R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,682 of 4,418
I've been using MediaMonkey to manage my music library for years and it's a very powerful piece of software. It works perfectly with Android devices and the Hiby R5 is no exception.
Regarding the music player, Hiby Music has come a long way but it still has some serious issues. Personally I prefer USB Audio Player Pro or Neutron. Even if it's not possible to use UAPP's native driver it's still leagues better in terms of functionality.

i tried MM. created a playlist and had that syncd to the R5. now all the music apps on the hiby crash. i tried hiby, poweramp and uapp. they try to scan the memory card and then crash.

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,683 of 4,418
i tried MM. created a playlist and had that syncd to the R5. now all the music apps on the hiby crash. i tried hiby, poweramp and uapp. they try to scan the memory card and then crash.
There are more than one "sync mode" in MediaMonkey including one that deletes every other media on the device that is not managed by MediaMonkey. This can obviously mess up media that is managed by other applications, specially streaming apps. You can also highly customize your playlists file paths and tags. So I can imagine that if you mess up the file paths it can confuse some of the player apps scan process. Otherwise you shouldn't be having errors scanning your card for media at all.
Like I said Media Monkey is a very powerful piece of software and as such there's a learning curve. You need to know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #1,684 of 4,418
There are more than one "sync mode" in MediaMonkey including one that deletes every other media on the device that is not managed by MediaMonkey. This can obviously mess up media that is managed by other applications, specially streaming apps. You can also highly customize your playlists file paths and tags. So I can imagine that if you mess up the file paths it can confuse some of the player apps scan process. Otherwise you shouldn't be having errors scanning your card for media at all.
Like I said Media Monkey is a very powerful piece of software and as such there's a learning curve. You need to know what you're doing.

ok thanks. any tips on how to do it properly then?

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,685 of 4,418
ok thanks. any tips on how to do it properly then?
You can find tutorials on YouTube on how to organize your library for MediaMonkey 4 .

Regarding device sync, it can also become quite complex. Ideally you should start with a clean card but otherwise start with the following steps.

1. Make sure you're on the latest firmware.
2. On Android, close all running player apps and clear all data and cache on the apps you have installed.
3. Open MediaMonkey and connect your device via USB

Once connected, on your device, when you swipe from the top down you should see an "Android System" area. If you tap it, you can chose your USB mode. Choose "Transfer Files".

As soon as you do that, your device should be picked up by Windows.
Untitled-2.jpg

At the same time MediaMonkey will start scanning both memory storages. Each will appear in MediaMonkey as a separate device that you can sync with.

In your case, I would start with syncing in just one way (PC -> device) and just the content you want to manage from MM. Also, no auto-syncing. Sync only after pressing a button.

4. Select your SD Card storage on the left pane of MM. You can rename it as you see fit.

Set your options on each of the tabs. You can change these later once you get more familiar with the software,

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

This will be your most used tab. It's here that you select/deselect what music you want to sync. I suggest selecting a simple small playlist for testing.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Now this configuration in the "Options" tab is specially relevant to you. Make sure you're using relative file paths and a simple playlist format.
Once you're ready, you can press the "Apply" and then "Auto-sync" buttons. Media Monkey will try to sync the playlists you selected.

Once it's done its thing you can check the root of your SD Card and see that there are a bunch of new folders.

Untitled-1.jpg

The most important ones are of of course Music and Playlists. It's these directories that you should select when scanning for content on your player apps on Android.
Now just safely disconnect your device by changing USB mode "Charge this device" on the R5 and then start scanning for music on your favorite player app. I would start with UAPP for testing.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,686 of 4,418
You can find tutorials on YouTube on how to organize your library for MediaMonkey 4 .

Regarding device sync, it can also become quite complex. Ideally you should start with a clean card but otherwise start with the following steps.

2. On Android, close all running player apps and clear all data and cache on the apps you have installed.

Once connected, on your device, when you swipe from the top down you should see an "Android System" area. If you tap it, you can chose your USB mode. Choose "Transfer Files".

Untitled-2.jpg

At the same time MediaMonkey will start scanning both memory storages. Each will appear in MediaMonkey as a separate device that you can sync with.

In your case, I would start with syncing in just one way (PC -> device) and just the content you want to manage from MM. Also, no auto-syncing. Sync only after pressing a button.

4. Select your SD Card storage on the left pane of MM. You can rename it as you see fit.

Set your options on each of the tabs. You can change these later once you get more familiar with the software,

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg
This will be your most used tab. It's here that you select/deselect what music you want to sync. I suggest selecting a simple small playlist for testing.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg
Now this configuration in the "Options" tab is specially relevant to you. Make sure you're using relative file paths and a simple playlist format.
Once you're ready, you can press the "Apply" and then "Auto-sync" buttons. Media Monkey will try to sync the playlists you selected.

Once it's done its thing you can check the root of your SD Card and see that there are a bunch of new folders.

Untitled-1.jpg

The most important ones are of of course Music and Playlists. It's these directories that you should select when scanning for content on your player apps on Android.
Now just safely disconnect your device by changing USB mode "Charge this device" on the R5 and then start scanning for music on your favorite player app. I would start with UAPP for testing.
I know you posted this for bassboysam, but I just want to say thanks, as when my R5 comes I'm certain I will find this hugely helpful too :thumbsup:

I'm currently checking a new sd card with H2testw, and am wondering which format is best to use to prepare it for use in the R5?

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,687 of 4,418

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

wow, thanks for all the details! i'll give it a try.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,688 of 4,418
Hey, I had a different angle to try. What is the highest resolution method to cast from the R3 to an iphone? Since the stereo has carplay over USB, maybe I can stream from the R3 to the iphone to get better quality than direct bluetooth to the car. Any ideas or suggestions?

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,689 of 4,418
Finally got mine yesterday.

Would not recommend purchasing direct from Hiby.

Ordered at the $299 price before February 3rd, then delayed till Feb 10th (not a problem, absolutely can understand given the circumstances). Expected delivery to ensue pretty quickly once the 10th rolled around but heard nothing for three days. Then got an email asking for correct address, which I had already supplied, sent screenshot of our local post address search showing my address and confirming area code is correct. Get email saying its working now, here is your tracking, will be sent tomorrow. Two more days nothing, then get the proper webstore email confirming shipping and a new tracking number. So in other words the first a fake, just generated a shipping label which tracks up to 'awaiting pickup' to make it look like its shipped. Don't appreciate the apparent dishonesty, but not the first time I've seen this practice.

Anyways, so far pretty happy with the device itself.

Only 2x firmware updates needed sequential application on arrival, so I guess newer batch than some where people were reporting 5 updates required on arrival.

Build quality seems very good. I like the size.

Screen is entirely forgettable. I believe the screen on these are considered decent for DAPs, which makes me shudder to think how bad others must be - easily the worst screen I've had to look at for many years. Lowish res, blue tint at edges on even slight angulation. Decent colours and blacks for what it is. Regardless, fine for what it need do here.

Responsiveness, as I understand it, is better than a number of other DAPs, which again makes me shudder to think how bad some others must be. Again, good enough for what it is and at its asking price, but I would not settle for less regardless of sound quality.

Hiby music very, very (very) slow to scan my library (~6000 FLAC files). Like 20 minutes or more. Unable to read the higher res embedded album arts, but I expected this from earlier reports in the thread. Installed UAPP (yay for proper Google Play access, big win for users that this is present) and it displays them absolutely fine. Definitely Hiby music needs to address this. No excuse really. I am not re-tagging my files to lower res for the sake of my DAP, they're higher res to begin with to make sure they look good across all the devices I listen to music on. UAPP also light years quicker scanning the library (maybe 3mins).

On to listening via Hiby Music with Final Audio Pandora Hope VI, balanced, and T5p.2, also balanced. Now we're talking. This sounds very good straight out of the box. So far I think the VI is the better pairing.

Noticed listening to Tool's The Pot that Justin Chancellor's bass in the verse lacking a bit of attack and impact. Switched to UAPP on bit perfect and it sounds noticeably better (in other words more accurate) in both regards. Possible playing with filters and such like on Hiby Music may address this. UAPP UI also seems more responsive. Don't think I'll be using Hiby Music on this device. Again, Google Play access is a boon and allows me to do this with no issues.

Yet to play around with BT but will do shortly.

Overall, for the asking price, I'm liking it. Forgettable customer service experience, screen and responsiveness could do with improving but they're adequate, default music player has a few issues and performs and sounds worse to me than a third party alternative, build quality seems good, Google Play access is a godsend, good feature set, and while early days here, so far the sound here has me smiling.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,694 of 4,418
Is UAPP capable of native dsd playback with r5? Tried to fiddle with various settings in order to get uapp to play ISOs/ .dsf files properly. However, playback is choppier (than with hiby music) and notification led never turns white:stuck_out_tongue:
Otherwise I prefer uapp over the stock player. Nicer and faster ui and not as picky with album art/meta tags.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,695 of 4,418
I wonder does the R5 have a microphone at all?
Just wondering if Shazam can be used.

My R5 is in the UK now, but I wouldn't be surprised if customs keep it in quarantine for a while.

Can anyone advise on the best choice for formatting a 256GB sdxc card for the R5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back