R-10 isolation question
Jun 24, 2004 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
Sometimes when my wife is messing around in the next room it bothers me wearing the HD650s - it is generally masked but you know how it is. Anyway, given that the R-10s are closed is there more isolation from outside noises when using the R-10 compared to the open HD650s? If so is the amount of isolation significant?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
Sometimes when my wife is messing around in the next room it bothers me

I'd be bothered too if my wife was messing around in the next room!

haha jk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 20
Sorry. I realize that wasn't a real response. Assuming that the R10s are anything like the CD3000s, I find that my CD3000s provide a generally adequate (for me) level of isolation that definitely improves on the zero isolation of open headphones.

Surely, there are quieter headphones out there, but it is possible that the R10 (if anything like the CD3k) might just isolate well enough for your needs. Then again, it might not. To really know, you'd have to try some out to find out. Perhaps you could borrow some from some head-fiers who live near you.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 20
The R-10s provide a moderate amount of isolation. It will block out TV in the next room along with voices of people standing within a couple of feet of you. If moderately loud music is playing. If the music is quiet or has stopped, you'll hear everything, just slightly muffled. Better than a 650, worse than canalphones.

At least that is what I find.

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey
The R-10s provide a moderate amount of isolation... Better than a 650, worse than canalphones.

Huh?? Wouldn't that pretty much would be a description of ANY non-open, regular-sized headphone?

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 20
I have both HD600 and R10. R10 provides some isolation, but with no music, I can still hear the computer humming, for example. With music with little silence, and reasonable loudness, it does a fair job in isolating outside noise. The material used is not the best insulator, and the head band is not very tight, so as far as closed headphones go, I would give it 5/10.

On the other hand, they sound fantastic. They create the space around you, something HD600's cannot manage. They are sweet. If you have the money, don't think twice.

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
if they are anything like the cd3k, they don't isolate at all, at least no more than a thick beanie, wet hair over the ears, or one of those japanese paper doors.

No way! The CD3k definitely isolates better than that.

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 20
A little trick to R10 listening: simply press the earpieces against the side of your head and release before listening. The pads will spring back, but I think this improves the seal slightly. It also results in improved bass response. The R10 does not provide total isolation, but it does reduce outside sound. If the phone rings in the room I'm listening in, I'll hear it. However, with music playing, I may miss phone calls if the phone rings in the next room (I'll only hear anything in the breaks between songs).

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 20
My R10s are VERY isolated! Been two months(intial ETA) Delayed another two weeks until delivery. No worries have other toys to play with. Was more worried they were going to cancel my order. Phew.

Man it is hot in Japan now, will need to chill the room b4 I am eager to strap on R10 ear muffs.

BTW - my CD3Ks do a decent job of blocking out noise, compared to HD650s. Used them on a recent flight. Very good at minimizing the ambient noise. In more ways then you might think.

Aloha-tk

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 20
I must have had a faulty pair of cd3k. I owned both them and the hd650, and I felt that their difference in isolation was limited to a little muffling. Basically, listening to outside noises with the 650 on was like listening to regular headphones and with the cd3k on, outside noises sounded like they were coming from stock sony buds, ie muddy, no detail, and boomy, but still just as loud. Any time someone would talk I could also hear it resonating in the cups which actually made it more annoying than just hearing the voice clean.

Of course this is a moot point because he is talking about the r10, but I have read that they fit very similar, and I always attributed the lack of isolation to the way the cups almost hung off the ears. Kind of like only closing a door partway.

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
A little trick to R10 listening: simply press the earpieces against the side of your head and release before listening. The pads will spring back, but I think this improves the seal slightly. It also results in improved bass response.

I should try that sometime.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the tip!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back