R E C E N T - Purchases Thread
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #31 of 77
Rogue RH-5- 8.5/10 great sound....great power. Excellent compliment to my PrimaLuna. Remote is cheap feeling.
Hifiman HE1000SE- will be arriving tomorrow
Kennerton Rognir- just released 2 days ago. Just ordered this morning. I have high hopes for this one. My guess it will best the Stellia and Verite CB.

Non headphone Audio
Lawrence Audio Violin SE speakers .... havent recieved them yet.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 77
Rogue RH-5- 8.5/10 great sound....great power. Excellent compliment to my PrimaLuna. Remote is cheap feeling.
Kennerton Rognir- just released 2 days ago. Just ordered this morning. I have high hopes for this one. My guess it will best the Stellia and Verite CB.

Non headphone Audio
Patrician. Love it, please leave a comment on the HE1000SE I was sparked interest in the originals when Hifiman offered me the Arya for $1300 new and I keep coming back to the thought of why the hell do they keep discontinuing their best headphones.

Just bought the Focal Clear MG today; eager to see how it compares to my current Clear. Ultimately one has to go...
PLEASE update on this, keep hearing the MG loses some technical qualities but ultimately has a more pleasing sound, if you happen to feel like it would love to hear details from a new owner vs reading stuffy reviews!

:) thread getting good

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 77

Non headphone Audio
I'm also super interested in hearing about the HE1000se; might be my end-game set

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #35 of 77
Most recent purchases (this year):
iFi signature 9/10, great sound, it was immediately apparent that it's much better than Black label.
Hedd Heddphone 9.5/10, a game changer. The sound is awesome. The build is very good. Ergonomics and fit is just ok.
Sony NW-ZX507, 7/10, sound is good. I bought it for the system wide eq. I like that it's small, but the screen size just get's on my nerves. I would've made it an inch wider. I can't recommend it because battery life is abysmal. You definitely have to charge it everyday.
IMR Opus Mia 8.5/10, Really nice sound, very bassy, but controlled. Sonion EST's are done well, not too bright.
Fiio M15 9.5/10, endgame dap with endgame sound.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #36 of 77
Purchased the Topping A90 a week ago from Apos. It's supposed to arrive today, but according to DHL tracking, it literally just left Hong Kong SAR, China about 3 hours ago.

I have a distinct feeling it's not going to be here in Central Florida today.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #37 of 77
My recent purchase, in fact my first headphone purchase for many years, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. It felt like a risk, since there are as many negative reviews as positive, they seem to be a marmite headphone, with more not liking than liking. I am definitely in the liking camp. They are not too bright at all, the mids are clear and the bass thumps way more than the K702s, my other open backed headphones.

The volume on the X-Can V8P is turned up higher than with other headphones I have, which I put down to the 250 ohms. Notably, as I crank up the volume, without anything playing, despite the claims of excessive treble, there is no sign of background "hisss".

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #38 of 77
Well received the HE1000SE. In combination with my new amp, Wells Audio Dragon Level 2, they are now my favorite headphone.
Rognir is simply the best closed back I have ever heard.
New speakers are sensational….beautiful as well. If you have never heard of Lawrence Audio Violin SE…..I urge you to look them up. Crazy good.
I also recieved the new KT170s for my PrimaLuna amp….Enjoying them so far.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #39 of 77
Bought within last 60 days -> if you can rating 1-10 on value with a few words on it
Notate which you are excited about or regret etc

Me:
Anker Q30 8/10 great all arounder but a lot of bass
TaoTronics SS 46 6.5/10 good but flawed, good at $30 -> buy
Mixcder E10 7/10 great sound sig. and build if you don't mind smaller ear holes or like on ear and don't need ANC steal at $40ish OB
Monoprice M570 -> WAITING
Monoprice M1570 -> WAITING
We need a thread like this. I really enjoy this thread on HiFi Guides. You learn about new products and if you're broke you can live vicariously through them.:ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #40 of 77
This thread seems to have gone crickets of late. But, here are my guilty pleasures:
  • Focal Stellia 8/10. The leather feels nice to the touch and detail of sound is great.
  • Arctic Cable Magnus 7/10. The matching looks with the Stellia makes me happy.
  • Chord TT2 9/10. Compact, great sound, and I love the glowing pebbles.
  • Chord M-scaler 6/10. Yes it makes a difference but value for money is on the low side.
  • Sennheiser HD800S 8/10. For my very specific use case of nature field recordings, these are the best.
  • SBooster 5V + PD-CF linear power supply for Bluesound Node2i 9/10. Created blacker background. I expected little change, got large change.
Yes, this was a bit crazy but I’ve been researching and weighing my options for a long time.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #41 of 77
Cayin IDac-6 - 8/10. Extremely well built, good sound quality-better than Topping D50s with Burson V5I-D opamp and iFi Ipower power supply/cable but not quite as good as MHDT Steeplechase and Havanna DACs. Sound is smooth yet has good drive and dynamics, 3-D soundstage. Versatile as can be used as preamp also and is now my go-to DAC for my headphone setups.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - 8.25/10. I really like this can. It has a detailed yet smooth sound. Imagine if you took HD650s and added a little more bass and better treble extension, plus a more expansive soundstage. It sounds great with tube hybrid and otl tube amps. Comfort is outstanding also. The only thing that keeps these from rating higher is the bass breaks up and starts to distort at lower volumes than any of my other upper-tier rated cans. The volume they start to break-up at is actually well above what would probably be considered a safe long-term listening level but it is noticeable. They are not for turning the volume up and rocking out but keep the volume level at moderately high and below and they sing.

Sennheiser HD-660s - 7.5/10. These are not bad at all don't get me wrong. They are probably the most technically proficient of all the phones in the 600 family with the best detail, soundstage, and imaging. They are not quite as smooth as the 6XX/650s, have as good vocals as the 600s, or as fun as the 58Xs (my opinion) but they are probably the best all-arounders in the family. I would rate these higher if the US MSRP was closer to the 600s or 650s.

Hifiman Deva - 9/10. I actually bought these for my lady for her birthday so I don't have a huge amount of listening time on these. My rating is largely dependant on her opinion of these and she absolutely loves them! I did get a chance to listen to these a few times and I have to admit I'm quite shocked on how good these sound with the Bluemini bluetooth module. I'm not a huge fan of bluetooth as a general rule of thumb for critical listening but I could live with these. I'm strongly considering getting a pair of these after hearing them and that says it all.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #42 of 77
I had a very busy fall and winter, but I am not sure how much came in the last two months. I will take a shot though:

1) LCD-2 Classic's. 6-7 out of 10. I bought them about six months ago. I only mention them as I recently traded them for a pair of Beyer T5's, third gen. Initial feel is 7-8 out of 10 and the closed back is more useful right now.

Audio Technica WP900's. Beautiful, light and comfortable. I don't care for the sound though, so they are for sale. VERY V-shaped. I would say 6 out of 10, but I am a vocals lover.

3) Next up is a "new to me" amp, the iFi Pro iCAN. Very powerful amp and nobody, IMO, does bass boost better than iFi. 3D sound is also very interesting, depending on the headphone.
Also it is a tube/SS hybrid. 8 out of 10 with use and might even go higher. Very impressive amp.

I just bought a set of Monolith M1570's and am waiting for delivery. Also waiting on a pair of T60 Argons. 13 weeks and counting. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 77
Just to clarify my post above I'm not saying the Deva has better sound quality than either the Amiron Home or 660s. Both have better absolute sound quality than the Deva. The Deva's rating is as a bluetooth headphone. The Deva sounds better than any bluetooth can I've heard by a substantial margin.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #44 of 77
I had a very busy fall and winter, but I am not sure how much came in the last two months. I will take a shot though:

1) LCD-2 Classic's. 6-7 out of 10. I bought them about six months ago. I only mention them as I recently traded them for a pair of Beyer T5's, third gen. Initial feel is 7-8 out of 10 and the closed back is more useful right now.

Audio Technica WP900's. Beautiful, light and comfortable. I don't care for the sound though, so they are for sale. VERY V-shaped. I would say 6 out of 10, but I am a vocals lover.

3) Next up is a "new to me" amp, the iFi Pro iCAN. Very powerful amp and nobody, IMO, does bass boost better than iFi. 3D sound is also very interesting, depending on the headphone.
Also it is a tube/SS hybrid. 8 out of 10 with use and might even go higher. Very impressive amp.

I just bought a set of Monolith M1570's and am waiting for delivery. Also waiting on a pair of T60 Argons. 13 weeks and counting. :rolling_eyes:
Can't wait to get your impressions of the Argon. I bought mine used so I didn't have a long wait but imho the wait is worth it.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #45 of 77
Just to follow-up:

Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Open (Open, Planar) - 8/10 - First of all the build and design of these is top-notch. They're very light for their size but don't feel at all cheap or fragile to me, which is quite an accomplishment. Very comfortable as well. In terms of sound, they're warm, fast and detailed. Bass is well extended. They're a bit narrow and intimate, there's good instrument separation but there's not a huge sense of space. They're not the most dynamic or exciting headphone around, but so far they've handled everything I've thrown at them well. They're very well-balanced with a natural tonality that makes them an easy listen. I do think there are some peaks in the treble region that might bother some people, but playing around with the tuning filters seemed to take care of that for me.
I love my Aeon Flow X. It's my favorite phone by far. What amp are you running with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back