R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #3,496 of 4,421
Hey maybe its just me but I would keep the R5 and sell the R3Pro

I figured I really don't stream much and the r5 saber would be easier to sell, because it's well new ha ha. But I don't see squat about it so far. Other than my own and one other who just got it. And one review that was just 5 stars and said
'Hiby r5 saber'.

Seems underwhelming lol, but it's a really nice little unit. Especially at discount:wink:

Might have to Amazon it, I know I can get more than I have it listed here for.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #3,497 of 4,421
I figured I really don't stream much and the r5 saber would be easier to sell, because it's well new ha ha. But I don't see squat about it so far. Other than my own and one other who just got it. And one review that was just 5 stars and said
'Hiby r5 saber'.

Seems underwhelming lol, but it's a really nice little unit. Especially at discount:wink:

Might have to Amazon it, I know I can get more than I have it listed here for.

One question, do the hard transport buttons work as the R5? I ask because on my R5, the forward and back buttons are reversed in operation.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #3,498 of 4,421
Introducing the convolution function on the HiBy R5 / R6 / R6pro / R8

So this is a plugin that has been hidden well since it was released. On these Android players with semi-recent firmware, system level audio plugins are available. Today I would like to point to one of these in particular. To start with, I’ll simply show all the taps required to start using it, in order: (it’s simpler than it looks)
Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.pngPicture4.pngPicture5.pngPicture6.pngPicture6.5.pngPicture7.png

With the convolution module finally open, you may select the “configuration file” for use with the module:
Picture8.png

To get the ball rolling I’ll provide one of the better universal spatialization files I’ve created, for public use. Simply download this file to your R player and point this plugin to that file in the file browsing interface that comes up when you click as above:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgfYKqhO0dmaL6lnzkw?e=yuONdH

What is it?
It is hard to explain, although Wikipedia gives a technical one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution . In audio terms, I would put it as a way to specify filters for correcting audio output for specified output equipment (e.g. headphones) and / or simulate acoustic environments or setups (such as having the sounds of speakers coming from outside your head even while wearing headphones).

File formats
Convolution filters are specified as wave files, which to a computer are indistinguishable from the wave files of uncompressed PCM music. Here I will explain the different aspects of the wave files to look out for when choosing one for use with your system.

1. Sample rate
These filters are designed to work on music of a certain sample rate, and are themselves encoded at that same sample rate. On this plugin, convolver files are taken to be 44.1kHz and work on 44.1kHz files. By default, music files of other sample rates are not processed by the plugin; you can change this behaviour by unticking the “Other sample rate bypass” option in the interface.

2. No. of channels
The plugin may support wave files with 1, 2 or 4 channels, interpreting them in different ways. With single channel files, it applies the same filter described by that channel on both channels of music. With dual channel files, it applies each channel of filter on its corresponding music channel. With four channel files, the filters are applied in the following 4-way config which is instrumental in simulating a complete acoustic space with two speakers in room:

4-way.png

Done correctly, the cross-feeding channels not only do not narrow the soundstage, but can actually expand it, by providing realistic inter-aural cues for sounds even to the extreme left and right (which should not reach only one ear; the brain interprets this unnatural sound usually as a sound “inside” one ear rather than a sound to your left or right (which these filters should render correctly).

These spatialization filters are as many and varied as sand on the beach; for example, you can take matching pairs of wave files from the IRCAM database and put them together as your spatializer:

http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/

Or, you can go as far as to measure your own: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recording-impulse-responses-for-speaker-virtualization.890719/

In other news, the expansive AutoEQ database provides a wealth of correction data for hundreds of different headphones, that you can use in this plugin as follows:

1. Go to https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/

2. Search for the model of your headphones using Ctrl-F

3. Click into your model using the link in the list

4. Click on the [name of your headphones] minimum phase 44100Hz.wav link (e.g.) (do not right-click->save as), THEN save the file that comes up in the next page to your R player. Load the file in the convolution plugin.
1601473079467.png

(edit: unfortunately I must report that for now these is a bug in the convolver preventing these impulse files from AutoEQ from rendering correctly here. The problem manifests in periodic clicks in the output and the workaround for now is to insert a few samples of silence in front of the files downloaded here. I will work with HiBy to hopefully release a fix for this soon.)

It is also possible to combine headphone correction filtering with spatialization filtering, by convolving two wave files together before putting the resultant file in this module. You can do this by using the foobar convolution plugin, putting the 4-way spatialization wave file in the playlist and Converting it into a new 32-bit wave file using the headphone correction wave file as the convolver in DSP.

Finally, it is even possible to use this to apply any manner of parametric EQ or other effects to your R player, by simply first applying those effects to this base file
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgfYLzA64ieH1dAeGPw?e=I1sCll

e.g. in foobar by putting this file into the playlist then Converting it into a new file with a parametric EQ DSP in the DSP chain

then putting the resultant file in your R player and loading it in the convolver module.

Hello, I have been trying to use this feature for sometime then found this tutorial.
I'm using R8 at the moment and I have 2 iem (um mest & u18t), for the u18t it works fabulously, but with my mest there is a distorted clicking sound, tried to lower the db gain all the way to the left then increasing the volume; doesn't help too, the clicking sound is still there.
What could be the problem here?

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #3,499 of 4,421
Helo, I am planning tyo buy R5 Saber, afaik there are Chinesse Domestic Market (CDM) and International version, the question on the CDM is can I install App Store? I would like to use UAPP in it.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #3,500 of 4,421
Helo, I am planning tyo buy R5 Saber, afaik there are Chinesse Domestic Market (CDM) and International version, the question on the CDM is can I install App Store? I would like to use UAPP in it.
abitdeef is selling his unit. I assume his has access to the Play Store, hence UAPP. You really don't need UAPP on the R5 if you're looking to achieve bit perfect. It's already bit perfect.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #3,502 of 4,421
If I were to go up from the R5, it would not be because of sound quality or power (headroom). It would be because I wanted more Android CPU /memory processing oomph. Amazon Music HD is much snappier on my iphone which has way more computing power. But an iphone doesn't sound nearly as good as the R5. So there you have it.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #3,503 of 4,421
Hello, I have been trying to use this feature for sometime then found this tutorial.
I'm using R8 at the moment and I have 2 iem (um mest & u18t), for the u18t it works fabulously, but with my mest there is a distorted clicking sound, tried to lower the db gain all the way to the left then increasing the volume; doesn't help too, the clicking sound is still there.
What could be the problem here?
Sorry for the late reply; I was meaning to get this fone for you, but all it is is that there's currently a bug in the convolution module and the workaround is to make sure that the first sample of your impulse is silent (zero). So you just need to add a silent sample to the beginning of the wave file in e.g. Audacity.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #3,504 of 4,421
You can install (sideload) any app, but not via Google Play, which is not available to the Chinese device, nor can it be made available.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #3,505 of 4,421
Sorry for the late reply; I was meaning to get this fone for you, but all it is is that there's currently a bug in the convolution module and the workaround is to make sure that the first sample of your impulse is silent (zero). So you just need to add a silent sample to the beginning of the wave file in e.g. Audacity.

Is there any tutorial video on how to do it? I am quite new to this whole convolution plugin.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #3,506 of 4,421
I ordered the R5 Saber and sold my pristine R5 before it arrived. I’m not liking the sound of the R5 Saber over the original R5 and regret my decision. I was recently diagnosed with mild to moderate hearing loss with tinnitus, and told I’ve lost higher frequencies so this could have something to do with it. I could certainly understand someone else preferring the Saber as I don’t think I’m able to hear higher levels of detail like others without my hearing issues... I’d be willing to discuss a trade if someone has a newer, perfect R5 they’d like to swap..

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #3,507 of 4,421
Can any owners tell me what sort of battery life I could expect when streaming Tidal over WIFI when using balanced mode?

(I have an R5 Saber on the way and would love to know what to expect)

Also, are there any potential downsides of using a third party app (Poweramp, etc) to play local music instead of the HiBy app?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #3,508 of 4,421
Can any owners tell me what sort of battery life I could expect when streaming Tidal over WIFI when using balanced mode?

(I have an R5 Saber on the way and would love to know what to expect)

Also, are there any potential downsides of using a third party app (Poweramp, etc) to play local music instead of the HiBy app?

Thanks for any help.
No issues using other apps but streaming Tidal balanced on high gain will significantly decrease battery life- difficult to say how much because it's based on the volume and whether you're using headphones or IEM's.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #3,509 of 4,421
No issues using other apps but streaming Tidal balanced on high gain will significantly decrease battery life- difficult to say how much because it's based on the volume and whether you're using headphones or IEM's.

Thanks for the reply.

I figured the answer would probably be 'it depends' :).

I'd be using IEMs (SE846 and XBA-Z5)s for the most part - I'm guessing in low gain. I guess I'll find out soon enough - my R5 should arrive on Monday if the post isn't delayed.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,510 of 4,421
Thanks for the reply.

I figured the answer would probably be 'it depends' :).

I'd be using IEMs (SE846 and XBA-Z5)s for the most part - I'm guessing in low gain. I guess I'll find out soon enough - my R5 should arrive on Monday if the post isn't delayed.
Unless your listening with Tin P1's or P2's Idoubt your gonna even notice a benefit with balance versus single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back