R.I.P. Dr. Amar Bose
Jul 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #46 of 54
I don't put Amar Bose up on a pedestal and I won't pretend to. I see him as a smart man with a brilliant idea in psychoacoustics that he failed to implement to its fullest extent, and who engaged in a wide manner of dubious business practices to mask these failures.

I am simply remembering Amar Bose as I perceive him, and I think I have just as much of a right to express my view point as you do yours. If my negative opinion of him somehow ruins your positive opinion, I think you are the person who needs to grow up. You might as well be one of those people who argues on the internet all day about how much better your console or religion is than everybody else's.

As an aside, if you think Bose only makes two different headphones, you might want to take another look at their product catalog. Just so you know.

The only 2 that any one cares about. I guess I forgot about the on ear versions and wireless ones.

Also, it's pretty common courtesy to not say bad things about someone when they die. Didn't your mom ever take you to a funeral?
I'm not trying to get in a fight, just pointing out that posting that was insensitive.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #47 of 54
I've been through so many headphones over the past 5 years. The sound of a headphone is the most important factor for me, but it's never the only factor. Comfort comes next in line and in this regard the AE2 stands as one of the very best, if not the best performer I've ever come across. The sound isn't that bad either.

Agreed here. I really like my AE2's as casual use TV/desktop use headphones due to their comfort. I never use them as my music headphones as I have much better options, but for casual use I find them good enough on SQ and excellent on comfort while providing some degree of isolation.

I always said if Bose did indeed do any research, it probably mostly went into ergonomics and comfort... It's one (of the only) area that some other headphone companies do need to learn from IMO... Long term comfort really is an important thing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #48 of 54
Agreed here. I really like my AE2's as casual use TV/desktop use headphones due to their comfort. I never use them as my music headphones as I have much better options, but for casual use I find them good enough on SQ and excellent on comfort while providing some degree of isolation.

I always said if Bose did indeed do any research, it probably mostly went into ergonomics and comfort... It's one (of the only) areas that some other headphone companies do need to learn from IMO... Long term comfort really is an important thing.

100%

Thing is that we often wear a single headphone a day longer than we sleep!
Comfort definitely matters, and matters big time. Actually the only reason why I still have the sony mdr1r is because of the days/nights I have a sore head and want to listen to smooth soothing music. Nothing else that I have i find comfortable enough is such situations - not even the d7k.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #50 of 54
On Saturday morning, before I heard of his passing, I was at a bose home cinema demo.

I was completely floored at how good their TV sounded. Okay, the picture quality wasn't great for a TV of £3500, but the sound from it's inbuilt speakers was completely remarkable as far as TV speakers go. Much better than many 5.1 home cinema (£1000+) that I've heard.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #51 of 54
Bose did a lot for bringing attention to better quality audio. Their products are generally heavy on marketing, over-hyped and over priced, but every product I've had interaction with was decent. Their noise cancelling is very well done, if you like that sort of thing. In college I had to take a circuit analysis class in the Electrical Engineering school. My professor had been a student of Dr Bose.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #52 of 54
Does anyone know if he was related to Miguel Bose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back