R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,696 of 4,412
yes latest firmware. when i select bitperfect i get a message that there is no usb dac and that i need to use android dac.

That's weird, no such message when I select it. Will have a look later after work.

Is UAPP capable of native dsd playback with r5? Tried to fiddle with various settings in order to get uapp to play ISOs/ .dsf files properly. However, playback is choppier (than with hiby music) and notification led never turns white:stuck_out_tongue:
Otherwise I prefer uapp over the stock player. Nicer and faster ui and not as picky with album art/meta tags.

No idea on DSD sorry, not a DSD user.

Can anyone advise on the best choice for formatting a 256GB sdxc card for the R5?

Depends. If only using it with R5 and NTFS works I'd use that, otherwise exFAT. If you may need or want to use it in multiple devices and want best assurance of compatibility then Fat32.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,699 of 4,412
Simply stating the facts.

Just to be clear my R5 has no compressed music on it at all. But you would be surprised how many Head-Fi participants use MP3 or AAC.
Absolutely mate. You are correct, people cannot tell the difference between a high quality 320mp3 file and the lossless master that it is made from. There have been many blind listening tests that confirm this over, and over, and over again. I hosted a head-fi meet about 4 years ago now and I ran a multiple trial, multiple participant blind listening test to see if people could detect the 320mp3 versus the flac master copy of a really nicely mastered song, One Trick Pony by Holy Cole from the album Romantically Helpless. I had I believe 7 participants all doing multiple trials and not one of those young, healthy hearing head-fi members could do better than around 50% detection, so they were guessing blindly in other words. Two of the participants bragged before the trials that they were guaranteed to hear the difference as they had "tested" themselves at home before. People fail to realize that if you know which file is which any results are completely meaningless, sighted listening tests are just silliness. Anyway, this is more properly for the Sound Science forum so I will stop now. I just thought you were brave for daring to go against the norm and I thought my story might give you some support.

And to your point, I personally use a great deal of Bluetooth audio often with AAC for my KEF Space one wireless and it sounds fantastic. When I use LDAC or AptX with other wireless headphones I must admit that if there are differences, I can't really tell. Mind you I tend to listen to the music as opposed to straining to hear tiny differences that may or may not even exist.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,700 of 4,412
Has anybody connected the R5 to a current generation BMW? My wife's car has Apple CarPlay which works fine. But I am having trouble connecting the HiBy. One post on YouTube implied that Bluetooth Audio should be turned off to connect an Android unit. Is that correct? Any other suggestions.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,701 of 4,412
The R5 is the perf midrange DAP. Soon as I can I’m buying another one. Was so dumb to sell it months ago

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #1,702 of 4,412
Has anybody connected the R5 to a current generation BMW? My wife's car has Apple CarPlay which works fine. But I am having trouble connecting the HiBy. One post on YouTube implied that Bluetooth Audio should be turned off to connect an Android unit. Is that correct? Any other suggestions.
Does it also have Android Auto ? If it does , download Android Auto app on Hiby and you can play music fine . A little buggy but so is Apple car play

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,709 of 4,412
Is UAPP capable of native dsd playback with r5? Tried to fiddle with various settings in order to get uapp to play ISOs/ .dsf files properly. However, playback is choppier (than with hiby music) and notification led never turns white:stuck_out_tongue:
Otherwise I prefer uapp over the stock player. Nicer and faster ui and not as picky with album art/meta tags.
I can only get DSD files to play on uapp if I select DoP or DSD to PCM. if I select native I only get white noise.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,710 of 4,412
better in what way? audio quality? if it is in the car its not like you'll hear a difference. if your car has an aux input you could also try that.
I would prefer to go a step up from Bluetooth if possible. Auxiliary input would be great but the BMW does not have it. Most cars don't have aux inputs anymore. Sad but true. I think Apple Carplay sounds pretty good but alas the Android audio is not supported yet by BMW. You can hook an iphone directly via USB or via wifi with carplay but so far I can't get anything similar with the R5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back