R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #467 of 4,410
Ok so I was curious about Tidal since spotify and amazon music are so snappy on r5. I got the free trial (been a while) set steaming to master and messed with it. - I also put it on my galaxy 10e with 8 gig of ram and the snapdragon 855, well lo and behold they were both identical in speed.

I can't record my phone, but the switching of album covers and speed of menus switching is identical. On both no other programs were running. Here is a vid of the r5 with tidal, please excuse the crappy quality and the middle part where it looks like the play/pause button is not responding is me missing the hit box. - I'm right handed.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #468 of 4,410
Yea, after the initial startup and letting everything get setup up, the player has been rock solid and fast.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #469 of 4,410
Also there was a firmware update available today. Bug fixes, increased screen response, cutoff filters added, and some Japanese certification. 1.13G

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #470 of 4,410
Wow, if thats the case that would be a no go ;( because I always stream tidal..
I have not found Tidal to lag either using it's own app or through UAPP. Fact is, Tidal, Spotify, Deezer and TuneIn all run normally for me with no noticeable lag. I do not, however, have a lot of apps running at the same time.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #471 of 4,410
Update went flawlessly. Took about 4 minutes. Over-air updates are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #472 of 4,410
aptX/aptxHD supported? I did not find information on these protocols on the official site

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #473 of 4,410
aptX/aptxHD supported? I did not find information on these protocols on the official site
AptX is supported as it shows when playing my Bluetooth IEM's. Don't think AptX-HD is though.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #476 of 4,410
still struggling to get this or dx160

snapdragon chip and play store are big plus but i ve read few reviews saying dx160 sq in especially 4.4mm out is better and it looks less like a zx300...
I'd imagine a Lurker mod will be available for the dx160 adding playstore at some point, though of course that isn't a given.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #477 of 4,410

snapdragon chip and play store are big plus but i ve read few reviews saying dx160 sq in especially 4.4mm out is better and it looks less like a

snapdragon chip and play store are big plus but i ve read few reviews saying dx160 sq in especially 4.4mm out is better and it looks less like a zx300...

Lol ibasso ALWAYS sounds better- heavy sarcasm there. :wink: good luck with that RC soc. And zx500 isn't close in price.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #478 of 4,410
thanks for the review! crackle sound during ON - OFF? you serious? this sure is a deal breaker for me . owned many daps before and only my zishan (30usd) player does that ...
It’s only if you have your headphones plugged in whilst booting up, if not no sound :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #479 of 4,410
Ok so I was curious about Tidal since spotify and amazon music are so snappy on r5. I got the free trial (been a while) set steaming to master and messed with it. - I also put it on my galaxy 10e with 8 gig of ram and the snapdragon 855, well lo and behold they were both identical in speed.

I can't record my phone, but the switching of album covers and speed of menus switching is identical. On both no other programs were running. Here is a vid of the r5 with tidal, please excuse the crappy quality and the middle part where it looks like the play/pause button is not responding is me missing the hit box. - I'm right handed.

Hmm maybe I got a defective unit ? I’ll record what I mean by lag and put it up in a few mins

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #480 of 4,410
Hmm maybe I got a defective unit ? I’ll record what I mean by lag and put it up in a few mins

Yep something is going on, mine runs just like my phone. The only lag on mine is me fumbling with my off hand to hit the correct points. I was just curious, I'm not big on tidal.

Also I haven't messed with any GP settings or system settings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back