R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #1,246 of 4,410
Maybe I’m mistaking something here but has anyone else noticed this about physical track buttons on right side of R5–track forward button functions as track reverse and vice versa? Play button has a triangle sign pointing up for play forward, ie forward play is indicated by direction sign points. Logically, the button above it, when pressed, should move to next track forward. However, opposite occurs. Buttons function backwards. Fairly harmless irregularity but off.
Comments?

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,247 of 4,410
Maybe I’m mistaking something here but has anyone else noticed this about physical track buttons on right side of R5–track forward button functions as track reverse and vice versa? Play button has a triangle sign pointing up for play forward, ie forward play is indicated by direction sign points. Logically, the button above it, when pressed, should move to next track forward. However, opposite occurs. Buttons function backwards. Fairly harmless irregularity but off.
Comments?
Many, if not all, of the Chinese sourced DAP's work this way. It's not illogical, just different :wink:

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,248 of 4,410
Many, if not all, of the Chinese sourced DAP's work this way. It's not illogical, just different :wink:

I can’t resist a rejoinder to that. I can accept different. I’m even grateful to contemplate the apparent nuance of the distinction between ‘logical’ and ‘different’ especially as it pertains to contrasts between eastern and western thinking styles. However, forward is forward, etc. This ain’t philosophy we’re referring to but an electronic device which, but for principles of hard science physical design, could not begin to operate. Logic is logic and must always remain so. No physics without it. Anyhow I will be thinking of you’re poetic point when I’m changing songs by those buttons! Cheers

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #1,249 of 4,410
I can’t resist a rejoinder to that. I can accept different. I’m even grateful to contemplate the apparent nuance of the distinction between ‘logical’ and ‘different’ especially as it pertains to contrasts between eastern and western thinking styles. However, forward is forward, etc. This ain’t philosophy we’re referring to but an electronic device which, but for principles of hard science physical design, could not begin to operate. Logic is logic and must always remain so. No physics without it. Anyhow I will be thinking of you’re poetic point when I’m changing songs by those buttons! Cheers
May i interject to put in a surrejoinder: I think the buttons behaviour can be changed from the settings.

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,250 of 4,410
For me, the forward button being at the bottom makes perfect sense from UI perspective. Especially when changing track in a pocket, the first button from the bottom is the easiest to find. Feeling around for the previous button take more work and is less often used.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #1,251 of 4,410
I've given up explaining this :frowning2:

I think it's just fine that the lower button is used to forward to the next track, especially as that agrees with the the screen showing the next track below the current one in any list view.

But I'll never understand why 3 products and several batches later, the play button is still pointing the other way :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,252 of 4,410
I've given up explaining this :frowning2:

I think it's just fine that the lower button is used to forward to the next track, especially as that agrees with the the screen showing the next track below the current one in any list view.

But I'll never understand why 3 products and several batches later, the play button is still pointing the other way :frowning2:

I feel for you. For me its just a matter of getting used to it. No big hassle, its the SQ that matters.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,254 of 4,410
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #1,256 of 4,410
Anyone who experiences the same issues? I got a replacement for the defective R5..
And this one has an electrostatic smearing effect on the display (smearing vertical lines following the thumb). I now added a video where you can see it.

Hiby tells me that is a normal behavior of the touch screen, so that should happen on other devices also. Could you check on yours? It is quite disturbing to me.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #1,257 of 4,410
I have no experience with Hiby DAP's

But having plowed through alot of the Hiby R3 thread I see it has alot of issues and a ton of firmware updates. Since the R3 Pro looks to be similar to the R5 and should have the latest UI. I would love an honest evaluation on the R5 and any issues it has that may or may not end up in the R3 Pro. I know the R5 gets very good reviews but I would love some real world feedback.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,258 of 4,410

But having plowed through alot of the Hiby R3 thread I see it has alot of issues and a ton of firmware updates. Since the R3 Pro looks to be similar to the R5 and should have the latest UI. I would love an honest evaluation on the R5 and any issues it has that may or may not end up in the R3 Pro. I know the R5 gets very good reviews but I would love some real world feedback.

Hey.
You can go through this thread and have lots of experiences described.

For me, the R5 offers great sound quality via 4.4mm balanced out. 3.5mm single ended was not too great with my testing.

There were some issues at the beginning when the R5 was extremely slow but that got fixed with some Google play services settigs.

The only thing that I have experienced is the smearing in the display that I showed one thread before yours. Hiby said this is a normal behavior of the touch display, so that's a thing that disturbs me heavily. The r3 has a great display, the r5 display seems to be somewhat worse, especially if that smear is really normal.

If you do not mind the display and use balanced headphones, go for the R5, then it is a great sounding device!

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,259 of 4,410
Hi Guys,
What 512GB micro SD do you suggest me?

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,260 of 4,410

I have both the R3 and R5. The biggest difference between the two is that the R3 uses Hiby's own custom operating system and not Android unlike the R5. So if you only play music off your miniSD card and Tidal (stream only), then the R3 is capable. However, if you want more than that, namely download music on Tidal, use other apps (UAPP, Amazon Music, etc.) then the R5 is the way to go.

In terms of sound quality, I find the R5 better, more precise, more oomph and with a wider sound stage. But the R3 is no slouch.
I'm using the 4.4mm on the R5 however, whereas I was using the 3.5mm connector on the R3.
I haven't had any issues with the R5 in terms of display or behavior.

But yeah the biggest difference between the two is the OS: Hiby OS vs Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back