Quloos QA390
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #92 of 138
I returned mine. Overpriced and didn’t like the sound quality, but to each their own.
May I ask about the SQ which made you to return? Would you buy/keep it for 1000$

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #93 of 138
I think first he need to tell with which HP and IEMs he tested it?
For me - it is one of the best for IEMs and Planar HP, Dynamic high ohm and low sensitivity (demanding) is not that great - yes a Class A amp or tube will perform better!
BUT - this is not what the inventor had in mind.... - this is PORTABLE unit that can perform as many desktop units and pre-amp.
Well and since the friend here already sold his unit ... there is nothing we can do about it.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #94 of 138
It’s been a number of months so I’ll try.
I know a few people have the QA390 here and they seem to like it, but it just wasn’t worth the cost for me. Here’s what I sent QLS:

In short:
  • Nice unit, nice build quality, controls are okay (a little finicky, but I'm being picky because this costs $1500).
  • Takes some time to burn in, I think, which has smoothed out some of the peaks present in the DAC, but they do still exist in certain places. (Kind of like hearing a square sine wave instead of a normal sine wave - you just know).
  • Amp section is good, but leaves a bit to be desired (see below); similarly, when using the unit solely as a DAC connected to a stereo (quite handy!) for my living room system, it is pretty good, but arguably the $200 Maverick D2 with upgraded sparkos or burson op-amps and tube of your choice will create a more atmospheric and more pleasing, more musical sound, at least with speakers. The XiangSheng DA-05BII even more so. You get the idea. At this price, the unit should stand on its own as a DAC and as a headphone amp, and I'm just not quite sure it lives up to that idea, at this price range. Maybe I am expecting too much, I don't know.
  • Price is too high for what is offered.
  • Small annoyances with no support of ALAC 24bit/96khz via the micro SD card. Actually, that's pretty annoying for something that costs this much, and which boasts SD card support, so let's say that's a huge annoyance.
  • The multiple inputs are welcome. Nicely done - one thing is missing though. RCA inputs. Maybe this isn't something most people want, but if I was to keep this, I'd want to be able to hook up different DACs to the headphone amp section (to bypass the internal DAC), so that I can try out new DACs...that would also increase the longevity of the device.
  • DAC (or amp?) seems to be a little hit or miss - the SQ seems to vary - not sure. This 100% could just be in my head. However, I am unable to open the unit up to determine if it is a thermal issue (QLS stickers cover the bottom screws...sigh...what happened to the right to repair?).
  • I like that I can connect my iphone directly to the QA390 via a firewire -> USB adapter and the device and iphone instantly work when USB is selected.
  • Super easy to put on my desk and listen to music while I work from home. Nice. Remote included is huge, and it's a pretty nice remote. Labels on the remote should be better or more clear (or should allow for some customization.)
  • Love the build quality and the way the unit feels. The internal batteries weren't something I was actively looking for, but I suppose they are a benefit if you want to move the thing from the living room to the bedroom easily, which I appreciate. Can't see myself ever using this on the go, but I know some people might be into that.

Price and comparisons vs. N6ii:
  • I think the price point for the QA390 will make it a little difficult to justify. The Cayin N6ii is in this range, and while not a unit with perhaps the same intent or even comparable to the QA390, the size and connectivity (wifi and google play store) of the N6ii are bonuses.
  • The N6ii's amp section obviously is nowhere near as powerful as the QA390, so the QA390 wins in this regard, for sheer power. But (at least with IEMs), I dunno if the difference is REALLY worth it. The amp sound quality itself...it feels like they prioritized output power over sonic characteristics, and again, I’m just not sure it’s worth it.
  • To me, if you have such a large player like the QA390, you might as well use a desktop amp at that point.
  • If the QA390 was, say...I don't know...under $900USD or so then it would be very competitive. (There are a lot of products now and the market is getting crowded, I think (?), so I truly don't know what a good price would be - just thinking out loud!).
  • Overall for pricing: I like the kind of approach they took with this unit, but the pricing is a bit nuts for what it is and for the minor issues below. Cue the next bullet:

DAC Section (headphone use only - speaker/receiver use is mentioned in the first part above, where I think the QA390 falls slightly short for some reason):
  • Comparing just the DAC section of the QA390 feeding into the RNHP amp, the DAC implementation of the QA390 is pretty good. Is it $1400+ good? I don't think so.
  • Compared to the DAC signal fed from 3 modules of the N6ii (A01/T01/E01) feeding the RNHP vs. the QA390 feeding the RNHP:
    • the QA390's DAC implementation wins for me.
    • So, while this is most likely partially personal taste, the QA390 arguably sounds better when feeding the external headphone amp in this one case. How much better is really the next question...
  • All of this being said...I'm not sure the DAC implementation in the QA390 is that much of an improvement over the N6ii to justify alone.
    • So, for me, I don't know if that difference makes the QA390 worth it, at least at this price. If I didn't have the N6ii, or the RNHP, then the QA390 would be great, I suppose.

Amp Section (unfortunately an overlooked section, I think):
  • But, the amplifier section of the QA390 leaves a little to be desired too.
  • Why? Because the amp section in the QA390 is easily 'overloaded' with complex, detailed music with a lot of things going on. Things start to sound muddled and less clear. This shouldn't happen. Those additional things in the music are there for a reason - switching from the internal HP out on the QA390 to the HP out of the RHNP with the QA390 as the DAC, you can hear EVERYTHING become more separated during these super complex/'busy' portions of music. The difference is very clear.
  • So, the amp section of the QA390 is not quite on the same level as something like the RNHP. Fine, that's a desktop device. Except that device costs $400-500 and is quite tiny but still quite powerful.
    • Hence, why not just use the Cayin N6ii (or a DAC that is $1k if I am going to spend this much money?), connect it to the RNHP, and call it a day when I need to have some extra power at my desk?

Tried all of the above myself, as well as had my girlfriend put on a pair of my IEMs to allow her to compare one night for over an hour. She agreed that the QA390 was pretty good, perhaps a better DAC implementation than the N6ii (didn’t get to try E02 at the time), but the HP amp out of it was a bit touch and go as well in terms of sound quality...and in general, for something that is so headphone focused, the headphone amp output from the QA390 has just left me disappointed.

IIRC there seemed to be some sibilance as well but I may be misremembering.

TLDR; I would like to see a version 2 of this thing with more attention paid to the refinement of the amp circuit (less focus on “look how much power this has”), as well as the DAC implementation and overall control scheme of the thing. The buttons are a bit cumbersome to navigate with.

edit1: tested with Dunu Luna, Dunu DK-4001, Dunu 17th anniversary, and some others, but those were the main ones I remember.

edit2: final part of this long-ass review is that I really dislike the lack of actual product assessment that many YouTube channels seem to be doing...cough cough you know which one(s) I’m talking about...

Hope that helps! To each their own; I am sure someone will come along who is a fan of the unit and provide their perspective too.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #95 of 138
If any one interested im selling my Black one (keeping the RED ) - this unit is with different BT module, not HWA, specially done for my testing.
PM me.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #97 of 138
It’s been a number of months so I’ll try.
I know a few people have the QA390 here and they seem to like it, but it just wasn’t worth the cost for me. Here’s what I sent QLS:

In short:
  • Nice unit, nice build quality, controls are okay (a little finicky, but I'm being picky because this costs $1500). 1400$ :):)
  • Takes some time to burn in, I think, which has smoothed out some of the peaks present in the DAC, but they do still exist in certain places. (Kind of like hearing a square sine wave instead of a normal sine wave - you just know). I've burn it for 200 hours and use WAV files with PURE SW - dont feel those peaks as you are...
  • Amp section is good, but leaves a bit to be desired (see below); similarly, when using the unit solely as a DAC connected to a stereo (quite handy!) for my living room system, it is pretty good, but arguably the $200 Maverick D2 with upgraded sparkos or burson op-amps and tube of your choice will create a more atmospheric and more pleasing, more musical sound, at least with speakers. The XiangSheng DA-05BII even more so. You get the idea. At this price, the unit should stand on its own as a DAC and as a headphone amp, and I'm just not quite sure it lives up to that idea, at this price range. Maybe I am expecting too much, I don't know.
  • This section of Pre should be also burned in and i dont know if you did it - but i did and it affect a lot, i also changed the wires inside to the RCA and also dramatic change. As with every amp that u change the OP it will affect the sound.
  • Price is too high for what is offered. I can argue the same for every AK model :) and with the Cayin N6ii + 2 modules you get the same price.
  • Small annoyances with no support of ALAC 24bit/96khz via the micro SD card. Actually, that's pretty annoying for something that costs this much, and which boasts SD card support, so let's say that's a huge annoyance. Why would this matter? 2 minutes of conversion and.... anyway i use WAV that sound way better with this device and QA361.
  • The multiple inputs are welcome. Nicely done - one thing is missing though. RCA inputs. Maybe this isn't something most people want, but if I was to keep this, I'd want to be able to hook up different DACs to the headphone amp section (to bypass the internal DAC), so that I can try out new DACs...that would also increase the longevity of the device. I wish it could worm up my coffee too :wink: :wink:
  • DAC (or amp?) seems to be a little hit or miss - the SQ seems to vary - not sure. This 100% could just be in my head. However, I am unable to open the unit up to determine if it is a thermal issue (QLS stickers cover the bottom screws...sigh...what happened to the right to repair?). There is nothing to repair... and if so and you need to change the battery (in the far future) the warranty will be long gone...
  • I like that I can connect my iphone directly to the QA390 via a firewire -> USB adapter and the device and iphone instantly work when USB is selected.
  • Super easy to put on my desk and listen to music while I work from home. Nice. Remote included is huge, and it's a pretty nice remote. Labels on the remote should be better or more clear (or should allow for some customization.) The remote is excellent - once you know the buttons you know what to do by memory.
  • Love the build quality and the way the unit feels. The internal batteries weren't something I was actively looking for, but I suppose they are a benefit if you want to move the thing from the living room to the bedroom easily, which I appreciate. Can't see myself ever using this on the go, but I know some people might be into that. Agree :)

Price and comparisons vs. N6ii:
  • I think the price point for the QA390 will make it a little difficult to justify. The Cayin N6ii is in this range, and while not a unit with perhaps the same intent or even comparable to the QA390, the size and connectivity (wifi and google play store) of the N6ii are bonuses. WiFi - just buy the XDuoo XQ-50 pro and you have the best BT module via coax to 390. You cant compare android player and its features to the QA land the same otherwise like complaining that N6 is lacking XLR output...
  • The N6ii's amp section obviously is nowhere near as powerful as the QA390, so the QA390 wins in this regard, for sheer power. But (at least with IEMs), I dunno if the difference is REALLY worth it. The amp sound quality itself...it feels like they prioritized output power over sonic characteristics, and again, I’m just not sure it’s worth it. I tested the QA vs many HQ player (QA in pure WAV) and it simply puts them all hands down, really in all aspects and this was confirmed by all my audiophile friends.
  • To me, if you have such a large player like the QA390, you might as well use a desktop amp at that point. Yes, it is a personal preference and everyone have their own.
  • If the QA390 was, say...I don't know...under $900USD or so then it would be very competitive. (There are a lot of products now and the market is getting crowded, I think (?), so I truly don't know what a good price would be - just thinking out loud!). As a customer im like you - wish that the prices were lower, as a manufacturer (not in Audio) i know exactly where the limitations are and what is the effort "inventions" demand... so that IS the price and taking all the features in hand - it very reasonable. I wonder what the AK SP2000 owners will say about the new Alpha player and its pricing :):)
  • Overall for pricing: I like the kind of approach they took with this unit, but the pricing is a bit nuts for what it is and for the minor issues below. Cue the next bullet:

DAC Section (headphone use only - speaker/receiver use is mentioned in the first part above, where I think the QA390 falls slightly short for some reason):
  • Comparing just the DAC section of the QA390 feeding into the RNHP amp, the DAC implementation of the QA390 is pretty good. Is it $1400+ good? I don't think so. Haha RNHP ... you talked about pricing before.... i've been in contact with RN .... you should see their new rebranded web and pricing.... https://fidelice.com/shop - it is DOUBLE !!
  • Compared to the DAC signal fed from 3 modules of the N6ii (A01/T01/E01) feeding the RNHP vs. the QA390 feeding the RNHP:
    • the QA390's DAC implementation wins for me.
    • So, while this is most likely partially personal taste, the QA390 arguably sounds better when feeding the external headphone amp in this one case. How much better is really the next question...
  • All of this being said...I'm not sure the DAC implementation in the QA390 is that much of an improvement over the N6ii to justify alone.
    • So, for me, I don't know if that difference makes the QA390 worth it, at least at this price. If I didn't have the N6ii, or the RNHP, then the QA390 would be great, I suppose.
      Well this is the thing - if i connect the QA to ZOTL amp it will be a Killer setup (!!) Zotl will sound better than anything and far better than QA HP out for sure. It is all about the convenience and usability - i have a friend here that ordered this unit since he wanted a HQ player near his bed with remote and the QA suited his purpose like a glove.

Amp Section (unfortunately an overlooked section, I think):
  • But, the amplifier section of the QA390 leaves a little to be desired too.
  • Why? Because the amp section in the QA390 is easily 'overloaded' with complex, detailed music with a lot of things going on. Things start to sound muddled and less clear. This shouldn't happen. Those additional things in the music are there for a reason - switching from the internal HP out on the QA390 to the HP out of the RHNP with the QA390 as the DAC, you can hear EVERYTHING become more separated during these super complex/'busy' portions of music. The difference is very clear.
  • So, the amp section of the QA390 is not quite on the same level as something like the RNHP. Fine, that's a desktop device. Except that device costs $400-500 and is quite tiny but still quite powerful.
    • Hence, why not just use the Cayin N6ii (or a DAC that is $1k if I am going to spend this much money?), connect it to the RNHP, and call it a day when I need to have some extra power at my desk?
      YES - i agree with you on that ,RNHP is a great amp, period, but also XDuoo TA-20 is great sounding and it IS sound better than QA HP out - again this is portable amplification. For you the added value of Pure WAV player is minimized - for me , it is like CD transport on wheels :) , i even took the QA for picnics... or use it in my car via AUX or listen with my daughter to music together (same 2 HP) - as a portable unit and the extra features and Pure WAV (CD transport) .... i could not ask for more even with the price tag.
    • YES - the only thing i would have add is - swappable OP amps and the main screen lifting to vertical position !

Tried all of the above myself, as well as had my girlfriend put on a pair of my IEMs to allow her to compare one night for over an hour. She agreed that the QA390 was pretty good, perhaps a better DAC implementation than the N6ii (didn’t get to try E02 at the time), but the HP amp out of it was a bit touch and go as well in terms of sound quality...and in general, for something that is so headphone focused, the headphone amp output from the QA390 has just left me disappointed.

IIRC there seemed to be some sibilance as well but I may be misremembering. Zero sibilance.

TLDR; I would like to see a version 2 of this thing with more attention paid to the refinement of the amp circuit (less focus on “look how much power this has”), as well as the DAC implementation and overall control scheme of the thing. The buttons are a bit cumbersome to navigate with.
First , i want to thank you for the long review !! really, to write like this for me will take days.... since ENG is not my native so i need to check every word 3 time. So it was easier for me to respond to what you wrote.
Second, my remarks are in NO way disrespect to your conclusions. I accept in full your different opinion :)

edit1: tested with Dunu Luna, Dunu DK-4001, Dunu 17th anniversary, and some others, but those were the main ones I remember.

edit2: final part of this long-ass review is that I really dislike the lack of actual product assessment that many YouTube channels seem to be doing...cough cough you know which one(s) I’m talking about...

Hope that helps! To each their own; I am sure someone will come along who is a fan of the unit and provide their perspective too.
Many THX !!!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #99 of 138
Just received mine. Looks gorgeous, the build quality is awesome. And it's heavy, a bit more than what I imagined.

IMG_20201002_194237.jpg

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #100 of 138
Just received mine. Looks gorgeous, the build quality is awesome. And it's heavy, a bit more than what I imagined.

IMG_20201002_194237.jpg
How is the SQ?

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #101 of 138
A bit early for that, I just switched it on :).

For the moment I try it with iems. One thing is for sure it's very very powerful.
I've put the gain and amp voltage on medium position and I can't go higher than 35, knowing that the security limit is set at 100...
No background noise with gain on low or medium position, that's also a good point

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #104 of 138
A bit early for that, I just switched it on :).

For the moment I try it with iems. One thing is for sure it's very very powerful.
I've put the gain and amp voltage on medium position and I can't go higher than 35, knowing that the security limit is set at 100...
No background noise with gain on low or medium position, that's also a good point
Good. Give us you impressions :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back