R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,826 of 4,418
Normally I try to be polite, but I really think MQA is a scam. It is a lossy compression scheme pretending to be a highly efficient hi res codec.

It may be the very best lossy format ever, but it is lossy.
And here I thought you were going to be the neutral third party. I appreciate your honesty.

Have they ever fixed the bitrate reporting using the Amazon Music app? Heard everything was being displayed at 24/192 regardless of the source file, but never saw if the loop got closed on that.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #3,827 of 4,418
Misery: I don't pay much attention to the reported bitrates on Amazon HD on the R5. Even if the reported quality is off its not like I can do anything about it.

On my PC the bit rates for Amazon HD all display properly. The biggest challenge on the PC is setting up audio drivers properly to accept proper bit rates. After windows updates sometimes I find the drivers are reset to a lower resolution and need to do a reset. Frankly I have to admit that I can't really tell the difference between 24 - 96 and 24 - 192. I can hear a level of opening up (usually, depends on the mastering) when going from 16 - 44 to 24 - 44 or better; I think it is more about lower noise floors and less compression than anything else.

With regard to MQA; just because I don't buy into that particular ecosystem does not mean I don't respect the effort to properly decode MQA files. If somebody buys into it and the unit supports it then I would also want the best possible playback of those files.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,828 of 4,418
I don't pay much attention to the reported bitrates on Amazon H D on the R5. On my PC the bit rates all display properly. The biggest challenge on the PC is setting up audio drivers properly to accept proper bit rates. After windows updates sometimes I find the drivers are reset to a lower resolution and need to do a reset. Frankly I have to admit that I can't really tell the difference between 24 - 96 and 24 - 192. I can hear a level of opening up (usually, depends on the mastering) when going from 16 - 44 to 24 - 44 or better; I think it is more about lower noise floors and less compression than anything else.
Agreed. Windows has definitely made it a little tough to make sure you're sending an unrestricted signal to any external device; that's been a point of contention since my production days. I just can't stand audio routing with Win10. Just went through that process with a full wipe/restore of the computer that hosts my Roon server.

I also haven't seen a practical benefit to upsampling past the master rate. I've seen some of the theoretical arguments about how it pushes audible artifacting past the presence region and, therefore, should remove it from audibility.H

Hanz Beekhuyzen's YT analyses of Hi-Res audio are interesting, to say the least. Has some pretty confusing theories on noise rejection, but I think he did a pretty good job with talking about file formats and lossless vs lossy audio

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,829 of 4,418
One of the "things" about a hifi hobby and there will be points here and there where we jump from the world of objectivity (specs, graphs, etc.) to subjectivity. Everybody will argue about where those jumps are; but the jumps certainly do occur. Hence arguments about vinyl vs digital; lossy vs lossless; 16 bit vs 24 bit; benefits of certain circuit designs.

I think its funny to argue about vinyl; its too bad reel to reel never became a "thing" for mass distribution of music. Reel to Reel has far fewer of the problems I associate with vinyl (warps, pops and clicks).

Those arguments will never, be definition, ultimately be fully resolved. I think its part of the fun. Meanwhile we carry around in our pockets devices that make great sound available on the go or in the home / office at very modest price points.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,830 of 4,418
I haven't tried off line with Amazon, but I will and report back.

Noting that this a an R5 thread, I still think the R5 is an outstanding DAP. It has more power and a later version of Android which matters to some. My R5 is fairly old and the battery life is suffering, so I decided to try something different. I have several Hiby DAPs and have never owned a Shanling.

@originalsnuffy

I downloaded an UltraHD Amazon playlist to my micro sd card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 400GB) and have been listening for a couple of hours (wifi off). Everything is working perfectly and as expected. I started and stopped a few times and jumped around the playlist as well. The music started immediately on each track and there were no slowdowns or skipping. I think Shanling's recommendation to store offline tracks on internal memory may simply have to do with potential sd card quality/speed issues more than anything else.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #3,831 of 4,418
@originalsnuffy

I downloaded an UltraHD Amazon playlist to my micro sd card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 400GB) and have been listening for a couple of hours (wifi off). Everything is working perfectly and as expected. I started and stopped a few times and jumped around the playlist as well. The music started immediately on each track and there were no slowdowns or skipping. I think Shanling's recommendation to store offline tracks on internal memory may simply have to do with potential sd card quality/speed issues more than anything else.
If you have not already done so, it would be great for you to post this in the M3X thread also.

The real test is how the M3X deals with a lot of music on the card. My R5 gets overwhelmed when I download 200 or 300 gb of music. Or that is my interpretation of its behavior. A bit anthropomorphic perhaps but you get my general point.

By the way, Amazon Music does offer built in online and offline modes.

Seems like the M3X sounds pretty similar to the R5 if I am interpreting one of your previous posts.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,832 of 4,418
If you have not already done so, it would be great for you to post this in the M3X thread also.

The real test is how the M3X deals with a lot of music on the card. My R5 gets overwhelmed when I download 200 or 300 gb of music. Or that is my interpretation of its behavior. A bit anthropomorphic perhaps but you get my general point.

By the way, Amazon Music does offer built in online and offline modes.

Seems like the M3X sounds pretty similar to the R5 if I am interpreting one of your previous posts.

I did switch to offline mode. I figured turning off wifi wouldn't hurt while testing. To me the R5 and M3X sound essentially the same. I am always hesitant to make statements about sound as it seems some people have much better ears than me. I simply wouldn't want someone to spend $$$ based on my recommendation only to be disappointed and feel mislead. I will post in M3X thread. :sunglasses:

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,833 of 4,418
One of the "things" about a hifi hobby and there will be points here and there where we jump from the world of objectivity (specs, graphs, etc.) to subjectivity. Everybody will argue about where those jumps are; but the jumps certainly do occur. Hence arguments about vinyl vs digital; lossy vs lossless; 16 bit vs 24 bit; benefits of certain circuit designs.

I think its funny to argue about vinyl; its too bad reel to reel never became a "thing" for mass distribution of music. Reel to Reel has far fewer of the problems I associate with vinyl (warps, pops and clicks).

Those arguments will never, be definition, ultimately be fully resolved. I think its part of the fun. Meanwhile we carry around in our pockets devices that make great sound available on the go or in the home / office at very modest price points.
Wholeheartedly agree. I'm looking to have fun and enjoy my stuff, but try to avoid the stuff that comes across as blatant snake oil.

I fully understand what you mean about RtR vs records. I've sunk enough into records at this point that my decision is fairly made, but even I'll tip my hat to analog tape (not cassette) being a fantastic listening experience. Not the most efficient medium, but man does it reward your efforts.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,834 of 4,418
To me @Dannemand ’s well-argued and considered rebuttal makes this video and its author’s motives look as suspicious as MQA itself.

I found that rebuttal disingenuous because of where he says, "There was no desire to truly 'explore how MQA works'."

Whether or not one agrees with the methods, quite obviously, GoldenSound was trying to figure out how MQA works using the different tests that are presented in that video. Despite the difficulty of testing a closed encoding and decoding format.

So attacking GoldenSound's character in this instance says a lot about the person doing the attacking.

May 6, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #3,835 of 4,418
Here's my review of the HiBy R5 Saber and it's a recommended buy!

https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r5-saber-review/

1620280622387.png

May 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,836 of 4,418
Just updated my R5's Hiby Music app (R5 International Professional Edition) to version 1.6.2.

A much needed improvement to the speed that artwork updates when scrolling through the album menu.
However, it's still not as fast as UAPP.

I couldn't find the changelog online but I believe there are some USB audio related tweaks.

May 10, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,837 of 4,418
I picked up an R5 Saber a couple months ago. I am really loving it so far. I do not, however, love the leather case that came with it. It's a good case but it adds too much bulk for me. The compact size of the R5s was one of the main selling points for me.

Does anyone know where I can buy a plastic case for the R5s? Something like this:

s-l500.jpg

Alternatively, if anyone has the plastic case that came with the original R5, and would like to trade me for the leather case that came with my R5s, we could make that happen. I'm just surprised that I cannot find a plastic case for the R5 anywhere, even with all the companies producing aftermarket DAP/phone cases. Any help is appreciated!

May 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3,838 of 4,418
I picked up an R5 Saber a couple months ago. I am really loving it so far. I do not, however, love the leather case that came with it. It's a good case but it adds too much bulk for me. The compact size of the R5s was one of the main selling points for me.

Does anyone know where I can buy a plastic case for the R5s? Something like this:

s-l500.jpg

Alternatively, if anyone has the plastic case that came with the original R5, and would like to trade me for the leather case that came with my R5s, we could make that happen. I'm just surprised that I cannot find a plastic case for the R5 anywhere, even with all the companies producing aftermarket DAP/phone cases. Any help is appreciated!
How is the bass on the R5S?

May 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3,839 of 4,418
Just updated my R5's Hiby Music app (R5 International Professional Edition) to version 1.6.2.

A much needed improvement to the speed that artwork updates when scrolling through the album menu.
However, it's still not as fast as UAPP.

I couldn't find the changelog online but I believe there are some USB audio related tweaks.

I'm not seeing the update on my R5. Was it OTA?

May 11, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #3,840 of 4,418
I'm not seeing the update on my R5. Was it OTA?
Yes, it was an OTA update for the Hiby music app, not the R5 itself.
I found it in the 'about' section, and hit 'update check'.
Which version of the app are you on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back