R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,876 of 4,410
I just got the R5 today. Everything is good except Amazon Music. It only could play some songs then the play button kept turning around, no sound. Anyone know whats wrong with it ? I updated the latest fw.

20200321_205728.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,877 of 4,410
I just got the R5 today. Everything is good except Amazon Music. It only could play some songs then the play button kept turning around, no sound. Anyone know whats wrong with it ? I updated the latest fw.

20200321_205728.jpg
Make sure you try to update more than once. You may not be on the final fw. I had to update 3x when I got my replacement unit the other day.

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,880 of 4,410
My new R5 couldn't play Amazon Music at all. I reinstalled the app last night and just tried it again today. The songs could play without headphone. But when I connected it to my Hugo2, it stopped playing and the play button spun around non stop. I unplugged the Hugo2 and tried with my A18t but still the same. Now it can't play without headphone either. And my fw is the latest one.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #1,881 of 4,410
Amazon HD definitely can work with this machine. Unfortunately, it is possible to completely hose the music files. The best solution is either to delete the app or clear out the music data files. I had to do that. In the porcess, I had to up my data download limit with my internet provider because I downloaded so darned much data in a short time period.

A big hassle is watching that darned ring spin the first time you use the app. My suggestion is clear it out; download just a few songs; and test it. If all works, add a few more songs, test it. If all good; then download the rest. Try to not close the app once you get it going; every time you restart the app you go through the wheel issue. Just one of those things.

It also matters is you choose online vs. offline. Experiment with both. The spinning wheel never goes away as an issue; today it took minutes before playing started. The good news is that there are many good things about the app also.

For the person wanting the comparisons; the Chord Mojo doesn't even fit into the list. It is a great mildly warm DAC/AMP but not a fully integrated player. The Mojo oozes power; but not in balanced mode. And it gets warm and is big. The R3 has power coming out of its ears also. But it has a really neutral sound and almost everything on the market is mildly warm so it will sound really different to most reviewers. We have all become conditioned to mildly warm so neutral is something of a shocker.

And as you can tell from my response to the other question; yes Amazon Music's Android app is a pain at times. It is a pain on the Fire HD also. But not nearly as bad on the iphone or PC. Go figure.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,882 of 4,410
Anyone have issues with hiby music app (latest firmware) not scanning all files?
To be honest I'm less fussed now uapp is fully supporting native high Res but for me hiby music gives up about 2000 files short

Mar 23, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #1,883 of 4,410
Anyone have issues with hiby music app (latest firmware) not scanning all files?
To be honest I'm less fussed now uapp is fully supporting native high Res but for me hiby music gives up about 2000 files short
Working fine here. How large is the library you're trying to scan? Only time I run into problems with r5 was when I tried to scan fake sd card with incorrect capacity.

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,884 of 4,410
Working fine here. How large is the library you're trying to scan? Only time I run into problems with r5 was when I tried to scan fake sd card with incorrect capacity.
Definitely a legit and premium speed SD card. Library is about 300gb comprising about 8000 files

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,886 of 4,410
Amazon HD definitely can work with this machine. Unfortunately, it is possible to completely hose the music files. The best solution is either to delete the app or clear out the music data files. I had to do that. In the porcess, I had to up my data download limit with my internet provider because I downloaded so darned much data in a short time period.

A big hassle is watching that darned ring spin the first time you use the app. My suggestion is clear it out; download just a few songs; and test it. If all works, add a few more songs, test it. If all good; then download the rest. Try to not close the app once you get it going; every time you restart the app you go through the wheel issue. Just one of those things.

It also matters is you choose online vs. offline. Experiment with both. The spinning wheel never goes away as an issue; today it took minutes before playing started. The good news is that there are many good things about the app also.

For the person wanting the comparisons; the Chord Mojo doesn't even fit into the list. It is a great mildly warm DAC/AMP but not a fully integrated player. The Mojo oozes power; but not in balanced mode. And it gets warm and is big. The R3 has power coming out of its ears also. But it has a really neutral sound and almost everything on the market is mildly warm so it will sound really different to most reviewers. We have all become conditioned to mildly warm so neutral is something of a shocker.

And as you can tell from my response to the other question; yes Amazon Music's Android app is a pain at times. It is a pain on the Fire HD also. But not nearly as bad on the iphone or PC. Go figure.
Thanks then i know it's not for me. I hate this hassle with DAPs and Apps. I want that the music plays when i press play. When i need 10 min to get things startet i don't wanna listen to music anymore. Stick with my LG G8 then.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,887 of 4,410
Can anyone comment on the battery life here? I bought an R6 pro but went back to my R3 because it seemed like every update the battery life got worse. Despite that, hiby's R5/R6 is the most promising line of DAPS imo with both android and MSEB so I'm eager to get back in once they've ironed out the kinks.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,888 of 4,410
Can anyone comment on the battery life here? I bought an R6 pro but went back to my R3 because it seemed like every update the battery life got worse. Despite that, hiby's R5/R6 is the most promising line of DAPS imo with both android and MSEB so I'm eager to get back in once they've ironed out the kinks.

i haven't timed it but overall the battery life is good and i would say very good if you turn wifi and BT off.

Mar 24, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,889 of 4,410
£80.00 off with voucher on amazon uk now. Half tempted to get one to replace my r6 so I can use non fibae iems if I want to. Thing is I'm at home for 3 months and don't really use headphones at home...

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,890 of 4,410
Quick review
Can anyone comment on the battery life here?

Accubattery estimates 13 hours and 41 minutes with the screen on, 30 hours 55 minutes with the screen off. This sounds pretty accurate based off what I'm seeing with mine but I never charge it over 80% or let it run down below 20% so it could be off by a little bit. I would say it has pretty great battery life, it's better than my phone which has a larger battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back