R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 11, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #1,981 of 4,418
The HiByMusic *app* is capable of streaming audio bit perfect to USB DACs.

The OS in general isn't, i.e. load any old app other than HiByMusic or USB Audio Player pro,
+Play through the onboard headphone amplifier--bit perfect
+Play through an outboard USB DAC--fixed 192kHz output

As you say, UAPP can be a good way to get around the latter, with its support for e.g. Tidal and Qobuz (but not Spotify).
Now I am little confused. I mainly use Tidal and most of the time in offline mode, so when I plug my IEMs to 3.5mm or 4.4mm jack outputs I get audio bit perfect, is this right?

But if I use my Chord Mojo paired with R5 and Tidal Offline I need UAPP to get audio bit perfect, is this right?

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #1,982 of 4,418
Now I am little confused. I mainly use Tidal and most of the time in offline mode, so when I plug my IEMs to 3.5mm or 4.4mm jack outputs I get audio bit perfect, is this right?

But if I use my Chord Mojo paired with R5 and Tidal Offline I need UAPP to get audio bit perfect, is this right?
yes, both correct

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,983 of 4,418
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,984 of 4,418
No worries, you were close enough :) Community knowledge is a great thing
if i use the r5 on type c to PC, but the output is set to headphone out, can i use it directly with IEM? any danger to doing so?

i am using it like this way, just thinking if there is any repurcussions

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,985 of 4,418
if i use the r5 on type c to PC, but the output is set to headphone out, can i use it directly with IEM? any danger to doing so?

i am using it like this way, just thinking if there is any repurcussions

So the R5 is acting as a sound output for the PC, but electrically it is acting the same as when it is a standalone player

Yes, you can certainly use it with your IEMs

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,986 of 4,418
yes, both correct

Morning (well) spent doing AB testing.
Mojo gives better SQ than 3.5mm R5 output in both Tidal and UAPP.

But no differences found using Tidal or UAPP in R5 through Mojo, is there any specific configuration of multiple UAPP parameters to improve over Tidal?
UAPP requires Tidal online or tracks have to be downloaded in the SD card.

Cheers

Apr 11, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,987 of 4,418
Morning (well) spent doing AB testing.
Mojo gives better SQ than 3.5mm R5 output in both Tidal and UAPP.

But no differences found using Tidal or UAPP in R5 through Mojo, is there any specific configuration of multiple UAPP parameters to improve over Tidal?
UAPP requires Tidal online or tracks have to be downloaded in the SD card.

Cheers
that i am not quite sure, cause afaik 4.4mm sound is quite different than of 3.5mm, maybe try compare mojo to it's 4.4

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,988 of 4,418
IMG_20200411_185527.jpg

I was wondering when exactly (depth and frequency) does the LED turns green for hi-res files, because 24bits at 44,1kHz it's still blue...

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,990 of 4,418
This is a game changer! I can't believe this feature has been there all these years. All those times I could have skipped by just having Spotify or Pocket Casts pinned.

Thank you!
I tried it and liked it but noticed one has to "unpin" that app (in my case UAPP) to do anything else- for instance to change the gain level, change from line out to phone out, etc.

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,991 of 4,418
I tried it and liked it but noticed one has to "unpin" that app (in my case UAPP) to do anything else- for instance to change the gain level, change from line out to phone out, etc.
Yup, it's not quite as convenient as a physical hold switch.
Unless you're simply using Tidal (or whatever) to listen to music without 'fettling' Android settings.
Then, pinning does allow full use of the pinned app, plus volume control (and the other physical controls) so we don't even need to unlock a hold switch to gain access to the app controls.
I definitely do find myself using it a lot.
(this reply is really for the benefit of any who haven't tried pinning before and may want further explanation of any features).

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,992 of 4,418
Yup, it's not quite as convenient as a physical hold switch.
Unless you're simply using Tidal (or whatever) to listen to music without 'fettling' Android settings.
Then, pinning does allow full use of the pinned app, plus volume control (and the other physical controls) so we don't even need to unlock a hold switch to gain access to the app controls.
I definitely do find myself using it a lot.
(this reply is really for the benefit of any who haven't tried pinning before and may want further explanation of any features).
I appreciate telling everyone about this very useful feature!

Apr 12, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,993 of 4,418
I gotta give it up, this device is awesome. To be honest I expected to return it after all the battery life and random restart issues with my R6 Pro, but the R5 is incredibly solid. Only my R3 Pro gets better battery life. I especially love that MSEB is global, so I can download whatever audio player app I want (UAPP in my case). This means I can let HiBy be amazing on the hardware side of things, and let the app developer experts be amazing on the UX side.

My only asks would be
  • More precise touchscreen hardware -- it's kinda tricky to touch and drag the letter index on the right side of library view
  • Smoother gradient of volume; to me it sounds like every now and then there's a huge jump, like between 52 and 53

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,995 of 4,418
I gotta give it up, this device is awesome. To be honest I expected to return it after all the battery life and random restart issues with my R6 Pro, but the R5 is incredibly solid. Only my R3 Pro gets better battery life. I especially love that MSEB is global, so I can download whatever audio player app I want (UAPP in my case). This means I can let HiBy be amazing on the hardware side of things, and let the app developer experts be amazing on the UX side.

My only asks would be
  • More precise touchscreen hardware -- it's kinda tricky to touch and drag the letter index on the right side of library view
  • Smoother gradient of volume; to me it sounds like every now and then there's a huge jump, like between 52 and 53
One can choose whether the volume is exponential or logarithmic in the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back