R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,461 of 4,421
Guys I have really stupid question.
I ordered case for Hiby R5 from Hiby store.
I live in France do I need to pay custom duty for it?

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,462 of 4,421
Unlikely for just the case.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,463 of 4,421
Good people. I suggest that discussions of Amazon Music HD be moved to the threads for that. Almost everything being discussed here is discussed there more thoroughly. FWIW; for playback on the R5 itself Amazon Music HD plays at correct bit rates. If a file is 24 - 96 it gets played at 24 -96; even though the unit can go to 24 - 192. That is not true for other platforms hence my suggestion that we move this to the correct thread.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,464 of 4,421
Just got my partner to sign up for trial so I can check it out. It's not bitperfect and upsamples all to 192/24 as I said garbage.
Just for the record, I would not objectively consider a player app to be "garbage" or even "significantly inferior" just because it does not output in bitperfect. It is certainly a heavily sought after feature on the market though.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #2,465 of 4,421
you have to check locally (at post office?).
In Czech (but i guess other European countries will be similar), everything over 22euro has to be declared and paid (20% VAT + 2% customs duties - starting next year it will be everything - no freebies).

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #2,466 of 4,421
In Czech (but i guess other European countries will be similar), everything over 22euro has to be declared and paid (20% VAT + 2% customs duties - starting next year it will be everything - no freebies).
Thank you for info

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,467 of 4,421

It varies hugely by country, and by the workload of customs. For example, I very luckily didn't need to pay VAT plus customs (25-30%) for Empire Ears Nemesis, while I've had orders cost 1/10 getting stuck in customs until I pay up.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,468 of 4,421
Good people. I suggest that discussions of Amazon Music HD be moved to the threads for that. Almost everything being discussed here is discussed there more thoroughly. FWIW; for playback on the R5 itself Amazon Music HD plays at correct bit rates. If a file is 24 - 96 it gets played at 24 -96; even though the unit can go to 24 - 192. That is not true for other platforms hence my suggestion that we move this to the correct thread.
It doesn't though Hiby R5 shows everything is outputting at 192/24 on latest firmware.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,470 of 4,421
Just bought an R5 from Musictek at the sale price, so I’m excited to get it. I’m going to use it pretty much exclusively for Radio Paradise—my favorite internet radio station—which streams 16/44.1 FLAC.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,471 of 4,421
Well, I pulled the trigger on one. First DAP, but I think should do nicely for my portable needs. After recently picking up the Abyss my audio fund nearly cleared out, however enough remaining for the R5 at the reduced cost. Was looking at the M15 possibly, however its output impedances mean it won't play nicely with my Sonorous VI and for the time being I don't feel particularly inclined to chase the dragon in the closed headphone realm so I'll just continue to enjoy the VI (imagine being satisfied with what you have, I had better turn in my audiophile card now).

The Sonorous VI is a fantastic headphone!

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,472 of 4,421
I don’t stream music but I’d like to say that I do not consider the discernible difference between 320 mp3 and lossless to be subtle. This would be a perfect example of the kind of fly-in-the-bottle debates that have no objective answer. However, on an audiophile forum I would think the consensus is assured.

I believe there is a misconception created by the marketing of hi res files that there is a significant difference between them and 320kbps files. Blame Neil Young. :smile: With that said, on a high resolution speaker system, hi res files are worth the investment, in my view. Their enhanced level of micro detail contributes to a holographic soundstage, a more involving listening experience, plus the remastering of a hi res release will impact perceived sound quality as well. With headphones/earphones, not so much unless one has top tier gear throughout the signal chain. And the listening experience required to hear and appreciate subtle improvements. I’m not being elitist here.

I’m an audio guy, not a video guy. If I go to a store to buy a new 4K TV, they all look similar to me, so I will buy one representing the best value. Not so with audio gear. Small differences are quite meaningful to me, and I have bought lots of high end audio gear chasing the last 10% of resolution. Audiophiles are dopamine junkies.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,473 of 4,421
I believe there is a misconception created by the marketing of hi res files that there is a significant difference between them and 320kbps files. Blame Neil Young. :smile: With that said, on a high resolution speaker system, hi res files are worth the investment, in my view. Their enhanced level of micro detail contributes to a holographic soundstage, a more involving listening experience, plus the remastering of a hi res release will impact perceived sound quality as well. With headphones/earphones, not so much unless one has top tier gear throughout the signal chain. And the listening experience required to hear and appreciate subtle improvements. I’m not being elitist here.

I’m an audio guy, not a video guy. If I go to a store to buy a new 4K TV, they all look similar to me, so I will buy one representing the best value. Not so with audio gear. Small differences are quite meaningful to me, and I have bought lots of high end audio gear chasing the last 10% of resolution. Audiophiles are dopamine junkies.
Yes we are and I believe most of us seek the optimum sound quality and that includes flac files vs mp3. This DAP has very high quality internal components to ensure accurate reproduction of any file type played so why play lossy files on this type of device? If one wants to listen to mp3 files a smartphone does that just fine.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,474 of 4,421
To anyone interested the next UAPP update should see the R5 added as a supported device.

If one uses UAPP, is the system wide HiBy EQ defeated? I’m an Android noob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back