,410
I never used a volume limiter until now, with the R5. A word of advice here that I'm sure many of you are already aware of. Due to my ignorance, and naive belief that my hearing was indestructible, I listened to portable audio players with headphones and iems way, way too loud for decades, since the Walkman first became popular in the early 80s. People warned me, and I just didn't listen. Now my audiologist tells me I suffer from mild to moderate hearing loss and I'm unable to hear higher frequencies. With this comes the awful condition of tinnitus (high pitched tone) which is pretty damn loud 24/7, and which I've learned makes me even more susceptible to turning that knob up and doing further damage. I finally set that volume limiter to 54 (and may even set it lower soon), but not before the following occurred. The other day, as I was listening to a track, after I adjusted the volume on the screen of the R5, I was setting it down face up, and the edge of my pinky hit the volume adjustment curve, and pushed it up to it's maximum. It took a few seconds to tear the well sealed iems out my ears during which time I'm thinking I may've done even further damage, as my ears are ringing even more now. Don't allow this to happen to you and set that volume limiter to a reasonable level.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,532 of 4,410
Less bass more treble, well better extended with more revealing stuff like audio 64 tia iems. With mid stuff they sound kind of similar with vanilla having more bass presence. I borrowed my bros to compare head to head. It depends on what gear you use and what you prefer.

I can see people not liking the r5 saber as the low end is lighter. Comparing them side by side instead of memory the sound stage is about the same too. If you can get the original for less I would, the differences are minimal. I mean I still like the sound, but I did boost the bass with eq and mseb. I do agree that just some tuning and changing lpf's doesn't justify the price increase. It's 399.00 on Amazon :frowning2:

For that you can get ibasso 160, which really sounds different or for 50 bucks more (on sale) you can get cayin r3 pro and enjoy some tube magic- non android though. 299.00 would be a better price imo.

And don't get me wrong I'm not saying others are better because that's subjective, I'm saying if you want a different sounding dap from r5, r5 saber might not satisfy you. I just picked 2 close to that price range that I know sound absolutely different.
Thank you for this. I think you reinforced much of what I was thinking about the two. I agree 100% that ultimately, the difference is fairly subjective, based on the iems you're using, what your preferences are, and probably also what your hearing is like.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,535 of 4,410
Cayin is currently doing a US tour for the N3Pro. I am looking forward to comparing that to the R5 and the Cayin N5II (which still has a following). Not really an apples to apples exactly as one has to use single ended 3.5 to access the tubes in the N3Pro. I typically run the R5 in balanced (and the Cayin N5II). So for the test I will run everything -all 3 units - at 3.5 single ended.

At the end of the day it will surely come to the trade off of sound vs. running audio android apps. Without even hearing it I bet the N3Pro will have a slight sound quality advantage; the only question will be is that advantage worth giving up on apps. If I traded up to the N3Pro I would probably sell the N5II which is effectively a music only unit even though it runs Android. The N5II can really only run Tidal on-line and not much else.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,536 of 4,410
Cayin is currently doing a US tour for the N3Pro. I am looking forward to comparing that to the R5 and the Cayin N5II (which still has a following). Not really an apples to apples exactly as one has to use single ended 3.5 to access the tubes in the N3Pro. I typically run the R5 in balanced (and the Cayin N5II). So for the test I will run everything -all 3 units - at 3.5 single ended.

At the end of the day it will surely come to the trade off of sound vs. running audio android apps. Without even hearing it I bet the N3Pro will have a slight sound quality advantage; the only question will be is that advantage worth giving up on apps. If I traded up to the N3Pro I would probably sell the N5II which is effectively a music only unit even though it runs Android. The N5II can really only run Tidal on-line and not much else.
I'm interested in those comparisons, please share your impressions.

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,538 of 4,410
Hi, everyone! Just got my R5, update it to latest (1.92) firmware and got a few questions:
1. My hiby music app's "about" says: "R5 International Professional edition 1.6.0", but actual playstore version is "3.0.0 build 5480". Is it ok, or I can update the app somehow?
2. Hiby Music app shows discs of the multi-disc albums as seprate albums in album list, is there any way to avoid this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,539 of 4,410
Does anyone know if there's a way to open the R5 up? Something is wrong with my USB-C port. It feels loose and won't take a charge.

I literally started crying when I realized it. :frowning2:

I don't know what happened. I always took good care of it and I can't afford a new one. I just can't win lately...
Get your device to the cellphone service, they fix it in no time.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #3,540 of 4,410
Hi, everyone! Just got my R5, update it to latest (1.92) firmware and got a few questions:
1. My hiby music app's "about" says: "R5 International Professional edition 1.6.0", but actual playstore version is "3.0.0 build 5480". Is it ok, or I can update the app somehow?
2. Hiby Music app shows discs of the multi-disc albums as seprate albums in album list, is there any way to avoid this? Thanks!
1. Piece of paper that came with R5 says app on R5 is different from app in play store. It also begs you not to install the app from the play store.
2. No idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back