RØDE NTH-100 (new studio headphones)
May 14, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #61 of 77
Was out today, saw these so grabbed a pair. Very comfy is my initial impression but certainly has veiled treble at stock tuning. Couple of clicks on the Mojo 2 improved the sound immensely for my ears!

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #62 of 77
Fantastic build and comfort with mediocre sound. A bit boxy and compressed with rolled off treble. Bass quality isn't great with slow transient response.

IMO, K371 and DT700 are better options in this bracket.
20220712_135544.jpg
However, I'll keep it in the stable for it's unique look and build quality.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #63 of 77
Fantastic build and comfort with mediocre sound. A bit boxy and compressed with rolled off treble. Bass quality isn't great with slow transient response.

IMO, K371 and DT700 are better options in this bracket.
20220712_135544.jpg
However, I'll keep it in the stable for it's unique look and build quality.
It's kinda interesting that some people really like NTH-100, like Zeos, others don't.
My current and most favourite headphones are hd 560 s, so I wonder if you can compare these guys.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #64 of 77
It's kinda interesting that some people really like NTH-100, like Zeos, others don't.
If that weren't the case, we would all be wearing the same set of cans.
My current and most favourite headphones are hd 560 s, so I wonder if you can compare these guys.
I can't do a direct comparison at the moment as I'm away for CANJAM, but IMO, HD560s overall is a much better buy, despite the issues I have with its upper mid and lower treble emphasis. I think it has better detail retrieval and speed. Nth100, for me, is just too blunted with rolled off treble exacerbated by lower mids bump.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #65 of 77
I wonder if you can compare these guys.
We can compare the HE1 to paper cups on a string, so comparing a closed medium weight metal headphone with a long cable which can attach with a proprietary connector to either cup to an open lightweight plastic headphone with a normal cable which can attach with a proprietary connector to the left cup isn't much of a challenge; however I can't usefully compare the HD 560S to my NTH-100 because I don't have a HD 560S.
While these two headphones have quite a bit in common, they are targeted at and best suited to very different uses which can be broadly described as monitoring for the NTH-100 and private listening for HD 560S. Which best suits your needs would depend much more on those needs than details of their sound reproduction such as which has the sparklier highs needed for properly reproducing your favourite triangle solos or which most accurately represents how well your mic is reproducing a kick drum or the voices of your podcast guests.
I use my NTH-100 for private listening.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #66 of 77
We can compare the HE1 to paper cups on a string, so comparing a closed medium weight metal headphone with a long cable which can attach with a proprietary connector to either cup to an open lightweight plastic headphone with a normal cable which can attach with a proprietary connector to the left cup isn't much of a challenge; however I can't usefully compare the HD 560S to my NTH-100 because I don't have a HD 560S.
While these two headphones have quite a bit in common, they are targeted at and best suited to very different uses which can be broadly described as monitoring for the NTH-100 and private listening for HD 560S. Which best suits your needs would depend much more on those needs than details of their sounds reproduction such as which has the sparklier highs needed for properly reproducing your favourite triangle solos or which most accurately represents how well your mic is reproducing a kick drum or the voices of your podcast guests.
These headphones have hardly anything in common. One is a fairly heavy and robustly built closed back design with blunted treble response and muddy upper bass/lower midrange, the other is a light weight open backed design with reasonable build quality and basically neutral tuning apart from a slight boost in the upper midrange/lower treble. Really, they couldn't be more different.

Sep 15, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #67 of 77
These headphones have hardly anything in common. One is a fairly heavy and robustly built closed back design with blunted treble response and muddy upper bass/lower midrange, the other is a light weight open backed design with reasonable build quality and basically neutral tuning apart from a slight boost in the upper midrange/lower treble. Really, they couldn't be more different.
While these two headphones have quite a bit in common, they are targeted at and best suited to very different uses which can be broadly described as monitoring for the NTH-100 and private listening for HD 560S. Which best suits your needs would depend much more on those needs than details of their sounds reproduction such as which has the sparklier highs needed for properly reproducing your favourite triangle solos or which most accurately represents how well your mic is reproducing a kick drum or the voices of your podcast guests.
Basically I guess I repeated what you said. I owned both headphones around the same time. Sold them both. I really wanted to like the Rodes, but in the end I didn't. The problem with the HD560S is that I already have the HD600. They're very close, but I chose to keep my trusty HD600s and sell the 560S.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #69 of 77
Did anyone try removing the thick foam from underneath the ear cups? I saw a video saying it drastically improved the sound...
@Resolve did and he said there were trade-offs. It did improve the balance in certain areas of the FR at the detriment of others. If I remember correctly, he said to leave the foam as is.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #70 of 77
So, I have been listening to the Rode NTH-100 the past couple days. Just wanted to give first impressions.

The best way I can describe it is that it's a dark, warm sound. While there isn't a whole lot of sub-bass, there is a mid-bass boost around 100Hz or so. It can help with not making it some songs thin, but at the same time, it can be quite boomy. The midrange is okay. It is recessed in the upper mids, which makes instruments hollow at times. The treble sounds linear, smooth and non-fatiguing, albeit recessed. It does roll-off, which will bother those who like an airier, brighter sound. However, it is a welcome change for me, as I find such treble distracting and takes me away from the music at times (even my HD600's).

However, there is a twist to all of this. Weirdly enough, the sound changes drastically when you plug the cable on the right side. The bass is nowhere as boomy, and the midrange comes more forward, but not shouty by any means. Treble is still has that smoothness but sounds more clear more due to the bass being not as prominent. I have no idea why this happens. Maybe with my unit, the wires aren't connected properly on the left side? Anyways, I much prefer the sound here and it sounds more "neutral" and "correct" to my ears.

EDIT: Unfortunately, due to the QC issues, and the blunted presentation, I returned the headphones.

IMG_0592.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #73 of 77
If only Rode fixed either the poorly designed headband clamp or manufactured it with sturdier materials ...
I've read comments under a YouTube video where several people mentioned that issue, but one of them said he'd had no problem for a year with the replacement he'd received, and hypothesized the first batch may have been faulty. I have no idea if that's the case of not, of course. I'll note that the NTH-100 build quality issue has been pervasive enough that RØDE felt the need to address it (erm, sort of) in the FAQ of the NTH-100M:

Q.
Is the NTH-100M build quality better than the original NTH-100?
A.
The headphones component of the NTH-100M is identical to the NTH-100 and features the same rugged build quality, with every component designed to endure the rigours of everyday use. This includes the high-strength spring steel headband with its scratch-resistant coating, highly durable Alcantara® cushions, the locking cable connectors and user-replaceable components.

Attachments

• NTH-100M.PNG
    NTH-100M.PNG
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #74 of 77
Here's the product page.

And here are a few impressions and reviews:

On Head-Fi:
Not on Head-Fi:
(I don't intend to keep updating this list for very long. May you find it in your heart, reader, to forgive me.)
Thanks for the heads-up.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #75 of 77
Just thought it would be worth sharing my experience.

So, I've picked up a pair of these for a crazy price on gumtree unopened. Out of the box I found them feeling a little muffled.

With nothing to lose I pried the foam off behind the ear pads which opened them up a heap.

Playing Zelda on switch with the foam off I noticed that sword clashes etc, were making me wince and that upper mid was a little harsh, so I bust out a little craft felt and cut them to match the original heavy later and placed them in that space and it is pretty much perfect to me.

It now feels intimate but not sterile, now with a decent bite on the leading edge of notes but not harsh. It is also really comfortable and a pleasure all around to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back