R.E.M. calls it quits
Sep 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
R.E.M. officially disbanded today.

I realize that the band probably isn't that important to the younger members here, but R.E.M. ushered in alternative rock and turned out nine excellent albums in a row. Aside from the Beach Boys, I don't think any American rock act has been so prolific and consistently good. Wilco has had a great run, too, but they have never had wide airplay and a similar level of commercial success.

It's a bit of a sad day for me, since R.E.M. was always playing in the background for a good 10-12 years of my life. I drifted away after Berry left; some of their later material is good, but it wasn't as special as it was before. Still, R.E.M. was a huge act and it seems like parts of their catalog appeal to everyone. Some like the early stuff only, but I loved that and everything through Monster.

After hearing the news today, I dropped Eponymous into the rig and was surprised at how fresh and timeless their early material is. If you're not familiar with R.E.M., that is a great place to start. My favorite is still Automatic for the People, which is also worth a listen.

And this is yet another thing that makes me feel older. R.E.M. was a big part of my earlier years and now they're gone.

Though it's not entirely bad. All the members are still alive and healthy. Further, R.E.M. does not appear to have dissolved into lawsuits and hatred - everyone (publically) gets along fine.

So maybe they'll end up noodling around together again. Maybe Berry will want to play with the gang again. Maybe another great album will turn up five or ten years down the line, followed by a tour. You never know.

At the least, I'm thankful for nine incredible albums and that the breakup didn't occur because someone died or there was a nasty fight over money.

And, strangely, "Losing My Religion" just turned up on the bar's stereo as I finish this post. :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 33
Funny…when I first heard the news yesterday afternoon, my first impulse was to hear Eponymous also, though I didn't end up putting it on. I will now.

Admittedly, I stopped keeping up with the band at some point in the mid-'90s, but I have great memories…saw them several times before 1987…they were ridiculously good live. One thing that always struck me about them even later on was their continued humility…like it even amazed them that folks dug them so much…rock & roll could use a bit more of that…

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 33
well im 17 and my parents really like R.E.M so im also a fan, sad news that such a great band have quit. I was watching the old grey whistle test and there was an R.E.M song and it was such a great performance. They will be missed by many.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
well im 17 and my parents really like R.E.M so im also a fan…

…geez, I just did the math and realized that I'd seen R.E.M. several times years before you were born…might have even been at a gig with one of your folks (or at least caught the same tour)…the upshot of the story: It's cool when the great stuff endures…
beyersmile.png

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 33
They will be missed but at least we got a lot of good music from them....

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
At the least, I'm thankful for nine incredible albums and that the breakup didn't occur because someone died or there was a nasty fight over money.

I would argue 10 great albums.  I think 1996's "New Adventures In Hi-Fi" is fantastic. The last 2 aren't bad either.  They aren't great but certainly enjoyable.  This year's "Collapse Into Now" was, in my opinion, their best since Berry left the band in 1997.  It gave me some hope that they weren't done, but today, I find out they probably are.

R.E.M. is my favorite band of all time.  "Murmer" is my favorite album of all time.  "Fables of the Reconstruction" isn't far behind.  "Reckoning", "Automatic for the People" aren't far after that.  I'd probably consider "Chronic Town" the best of all, but it's only an EP.  Listening to "Driver 8" on cassette tape on a "boom box" seems like just yesterday.  R.E.M. will be missed but they have left us plenty to remember them by.  

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 33
Solo projects wont be as good as the ones with the whole band IMO. Sad news. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Saw them live in the UK with the "Monster' tour.......Line up was: - Sleeper, Radiohead, The Cranberries, REM. Huge day and one I will never forget. They were superb live.

I love the early stuff and play it regularly (Murmur, Reckoning etc) their newer stuff just didn't hit the spot with me unfortunately. 

Kind of a sad day, but maybe they have been "Flogging a Dead Horse" for a while and decided enough was enough..........it must be incredibly difficult to keep churning out Albums at such a high level. The pressure from fans and critics, plus their first few albums were just so damn good.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 33
Funny memory for me.  Mom asked me to pick a couple CDs out so she could get the ten needed from that music club that would sell you a CD for full price and you get nine more for a penny a piece.  I think that's how it went.  And paid for shipping and handling.  I picked R.E.M.'s Green album, cause I had no idea what to pick out and Stand was popular on MTV.  Hah, back when MTV played music.  In the end I can only remember the song Orange Crush.

The other CD I picked was Blind Melon's self titled.  I became a HUGE Blind Melon fan.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Good, REM has always sucked.

lol
not that bad, they had some good songs. I disliked the last album though. 
Good luck to them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back