Quiet Comp builders: Post your builds!
Feb 6, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #61 of 84
This seems a bit pointless, if your gonna build a machine like that you may as well just put it in the basement with a sqeezebox.. absolutely no noise whatsoever. if it blows up in a cloud of smoke you'll be lucky to hear it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
I'm a little suprised nobody has gone properly noiseless?

I've got a system part built, so far :

Passive P3 1ghz
786mb PC133 (vrrm!)
DC-DC PSU (no fans)
Emu 0404 with 75r BNC for Spdif
20gb 5400rpm laptop drive
Generic mini atx case and dvdrom

I'm currently planning the best way to go diskless, the expensive way is compact flash to IDE, maybe network booting via gigabit lan, usb stick...

Almost have no noise at all! No matter how well encased you can still hear a laptop drive, I'm being fussy but its going to be moving partless!
k1000smile.gif

Once I'm over my current audio projects ($!) I'm going to replicate the rig with a Pentium M so it can be a HDTV media centre.

My main rig is the usual high power P4@3.8, noisy GFX and 15k scsi drives - sounds like a turbine
basshead.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #62 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
Ouch, $50+ for the ones that cover the whole thing, and $20+ for the ones that do the sides. Considering that I am low on hard drive space as it is, probably makes more sense to pick up a big and quiet SATA hard drive and be done with it. Reccomendatoions?

I do agree it is a bit extreme for that kind of money and not really needed when you have a more or less quiet hard drive unless you desire absolute silence..

I got a seagate 160gb enclosed in a smart drive 2002 and find it to be perfect for me and an improvement over leaving the drive bare.It all depends on how quiet and how much to spend.

Now i got to get a second one for my maxtor
eek.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #63 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I'm glad it's been useful. Personally the main things to worry about are PSU, Heatsink fan and case fans. The rest makes noise, but not as much.

what I am really looking for is a 80mm fan which is quiet ans offers good cooling.

It's for the case 80mm optional fan part of the case.

I am currently looking at this fan. Please let me know what you think

http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english...ak_182_l2b.htm

Or if you have other options which provide just as much cooling which doesn't make as much noise as above then would be great as well. Thanks

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #64 of 84
I almost bought an aska fan for my computer until I discovered it was too hard to get in the states. From the looks of It thats the 80mm version of the 120 one I was looking at. I would go for it. From the (extensive? Exhaustive?) research I did it looks like a fine choice.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #65 of 84
Quote:

I almost bought an aska fan for my computer until I discovered it was too hard to get in the states. From the looks of It thats the 80mm version of the 120 one I was looking at. I would go for it. From the (extensive? Exhaustive?) research I did it looks like a fine choice.

I am replacing all of the cases 120mm fans with the akasa 120mm fans and dumping a few extra for extra cooling as well. Do you need any? I could help you get them if you like?

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #66 of 84
Thats an incredible offer, when are you ordering them? I think I want one for comparison against the one I'm using (that and they look so pretty!). Thanks,

-Slep

Feb 6, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #67 of 84
Feb 6, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
I do agree it is a bit extreme for that kind of money and not really needed when you have a more or less quiet hard drive unless you desire absolute silence..

I got a seagate 160gb enclosed in a smart drive 2002 and find it to be perfect for me and an improvement over leaving the drive bare.It all depends on how quiet and how much to spend.

Now i got to get a second one for my maxtor
eek.gif

my 160gb Seagate Barracuda drove me nuts with its high pitched whine that it seemed to give off perpetually, seeking and idle. So, took out out and put it into my other computer, and put my quiet Western Digital back into my main rig.

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #69 of 84
going to be a year old this coming presidents day weekend:

2.8ghz prescott (oc'd to 3.43)
zalzman 7700 120mm
abit aa8xe
evga 6600gt pci-e
creative audigy 2
frown.gif

1gb ddr2
2x80gb sata
1x300gb sata2

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #70 of 84
Here's my setup. My goal has been to build a very quiet but still powerful computer which runs the newest games also.
  1. Asus A8N-E
  2. AMD64 3000+ /w Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
  3. ATI Radeon X800GTO /w Zalman VF700-Cu (modded to X800XT)
  4. 2x512MB DDR400 (Kingston)
  5. BeQuiet! P5-370w PSU (super silent)
  6. 2x250Gb Samsung P120 SATA (Samsung makes the most quiet HD's)
  7. ESI Juli@ soundcard

My case is Antec Sonata Piano Black. As I wrote above I've changed the original PSU and I've also changed the original 120mm case fan to 12dB Papst fan.

It's very quiet setup. My only problem recently have been the resonance which my HD's are making every now and then.

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #71 of 84
thought i would add my 2 cents, as i went a different route than many of you...

via epia-sp13000 in a serener fanless mini-itx case.
40gb samsung 2.5" hdd soft-mounted in case with sorborthane pads.
eSATA fanless hdd enclosure with 250gb samsung.

the serener case is awesome - it does a great job getting rid of heat through the fins on the sides. looks sweet, too. this pc is dedicated to playing music (it is stacked with my stereo components), so the via processor is plenty good. i control foobar2000 using "remote desktop" in windows xp pro... works like a charm over 802.11g lan.

also of note is the epia chipset's built-in sata RAID0. it will be easy to add another 250gb externally to have a nice 500gb volume.

serener GD-L01 ... http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/374

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Thats an incredible offer, when are you ordering them? I think I want one for comparison against the one I'm using (that and they look so pretty!). Thanks,

-Slep

I have three at my house at the moment. But the post below after yours I quoted might be worth taking into consideration.

If you still want to proceed PM your address.

WOOT! all my bits arrived today. Looks like we are in business
rs1smile.gif

But then I have to build it and I know jack about building PC's.

Quick question, I bought a Artic cooling replacement HSF for my 7800gt. Does that need thermal paste like the cpu>heatsink?

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #73 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Quick question, I bought a Artic cooling replacement HSF for my 7800gt. Does that need thermal paste like the cpu>heatsink?

Yep, and it's best to use a non-conductive paste such as Arctic Silver 5/Ceramique. The AC coolers usually come with a paste that's definately good enough, and is also non-conductive.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Yep, and it's best to use a non-conductive paste such as Arctic Silver 5/Ceramique. The AC coolers usually come with a paste that's definately good enough, and is also non-conductive.

I have the AC5 for the cpu>heatsink but I don't think any came with my replacement HSF
mad.gif

Is one tube enough? for both the cpu and the gfx card?

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #75 of 84
More than enough. A little goes a long way, be sure to check out some guides to paste applying. I use the spread method, I use a fresh razor blade to evenly coat the core with the least amount of paste possible. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, and by removing the stock video card HSF, you usually void the warranty (unless you have a XFX).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back