R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 26, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #106 of 4,410
Excuse (or ignore) my ignorance, but what is the difference between the M11 and M11 pro? Dac chips?... Possibly more? I'm leaning towards the R5 atm, mostly based on cost, and Google play access. Still going to wait for reviews though.

From what I have read. Upgraded DAC chips, new amp module (thx aaa), I think maybe more onboard storage, bigger battery... $250 dollars more expensive, priced the same as the hiby r6 pro. So that should likely be a better comparison, but I am just not really looking at the r6 pro. I find it hard to really hear any major differenes in SQ between daps/dacs, so spending at that level for one is hard to justify... then again, never heard any so called high end ones.

But yes, the r5 sounds very appealing because of how open the OS is, and that google play is available. Either way, still will likely wait until more impressions/reviews are out for both.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #107 of 4,410
From what I have read. Upgraded DAC chips, new amp module (thx aaa), I think maybe more onboard storage, bigger battery... $250 dollars more expensive, priced the same as the hiby r6 pro. So that should likely be a better comparison, but I am just not really looking at the r6 pro. I find it hard to really hear any major differenes in SQ between daps/dacs, so spending at that level for one is hard to justify... then again, never heard any so called high end ones.

But yes, the r5 sounds very appealing because of how open the OS is, and that google play is available. Either way, still will likely wait until more impressions/reviews are out for both.
Thanks for the reply. I'm with you, 400 is about as much as I am willing to spend. As with most everything, including headphones, the gap of diminishing returns starts to creep in. I'll keep my Opus#1s until it's dead. I'm sure more expensive daps do indeed sound better, but from my experience, the improved level of performance doesn't generally equate to price increases.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #109 of 4,410
Aug 29, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #112 of 4,410
I was feeling those propaganda vibes as I read through lol. Guess there's a reason that its on the 2nd or 3rd page of google results haha

When can we expect your review, @marcusd :D

pretty soon :wink:

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #117 of 4,410
Ordered one from Musicteck, I'm always looking for a nice powerful 'smaller' dap. Should be getting it early next week sometime. Will post a couple of pics and impressions then. I liked the R3 quite a bit, but the stock output was a bit warmish for my taste and the output seemed a touch weak.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #119 of 4,410
I'm super interested in this DAP. To me it seems the comparison between R5/ DX160, from what we know is

R5
Better SOC
Better battery life
Universal direct audio implementation

DX160
Better screen
Hardware MQA unfold
BT 5.0

Frankly, the biggest concerns for me are Hiby's history with low-impedance IEMs, and the recommendation on the product page not to go below 16R on input impedance. My Rolands are ~5R. Second, iBasso's tendency to tune neutral and extended rather than warm and rolled off (DX220 vs R6 Pro). Neutral DAP presentation is my preference.

Either way, they look like two very evenly matched players, especially if they're to be used as dedicated DAPs and not general digital content consumption platforms, at which point the R5's presumed SOC advantage might be enough to pull away decisively. Let's get this fight started already :D

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #120 of 4,410
I'm super interested in this DAP. To me it seems the comparison between R5/ DX160, from what we know is

R5
Better SOC
Better battery life
Universal direct audio implementation
Google Play out of the box

DX160
Better screen
Hardware MQA unfold
BT 5.0
Google Play after adding Lurkers mod if he does one

Frankly, the biggest concerns for me are Hiby's history with low-impedance IEMs, and the recommendation on the product page not to go below 16R on input impedance. My Rolands are ~5R. Second, iBasso's tendency to tune neutral and extended rather than warm and rolled off (DX220 vs R6 Pro). Neutral DAP presentation is my preference.

Either way, they look like two very evenly matched players, especially if they're to be used as dedicated DAPs and not general digital content consumption platforms, at which point the R5's presumed SOC advantage might be enough to pull away decisively. Let's get this fight started already :D

Added a couple more. Very interested in the 5 but no listings in the uk yet. Guessing $>£ as usual :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back