R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,412 of 4,421
I received a couple of days ago my R5, bought on 11.11. Compact size, great audio with wired headphones, but a couple of problems. The first is the problems touching the screen by the edges, you have to press several times to make it work. The second and most important is how bad bluetooth works. Two days ago walking around the city, I began to notice frequent micro cuts with my tws Tranya t3. Yesterday in a new probe ride with my pioneer SE-MJ561BT, the cuts were consistent with what you could barely hear the music. In some areas of my walking it worked worse than in others, so I think it can be an interference problem. Both bluetooth headphones work perfectly with my Xiaomi Mi 8 mobile. The r5 was updated to the latest version as soon as it was unpacked. I hope the problem can be fixed with some new update.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,413 of 4,421
Listened to Tidal and Qobuz via bluetooth from my S8+ today- sound pretty good. How many of those expensive bits of data am I losing using this method? Is there a wired method for using my phone's data to stream through the R5's far superior DAC's?

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,414 of 4,421
I got my R5 a couple of days ago and finally got around to using it today. Has anyone else had issues with the volume down button being flaky? I would say about 50% of the time it actually raises the volume. Unrelated to the volume issue, I have experienced some of the Wi-Fi connectivity issues that others have. The R5 doesn't seem to like 5GHz on my Netgear R7800, but 2.4GHz seems to work fine. I am running the most recent firmware on both the router and the R5 (and all apps are updated).

That all being said I really like the form factor, functionality, and sound of the R5 so far. Pretty much the ideal DAP for my needs.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,415 of 4,421
gtb75,
I have had an awful time with my netgear orbi when R5 gets switched to 5Ghz-always eventually get disconnected (although R5 says connected-I can't stream, browse etc). Look at my posts to see what I said about it if you are interested.
I am sorry you are having this issue but am also glad it's not just me. I have emailed support, but I do not know if they will take it seriously or not. Maybe you can find time to put in a support request so they realize something is screwy on 5GHz . And I agree with the other nice things you said about the R5- I like it too but don't want to get stuck with a device that doesn't utilize wifi properly. By the way I do not have the volume button problem but I do have the slow screen problem at times which other users have also had--like scrolling on a list of my music-in hiby music--a quick flick doesn't quickly and smoothly scroll it is jerky and only moves a little.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #1,416 of 4,421
gtb75,

I forgot to mention that I had thought is was just the 5GHz on mesh routers (netgear orbi, eero, google nest wifi-all failed for me) which have one ssid for both 2.4/5Ghz bands but I guess it is worse than that since you have a nighthawk which is a great router and R5 is having problems.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,417 of 4,421
Hey guys,
Check for an update to the list of plugins you can get for the hibymusic player online :wink:
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,419 of 4,421
gtb75,

I forgot to mention that I had thought is was just the 5GHz on mesh routers (netgear orbi, eero, google nest wifi-all failed for me) which have one ssid for both 2.4/5Ghz bands but I guess it is worse than that since you have a nighthawk which is a great router and R5 is having problems.
Could it be something to do with IPv4 vs. IPv6?

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,421 of 4,421
Superuser1--

Just want to mention I have Zero problems on any other device including a number of daps including Pioneer, Sony, Activo, etc.. so I don't get why if I am using IPv4 successfully why it would be an issue with R5. The only time I have ever read of anything like this was with an oculus quest on networks that share SSID's ( ithink they mentioned orbi's and some other equipment as well). I also did see it for myself--the quest would flash no internet connection intermittently when network handoff to 5GHz occurred. The only fix when I saw this-about 5 months ago was to set up an access point and pick either 2.4 or 5Ghz or split the bands by telnetting into the router.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,422 of 4,421
Superuser1--

Just want to mention I have Zero problems on any other device including a number of daps including Pioneer, Sony, Activo, etc.. so I don't get why if I am using IPv4 successfully why it would be an issue with R5. The only time I have ever read of anything like this was with an oculus quest on networks that share SSID's ( ithink they mentioned orbi's and some other equipment as well). I also did see it for myself--the quest would flash no internet connection intermittently when network handoff to 5GHz occurred. The only fix when I saw this-about 5 months ago was to set up an access point and pick either 2.4 or 5Ghz or split the bands by telnetting into the router.
I meant to suggest that if IPv6 was chosen it would be better to choose IPv4 but since you never had IPv6 on i am at a loss for suggestions. I hope it gets solved for you sooner than later.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,425 of 4,421
Hey guys,
Check for an update to the list of plugins you can get for the hibymusic player online :wink:
Joe

Excellent stuff, thanks for this - I love fiddling about with settings. On the same subject, is there any plan for any type of reverb plugin in the future?

I continue to be amazed at the sound that comes out of this little device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back