R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,891 of 4,410
DAP battery life is impacted by what you play. If I recall, hi res and DSD files tax the processor more and therefore use more battery life for a given amount of listening time.

I mainly listen to FLAC files; and the longest sessions I have are 8 hours when I fall asleep to music at night. It handles that just fine. I bet there is plenty more to spare but that is the max I have asked of the unit.

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,892 of 4,410
Thanks then i know it's not for me. I hate this hassle with DAPs and Apps. I want that the music plays when i press play. When i need 10 min to get things startet i don't wanna listen to music anymore. Stick with my LG G8 then.
Well the LG runs Android if I recall; so it is unlikely Amazon Music HD will run any better on that device.
The spinning wheel is quite dependent on how much is on the device and sometimes what tracks you pick first. There are some tracks that load faster; seems like voodoo or black magic but that has been my experience.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,893 of 4,410
Well the LG runs Android if I recall; so it is unlikely Amazon Music HD will run any better on that device.
The spinning wheel is quite dependent on how much is on the device and sometimes what tracks you pick first. There are some tracks that load faster; seems like voodoo or black magic but that has been my experience.
Yeah but on the LG i press play and the music plays. Everywhere. No need to restart, no songs that don't play. I know this from my past DAP experiences. Only DAP that didn't had the issue was the M11 so far. So i thought if the R5 had the same performance i'd buy it. But i'll wait for next DAP generations then with better performances.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,894 of 4,410

Imo LG G8 (or any other flagship level android phone) can potentially run Amazon music and other streaming apps somewhat better than mid level dap. Not only due to much faster chip, but also up to date firmware and higher quality wireless radios.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,895 of 4,410
DAP battery life is impacted by what you play. If I recall, hi res and DSD files tax the processor more and therefore use more battery life for a given amount of listening time.

I mainly listen to FLAC files; and the longest sessions I have are 8 hours when I fall asleep to music at night. It handles that just fine. I bet there is plenty more to spare but that is the max I have asked of the unit.

This is definitely correct. Additionally, if you use the balanced output it will drain the battery faster.

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,896 of 4,410
Thanks then i know it's not for me. I hate this hassle with DAPs and Apps. I want that the music plays when i press play. When i need 10 min to get things startet i don't wanna listen to music anymore. Stick with my LG G8 then.
I've had no trouble playing songs on the R5/ Amazon app. Behaves just like every other streaming app I use.

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,897 of 4,410
Hi, I just got an r5. I received one weeks ago, but when i shook it, it sounded like something big inside was loose. I returned it and received a replacement. It is not as bad but when i shake it something still sounds loose. Is this normal?

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,899 of 4,410
Yeah but on the LG i press play and the music plays. Everywhere. No need to restart, no songs that don't play. I know this from my past DAP experiences. Only DAP that didn't had the issue was the M11 so far. So i thought if the R5 had the same performance i'd buy it. But i'll wait for next DAP generations then with better performances.
The Amazon app can be a little touchy, even on my new iPhone. But it's only once in a while. I've had only a few issues with it on the R5, and no problems with other apps. And it's only a force quit, not a restart. I don't blame the R5 for that, I think it's 100% on Amazon. The R5 is really a great unit for the price (and then some).

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,900 of 4,410
Hi, I just got an r5. I received one weeks ago, but when i shook it, it sounded like something big inside was loose. I returned it and received a replacement. It is not as bad but when i shake it something still sounds loose. Is this normal?
I think the sound is the buttons. Tolerances dont seem very tight for the buttons.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,903 of 4,410
FWIW, My R5 exhibits a VERY slight 'rattle' (def' buttons)when I shake it right with the Dignis case removed.
It's completely inaudible/doesn't occur when the case is on.
Nothing big loose inside that I can hear.

I'm still having random stoppages though.
Yesterday morning it was happening EVERY TRACK (lasted about ten tracks before I lost my patience and shut it down).
Since then I have updated to the most recent firmware, and updated Spotify (to my surprise, neither of these updates required me to re-download my Spotify offline content, which was a relief), but sadly there have still been about 2-3 stoppages in about 20 tracks that I've listened to since updating.
I plan to sign up to Tidal again since they're offering 4 months for £4, and see if the problem occurs with them as well.
I hope Tidal is OK, as if the problem exists in the hardware then shipping a return or warranty back and forth will be a complete nightmare, and possibly even impossible with the current Covid restrictions.
It's such a weird problem though, as it only occurs once per track, and if I skip back to re-play the same track again then it has always been fine the second time round (although I've only tried this a handful of times)

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,905 of 4,410
FWIW, My R5 exhibits a VERY slight 'rattle' (def' buttons)when I shake it right with the Dignis case removed.
It's completely inaudible/doesn't occur when the case is on.
Nothing big loose inside that I can hear.

I'm still having random stoppages though.
Yesterday morning it was happening EVERY TRACK (lasted about ten tracks before I lost my patience and shut it down).
Since then I have updated to the most recent firmware, and updated Spotify (to my surprise, neither of these updates required me to re-download my Spotify offline content, which was a relief), but sadly there have still been about 2-3 stoppages in about 20 tracks that I've listened to since updating.
I plan to sign up to Tidal again since they're offering 4 months for £4, and see if the problem occurs with them as well.
I hope Tidal is OK, as if the problem exists in the hardware then shipping a return or warranty back and forth will be a complete nightmare, and possibly even impossible with the current Covid restrictions.
It's such a weird problem though, as it only occurs once per track, and if I skip back to re-play the same track again then it has always been fine the second time round (although I've only tried this a handful of times)

Thanks for the info. Definitely not a slight rattle in my case, I don't trust this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back