R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,046 of 4,415
My R5 is still not here. Canada Post is continuing to give me the ****in run around, and claims the package is now lost. It has not moved anywhere in tracking for 2 weeks. I am not impressed.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #3,047 of 4,415
My R5 is still not here. Canada Post is continuing to give me the ****in run around, and claims the package is now lost. It has not moved anywhere in tracking for 2 weeks. I am not impressed.
I've also had problems in getting stuff late from overseas with Canada Post. I've had 2 sets of Urbanfun ISSO14 iems arrive 3 months after I ordered them. Last year around Christmas time, they lost 2 out of 3 ES100 dac/amps I ordered off Amazon. I eventually got them but they were 3 weeks after the promised arrival time. My suggestion is that, since Canada Post claims your R5 is lost, you put in a claim. They may tell you that it needs to be the seller who puts in the claim. Ask the seller to initiate this. Once they do, you might be surprised that someone from Canada Post contacts you to let you know they "miraculously found" your package. Problem with Canada Post is that they use private agents to deliver parcels, not the actual mail carriers. I can't tell you how many times these agents couldn't find my apartment (even though it's clearly specified on the delivery label as Rear Apartment). Twice, they were even told by the lady who runs a business at the front of my building, to walk down the laneway 25 feet and they would see my place. Lazy screws couldn't be bothered, and held my packages due to " suspected improper address information". I made alot of noise/complaints; but eventually I got my gear.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #3,049 of 4,415
Has anyone else experienced sporadic failed boot loading? It's only happened a couple of times and has been remedied with a hard boot holding the power and volume up buttons for several seconds, but concerning regarding longevity. Otherwise, I've really been enjoying this for the last few months. I am kind of getting the upgrade itch already, though, as I've gotten some better IEMs lately.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #3,050 of 4,415
Do you mean you get the android robot screen? Had that a few times always put it down to my clumsy fingers pressing volume at same time as powering it on.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,051 of 4,415
Do you mean you get the android robot screen? Had that a few times always put it down to my clumsy fingers pressing volume at same time as powering it on.
Yes, that's the one...with an open belly and gears and such with an error message (didn't bother taking a picture or anything). The first time it happened was after I let the battery drain and it powered itself down. Wouldn't turn on like normal after being plugged in, so I had to fiddle with it and hold buttons down a few times to figure out how to get it to reset. It's done it one other time since then during just a normal restart power cycle.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3,052 of 4,415
Yes, that's the one...with an open belly and gears and such with an error message (didn't bother taking a picture or anything). The first time it happened was after I let the battery drain and it powered itself down. Wouldn't turn on like normal after being plugged in, so I had to fiddle with it and hold buttons down a few times to figure out how to get it to reset. It's done it one other time since then during just a normal restart power cycle.
I had that yesterday too. I restarted the R5 and all was fine.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #3,053 of 4,415
Yeah, that definitely happens when the vol+ is accidently pressed while booting. I'd surely prefer a wheel/knob myself but getting used to avoiding pressing both buttons isn't too bad.

Totally OT, but the Netflix series "Dark" just introduced me to Asaf Avidan and his "Labryinth Song", holy crap, this is just incredible music, and he's an electrifying performer too, check out:
Labryinth Song
Her lies
Anagnorisis - album live release event: Youtube

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,054 of 4,415
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #3,056 of 4,415
I've had it happen 2 or 3 times, but a restart fixes it up. I think the newer firmware is more stable, it hasn't happened to me in a while. This is Android, and it can be funky sometimes.

New to Android, and I’ve read it can be buggy due to so many different makers of devices. Yeah, I just rebooted and it was fine, but it did scare me for a moment when I first saw the robot on its back.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #3,058 of 4,415
Hi. This is my first post here although I've been spending quite some time reading some of the forums in Head-fi.

I've read that some has bought the R5 from Aliexpress and I assume it's from the official Hiby store. I've chatted with them in Aliexpress about the warranty and it seems that we need to send it back to China for warranty issues and bare the cost for the postage as well. Is it true? Have any of you experienced in dealing with them on warranty issues?

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #3,059 of 4,415
Hi. I've posted this on other threads related to the DAP I'm considering. I'm planning to buy one DAP as I've bricked my iRiver H120 after attempting to change it's battery and I've done some small research on some of the DAPs.

I'm not an audiophile but rather just someone who loves music so correct me if I get my terms wrong. Most of my collection is in physical form but I've some collection of digital files which I've accumulated throughout the years. Seems like it's better for me to continue my music collection in digital format rather than in physical form for convenience and mostly due to cost so I'm thinking of investing in a DAP for long terms. Wish that I could get some input from this forum.:

My criteria
1. Streaming App
2. WiFi
3. Ample battery life.
4. USB DAC (not compulsory but good to have)
5. Price below USD 300
6. Neutral sound but not being too analytical. More to musical.
7. To keep for long term thus parts such as battery preferably replaceable.

My current headphone/IEM :
1. AKG Y50
2. Soundmagic E10
3. TIN T4

DAPs I'm considering :

Sony NW A105
1. Streaming app available but apparently it's downsampled?
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery poor. Require daily charging.
4. Need input on the sound quality. Most reviews mentioned only good sq better than phone, but how much better? And the sound signature, tone, etc.
5. USB DAC not available. Any possibility new firmware could make this available?
6. Priced below USD 300
7. Need input if battery is replaceable.

Hiby R5
1. Streaming app available.
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral but slightly warmer than DX160.
5. USB DAC function available.
6. Retail price above USD 300 but could get below 300 on sale
7. No visible screw for disassembly. Battery not replaceable?

Ibasso DX160
2. Wifi & BT available but poor reception/coverage
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral with slightly warm tone but less warm than R5
5. USB DAC function available
6. Retail price above USD 300 but hoping to get below 300 on sale.
7. Battery replaceable?

I couldn't test any of it from any shop yet thus I mainly rely on reviews. Appreciate if I could get some feedback. Also if there's is other suggestion on other DAP that I should consider?

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #3,060 of 4,415
Hi. I've posted this on other threads related to the DAP I'm considering. I'm planning to buy one DAP as I've bricked my iRiver H120 after attempting to change it's battery and I've done some small research on some of the DAPs.

I'm not an audiophile but rather just someone who loves music so correct me if I get my terms wrong. Most of my collection is in physical form but I've some collection of digital files which I've accumulated throughout the years. Seems like it's better for me to continue my music collection in digital format rather than in physical form for convenience and mostly due to cost so I'm thinking of investing in a DAP for long terms. Wish that I could get some input from this forum.:

My criteria
1. Streaming App
2. WiFi
3. Ample battery life.
4. USB DAC (not compulsory but good to have)
5. Price below USD 300
6. Neutral sound but not being too analytical. More to musical.
7. To keep for long term thus parts such as battery preferably replaceable.

My current headphone/IEM :
1. AKG Y50
2. Soundmagic E10
3. TIN T4

DAPs I'm considering :

Sony NW A105
1. Streaming app available but apparently it's downsampled?
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery poor. Require daily charging.
4. Need input on the sound quality. Most reviews mentioned only good sq better than phone, but how much better? And the sound signature, tone, etc.
5. USB DAC not available. Any possibility new firmware could make this available?
6. Priced below USD 300
7. Need input if battery is replaceable.

Hiby R5
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral but slightly warmer than DX160.
5. USB DAC function available.
6. Retail price above USD 300 but could get below 300 on sale
7. No visible screw for disassembly. Battery not replaceable?

Ibasso DX160
2. Wifi & BT available but poor reception/coverage
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral with slightly warm tone but less warm than R5
5. USB DAC function available
6. Retail price above USD 300 but hoping to get below 300 on sale.
7. Battery replaceable?

I test any of it from any shop yet thus I mainly rely on reviews. Appreciate if I could get some feedback. Also if there's is other suggestion on other DAP that I should consider?
I've had two iBasso DX160s and a HiBy R5. If you use Bluetooth avoid the DX160 it is atrocious. It does have a great natural sound but compared to the HiBy R5 is bulky and clumsy. The HiBy R5 has MSEB a system wide sound adjustment system. Although the base sound on the DX160 may be very slightly better the R5 can be tailored to your own taste. The R5 is smaller, but weighty. I had to return two DX160s because I often use a Radsone ES100. If you don't use Bluetooth the DX160 is good. I have kept my R5 and I am happy. I like the more adjustable sound on the R5. The screen on the DX160 is larger and easier to work with. Both have enough power to drive nearly all IEMs/Headphones. The HiBy has a better processor. I like the R5 form factor but the sound of my first DX160 was very holographic and enjoyable. It's a difficult choice. Streaming Amazon or Tidal is good on both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back