R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 8, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #18 of 4,410
What's the output impedance?
Also difference between this and r6?
This looks like a freaking budget powerhouse.
I was praying for this!

Hiby can kill the market with a lineup like this no one has a "budget" android dta player.

Count me in, I'll most likely buy asap.
Output Impedance is <1Ohm

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 4,410
One information From Hiby regarding DTA:

What HiBy has achieved, on the other hand, is a custom Android architecture that supports bit-perfect non-resampling output from all apps, as long as the app itself lays its hands off audio resampling. We call this the Direct Transport Audio architecture (DTA).

Before DTA, you had essentially 3 classes of audio apps with the following behaviour (excluding bundled audio apps with special privileges):
1. Apps that didn't give a whit about digital audio quality on its end, trusting Android with it (majority of apps): audio gets sent as is to the Android audio stack where it is digested and sent back out at the "native sample rate" of the device (usually 48kHz, but 44.1kHz is also common), along with a bit more messing about with track mixing.
2. Apps that cannot bypass the resampling process but nevertheless want to have control over the quality, by resampling the audio on its end before sending it to Android: audio gets resampled by the app's (presumably premium) resampling processes before being sent to Android. Audio mixing is still an issue.
3. Apps that utilize various more-or-less proprietary methods employed by different ROMs to bypass resampling. These apps produced bit-perfect output on supported devices, which unfortunately more often than not tended to be smartphones rather than DAPs with their special architectures. There were also quite few of these apps.

With the advent of DTA, the landscape changes for all these apps:
Class (1) is where the most of the action takes place, because we have takena apart the standard Android audio stack and turned it around its head, making it work bit-perfectly with no resampling taking place. Hence many, many apps previously expected to be of throwaway quality become bit-perfect transports. This includes streaming apps like Tidal and such, giving you maximum benefit from high-res lossless streaming.

Class (2) unfortunately benefits less from the new architecture, because DTA must still report a "device standard" sampling rate, even though it is in fact not tied down to any particular rate: these apps would take the superfluous step of resampling to 48kHz before sending it to DTA, where it nevertheless benefits from the removal of mixing processes.

Class (3) also benefits from DTA, because we have taken every step necessary to make it compatible with the other bit-perfect hacks used on the Android market before.

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 4,410
I hope Hiby give us a realease date soon, this looks very interesting. I was looking at the Fiio M11 (looks great but too big for my needs) and Fiio M9 (lots to like but I keep reading about lag issues) and hoping for something in between. Maybe the R5 is it?

I was considering the Fiio M11 too but this may have everything I want for cheaper and in a more compact form factor.

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 4,410
I was considering the Fiio M11 too but this may have everything I want for cheaper and in a more compact form factor.

I was actually considering the m6 instead of the m11 but this might do instead. I'm assuming the output impedence isn't going to be an issue on this one? Interesting no kickstarter for this model, guessing they don't need it now. As long as this doesn't have the crap wifi of the r6 it's a candidate.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #26 of 4,410
Thank you very much for the information.

This would be a perfect weight for my R6 Pro. I don't know how they can keep doing everything heavier, and heavier and heavier.
Beefier amps, and consumers feel that if it has some heft, it's higher quality. The r6 pro will have substantially more output than this, even the normal r6. This is closer to the m11. Given the dta, and no apparent downside (output impedance potentially which would be just ridiculous that hiby messed that up, and I'd probably begin to write them off as a company) , it's a pretty obvious great choice.

My guess is that in a true double blind test, no user can accurately differentiate between many of these daps. But it's easy to sell people things with the "high end" moniker, and consumers assume a $1000 item must be much better than a $500, so here we are... With tons of "high end" daps that probably don't perform much of anything better than the raved fiio m11, and we'll see how hiby fares competing at this price point.

Edit : lots of "high end" devices use stainless steel, and not a lighter weight plastic to convey high end elite status. The $100 jds atom is a top tier performing amp, and many will still say "what if I spend $300 on xyz" not understanding that price does not equal performance. ..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back