R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #3,541 of 4,410
Yesterday I was listening to my R5 connected to my hi system through a cable to the 3.5 port
Taking out the plug the brass ferrule flew across the room.
I took my R5 out of its leather case, the first time since it went in there (last April) to look at the unit properly
(BTW this is a replacement DAP after my original one froze and had to be sent back for repair).
Sliding my R5 out of it's leather case the back was completely loose it appears the case was holding it together.
I cleaned the double sided tape off the case and tried to sit the back in the slight indentation that it lays in.
No way will it fit. It sits about 2mm proud. It appears the battery has swollen and pushed off the glass back.
The black paint on the underside of the glass has also worn through in places with all the pocket movement.
I've never taken off the plastic protector from the back or removed the sticker with the product code on it.
Yesterday I email Hiby to tell them I didn't take off the back as I didn't want to void my warranty.
I've sent them loads of photos as proof.
This morning I get a reply to say it's out of it's one year warranty and I will need to pay to have it repaired!
I have an email from Hiby from last April saying it has just been shipped back to me.
When I received it, I noticed it was a new device with a completely different product code. So how can it be out of warranty?
I have replied to Hiby telling them it is still in Warranty by 3 months as they sent me a new R5 and did not repair my original device.
Watch this space.... :angry:

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #3,542 of 4,410
This morning I get a reply to say it's out of it's one year warranty and I will need to pay to have it repaired!
I have an email from Hiby from last April saying it has just been shipped back to me.
When I received it, I noticed it was a new device with a completely different product code. So how can it be out of warranty?
I have replied to Hiby telling them it is still in Warranty by 3 months as they sent me a new R5 and did not repair my original device.
Watch this space.... :angry:

Ouch!

I have no idea about warranty rules in the UK (or if Hiby are bound by them if you bought directly) - but in Australia I think the warranty period only applies from the original purchase date, even if they repair or replace a faulty unit within the warranty period.

I just got my R5 Saber but have read a few reports now of swollen batteries. Hopefully it isn't a widespread issue with these units.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #3,543 of 4,410
My device's battery got bloat in about a month after purchase. Bloat so much, that back cover was completely took off from the case. Never bother with warranty repair (they have me sent it back to china), replace battery in local cellphone repair shop. So, despite the good sound quality, never gonna touch any HiBY devices ever again.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #3,545 of 4,410
Luckily I have all the documentation clearly showing two completely different serial numbers for both devices.
(Spadge I hope you're wrong)
They have been sent proof of all this and as far as I'm concerned I still have 3 months warranty outstanding.
(DW75 thanks for the advice) I admit I do use a USB port to charge my R5 most of the time but will now think twice about doing so.
I love this little DAP but my patience is wearing thin regarding Hiby and the longevity of their products.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,546 of 4,410
Luckily I have all the documentation clearly showing two completely different serial numbers for both devices.
They have been sent proof of all this and as far as I'm concerned I still have 3 months warranty outstanding.
(DW75 thanks for the advice) I admit I do use a USB port to charge my R5 most of the time but will now think twice about doing so.
I love this little DAP but my patience is wearing thin regarding Hiby and the longevity of their products.
It’s sad because the issue you identified has occurred enough often that it continues to pop up on this forum. Even R6 2020 forum (or maybe R8?) had this issue reported. Seems clear it’s an underlying manufacturing weakness. Hiby ought not to squabble over replacement cost regardless of warranty time frame

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #3,548 of 4,410
Yeh, it's a shame, because their DAPs sound so awesome! I keep hearing about these battery issues, and the R3 Pro Sabre I bought a week or two ago had a defective battery right off the bat. The same model I purchased last fall had wifi issues. I wouldn't lay down any big money on these units, you don't know what they're going to do just a little later on.. Having said that, I liked the R3 Pro Sabre so much, I'll likely try a third time!

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #3,549 of 4,410
A final reply from Hiby this morning.

Please note.
HiBy device is guaranteed for one year warranty from the date of purchase under non-human damage.

So after one year you're on your own. They will not honor any defective battery they put in their devices.
Sad to say this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth so much so they will more than likely lose my custom over it.

If anyone can recommend a similar Android DAP I'd be very interested.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #3,550 of 4,410

Please note.
HiBy device is guaranteed for one year warranty from the date of purchase under non-human damage.

So after one year you're on your own. They will not honor any defective battery they put in their devices.
Sad to say this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth so much so they will more than likely lose my custom over it.

In fairness, this is a normal warranty offer and Hiby did offer to repair for a fee. Perhaps you should enquire what that fee might be, it could be quite affordable?
It's a shame that the BMS seems to have failed some customers though (or perhaps it's faulty cells, who knows), I can't help but think Hiby should make their devices safe to charge from any (typical) USB-C source, or supply a specific charger as part of the package.
Of course, if it's bad cells then I don't know what Hiby could do differently, apart from offering a warranty (which they already do), or an affordable post-warranty repair service (which they may do?)

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,552 of 4,410
I think that Hiby should update their website and manuals for their DAPs to all include the phrase "unit should only be charged by a 5v/2a wall charger, as USB charging may cause future battery failure issues". I have not seen anyone on the forum with a failed battery who was doing all their charges with a wall charger. Everyone who has had a failed battery was charging by USB port. This certainly does not excuse Hiby at all for this issue. They should be offering a warranty beyond the one year period if this problem occurs, as nowhere does it state in their manuals to not charge by USB. The battery is obviously not capable of handling being charged for extended periods of time. With a wall charger, it is fully charged again from low status after only 30 or 40 minutes.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #3,553 of 4,410

Please note.

The ibasso DX160 would be an excellent choice.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,554 of 4,410
I think that Hiby should update their website and manuals for their DAPs to all include the phrase "unit should only be charged by a 5v/2a wall charger, as USB charging may cause future battery failure issues". I have not seen anyone on the forum with a failed battery who was doing all their charges with a wall charger. Everyone who has had a failed battery was charging by USB port. This certainly does not excuse Hiby at all for this issue. They should be offering a warranty beyond the one year period if this problem occurs, as nowhere does it state in their manuals to not charge by USB. The battery is obviously not capable of handling being charged for extended periods of time. With a wall charger, it is fully charged again from low status after only 30 or 40 minutes.
How charging with low current could damage the battery? Battery could be damaged from temperature with high-current charger with QC. Also what I get from our local forums most damaged of players were used during charging which also could give a bad favor to the temperature mode of battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back