R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jun 7, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2,356 of 4,410
try another USB cable
Hi,

I had a somewhat similar issue when trying to play MQA
Just got my R5 in the mail today and so far I’m really impressed with its features and sound quality. A few questions that I couldn’t find answers to:

* I took advantage of the $4 Tidal deal and would like to use the R5 to stream it to my stereo system. I tried connecting it to my DAC via USB, but it didn’t work. Is it not possible to send Tidal to a USB DAC or am I missing the right setting? (I set the USB configuration to “USB DAC in”.) What about MQA —can the R5 send out decoded files via USB? Or should I just connect a line out to my preamp and stay analog?

* I can’t get the Hiby App on my iPad to recognize the R5 even if I pair the devices first. It just says “unknown remote device.” What step am I missing? I tried setting the Hiby App on the R5 to both client and server and neither one did the trick.

* Any recommendations for a good, well made 4.4 to 3.5 adapter?
Did you get this issue sorted? I have just purchased an R5 and a SMSL DAC/amp that plays MQA via USB only but does not work when I connect via USB....

Did you use an OTG usb cable? I am hoping this will solve the issue for me

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #2,357 of 4,410
Hi,

Did you get this issue sorted? I have just purchased an R5 and a SMSL DAC/amp that plays MQA via USB only but does not work when I connect via USB....

You defintely need an OTG cable to make it work, if by work you mean having sound.

If by work you mean unfolding MQA, you would need one of the these two solutions:
1. Buy and install USB Audio Player Pro, which has bitperfect output and hence MQA support at the application level.
2. Buy and use the USB-C to coaxial output adapter, which supports bitperfect output at the system level
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable

If your DAC device is desktop rather than portable, it probably has RCA rather than 3.5mm jack as coaxial input, in which case you would need something like this to adapt:
https://www.amazon.com/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE/
(you would only need to plug the white end into your desktop DAC, you can snip off the red end if you want. I tried to find an adapter that is single 3.5mm plug to single RCA plug, but that is hard to come by.)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,358 of 4,410
Hi,

Tidal app will not output MQA properly on Android via USB connection. Infact most Android apps don't work properly at all and will use the Androids system audio to resample and thus not bitperfect. This is not Hibys fault but the nature of how Android works with USB and how the apps work. To get MQA or any bitperfect same as source output you need to use USB Audio Pro, it the only one that supports USB DACs and Tidal, Qobuz.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,359 of 4,410
1.83G
It's not a click as such, but it skips, let's say, a quarter of a second. Noticable especially in songs you know really well.
I tried 3 different cables now, also usbc to usbc.

I have this problem too, so I'm glad (in a way) that I'm not alone. It occurs about once a minute - it's like the DAC drops a little bit of data, and instead of playing silence in place of the missing audio data, it plays whatever the next data is immediately instead. Like if the data is received 1-2-3-4 and the audio is played back 1-2-3-4, in the instance of the missing packet (or whatever it is) the data is received 1-2-<missing>-4 and instead of me hearing 1-2-<silence>-4 I hear 1-2-4.

It basically makes listening to music in USB DAC mode a paranoia-inducing exercise, because you're constantly waiting for the next instance where a drum beat will come in slightly too soon and break the rhythm.

I use Foobar with my R5 for my USB DAC playback, and I've tried every combination of buffer settings in both Foobar and the TUSB DAC driver (which is unsigned and dated 2012, can Hiby not afford to get a newer version of this driver?) and nothing seems to remedy the problem. I've tried this with FLACs of almost every sample rate and bit depth (16 and 24 bit, 192, 96, 88.2, 48 and 44.1khz sampling rates) and the problem occurs with all of them, but seems to be more noticeable the lower the bitrate. The problem also doesn't seem to be tied to anything happening in the tracks themselves, because if I rewind the track and play the "problem area" again, the 'skip' doesn't occur in the same place. The problem also occurs when I'm just using the R5 in USB DAC mode as my default Windows output device, ie for playing music from YouTube for example.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,360 of 4,410
I have this problem too, so I'm glad (in a way) that I'm not alone. It occurs about once a minute - it's like the DAC drops a little bit of data, and instead of playing silence in place of the missing audio data, it plays whatever the next data is immediately instead. Like if the data is received 1-2-3-4 and the audio is played back 1-2-3-4, in the instance of the missing packet (or whatever it is) the data is received 1-2-<missing>-4 and instead of me hearing 1-2-<silence>-4 I hear 1-2-4.

It basically makes listening to music in USB DAC mode a paranoia-inducing exercise, because you're constantly waiting for the next instance where a drum beat will come in slightly too soon and break the rhythm.

I use Foobar with my R5 for my USB DAC playback, and I've tried every combination of buffer settings in both Foobar and the TUSB DAC driver (which is unsigned and dated 2012, can Hiby not afford to get a newer version of this driver?) and nothing seems to remedy the problem. I've tried this with FLACs of almost every sample rate and bit depth (16 and 24 bit, 192, 96, 88.2, 48 and 44.1khz sampling rates) and the problem occurs with all of them, but seems to be more noticeable the lower the bitrate. The problem also doesn't seem to be tied to anything happening in the tracks themselves, because if I rewind the track and play the "problem area" again, the 'skip' doesn't occur in the same place. The problem also occurs when I'm just using the R5 in USB DAC mode as my default Windows output device, ie for playing music from YouTube for example.
Have you tried uninstalling that driver and simply using the drivers provided by Windows 10? Bitperfect, DSD etc are already possible there using WASAPI.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,361 of 4,410
Have you tried uninstalling that driver and simply using the drivers provided by Windows 10? Bitperfect, DSD etc are already possible there using WASAPI.
I use Windows driver only and it occurs frequently. To the point I don't want to be using USB dac mode at all. Please elevate the issue, it is happening to some users, others don't have it, don't use USB dac mode, or simply don't notice it.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #2,362 of 4,410
Windows 10 doesn't register it at all without installing the TUSB driver for me, and then Wasapi will only go to 192/24 according to Roon. I don't have issues though with playback.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #2,363 of 4,410
Windows 10 doesn't register it at all without installing the TUSB driver for me, and then Wasapi will only go to 192/24 according to Roon. I don't have issues though with playback.

Same with me, that's the only reason I installed the TUSB driver, Windows 10 didn't see it otherwise.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,364 of 4,410
Same with me, that's the only reason I installed the TUSB driver, Windows 10 didn't see it otherwise.
This is after selecting the r5 to be a USB DAC in the connection type dropdown menu on the r5 notification shade?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #2,367 of 4,410
Had my R5 for a few months now, ordered direct from Hiby to the UK, only had to pay £13 for customs charges.

Moved from a Sony NW-A45 to the R5 and wow, the difference is night and day, the R5 sounds fuller, louder and has a better sound stage. Currently using Sony WH-1000XM3 BT headphones and connection is solid, only a few drop outs, admittedly the Sony NW-A45 was flawless.

Use UAPP as my main playback player as it has better sorting options

Will be getting some IEM's soon. Thinking of starting with the Blon03 headphones.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,369 of 4,410
Tidal app will not output MQA properly on Android via USB connection. Infact most Android apps don't work properly at all and will use the Androids system audio to resample and thus not bitperfect. This is not Hibys fault but the nature of how Android works with USB and how the apps work. To get MQA or any bitperfect same as source output you need to use USB Audio Pro, it the only one that supports USB DACs and Tidal, Qobuz.
Urgh that's a shame, I have used UAPP with my smartphone but somehow hoped that the problem would not carry over to the R5. I purchased the SMSL m500 which has an MQA encoder via USB so i thought some magic must occur when I connect the two together.
I can use the R5 DAC and output to the amp via non usb connection methods but that would be waiting the functionality of the SMSL I have paid for. I am returning my SMSl and contemplating forgetting about MQA.

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,370 of 4,410
You defintely need an OTG cable to make it work, if by work you mean having sound.

If by work you mean unfolding MQA, you would need one of the these two solutions:
1. Buy and install USB Audio Player Pro, which has bitperfect output and hence MQA support at the application level.
2. Buy and use the USB-C to coaxial output adapter, which supports bitperfect output at the system level
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable

If your DAC device is desktop rather than portable, it probably has RCA rather than 3.5mm jack as coaxial input, in which case you would need something like this to adapt:
https://www.amazon.com/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE/
(you would only need to plug the white end into your desktop DAC, you can snip off the red end if you want. I tried to find an adapter that is single 3.5mm plug to single RCA plug, but that is hard to come by.)
Thanks for this, I was hoping to use the SMSL m500's DAC MQA encoder rather than my R5 but I do not want to rely on UAPP as I wanted to be able to play my offline tidal downloads without any buffering issues. If I am forced to use the R5 DAC and output to the SMSl then I am wasting money paying for that extra functionality so I am returning the m500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back