R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Aug 11, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #34 of 4,410
It seems the R5 does not support mqa and so no real tidal master files. I was hyped in the beginning, but that would be a deal breaker for me.. So I would stick with r3.. Let's see if they support mqa..

Quoting Joe Bloggs it will be similar to the R6(pro) regarding MQA, because of the similar SoC, and because this DAC does not decode MQA inside either. So, it would rely on app-level MQA decoding via e.g. TIDAL and UAPP.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 4,410
Quoting Joe Bloggs it will be similar to the R6(pro) regarding MQA, because of the similar SoC, and because this DAC does not decode MQA inside either. So, it would rely on app-level MQA decoding via e.g. TIDAL and UAPP.

Yep that's all. If the software will be able to unfold, this is done, but there is no further hardware decoding.

But to be honest, I won't expect hardware decoding by a mobile device. Would be gorgeous, but barely possible.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #38 of 4,410
Yep that's all. If the software will be able to unfold, this is done, but there is no further hardware decoding.

But to be honest, I won't expect hardware decoding by a mobile device. Would be gorgeous, but barely possible.
LG would like a word with you :wink:

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #39 of 4,410

The A&K SR15 uses the same pair of DAC chips as the R5, and also has a "Quad-Core CPU" (though, I can't find anywhere that actually lists the actual SoC model... the Snapdragon 425 used by the Hiby R5 is a quad-core ARM Cortex A53@1.4GHz), so it may be possible for Hiby to bring MQA to the R5 sometime later. The SR15 didn't support MQA until A&K released a firmware update sometime after they shipped it. The Snapdragon 425 in the R5 is a fairly low-end chip, though, so no telling whether they could pull that off and also run Android without locking it down (which they claim not to have done).

I'm not very likely to head back to Tidal, since I've been making a concerted effort at buying all my favorite music in hi-res formats where available (that is, converting from my ancient MP3 library to a new collection of hi-res FLAC files). I've gotten to the point where I was noticing that I wasn't seeing many of the songs I was lacking available in MQA in Tidal's library (not to mention Tidal simply not having a lot of the music I want to listen to).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 4,410
Pre order starts in 2 days. Currently no Amazon date announced.

Nope, this time I'm waiting. After being bitten twice with 2 r6 units that had crappy wifi I ain't doing that dance again. Amazon or amp3 in the uk for me. Besides which any import tax will probably wipe out the savings anyway :)

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #44 of 4,410
Nope, this time I'm waiting. After being bitten twice with 2 r6 units that had crappy wifi I ain't doing that dance again. Amazon or amp3 in the uk for me. Besides which any import tax will probably wipe out the savings anyway :)
Yep.. We had massive issues with some r3 that we got via Kickstarter..
With this quality issues we wait for an Amazon release so we can easily send it back if there are any issues..
Sending back to hiby was often reported as very cost and time consuming

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #45 of 4,410
Yep.. We had massive issues with some r3 that we got via Kickstarter..
With this quality issues we wait for an Amazon release so we can easily send it back if there are any issues..
Sending back to hiby was often reported as very cost and time consuming

I was "fortunate". Joe managed to arrange for me to send to amp3 in the uk who dealt with all the paperwork. Thing was the second one I got back wasn't much better than the first! Still at least once I got it set up how I wanted it's not been bad. Aside from the sd card unmounting a couple of times it's not been a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back