Quiet Comp builders: Post your builds!
Feb 7, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #76 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
More than enough. A little goes a long way, be sure to check out some guides to paste applying. I use the spread method, I use a fresh razor blade to evenly coat the core with the least amount of paste possible. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, and by removing the stock video card HSF, you usually void the warranty (unless you have a XFX).

I didn't know about removing the hsf stock you void the warranty. Might have to reconsider. How noisy is the 7800 stock hsf.....

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #77 of 84
got my new fans today, wow they're really quiet, like a gentle breeze...
is it better to have them blow air in or out of the case?

edit: nvm, blowing out is best...

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #78 of 84
Just a bit about hs mounting, I would check out the articsilver site. I put a dot in the center and then atach the heatsink and let its weigher flatten out the paste over time.

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #79 of 84
All of my computers are pretty quiet. The loudest being my server which is tucked away in a closet.

The quietest is ironically my fastest.

A64 3500+ S939
Thermalright XP120
Asus A8V Deluxe
3GB RAM
Matrox P650 (used to be an X800 XT PE, but no longer needed as it's a 2D graphics workstation now.)
Ahanix D.Vine 4 Case
Antec Phantom 350
Papst 120mm Fans (x2) with NoiseMagic Fan Thermo-controllers
Seagate Barracuda V 120GB
SmartDrive 2002
LiteOn DVD-rom Drive
On Board Audio (I don't use this computer for music.
wink.gif
)

Some custom ducting work, and cutting a fan hole underneath.
Edwood_HTPC_mk2_11DuctV2.jpg

Edwood_HTPC_mk2_04SuckHole.jpg

Edwood_HTPC_mk2_14VM101.jpg

-Ed

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #80 of 84
Wow, I really like the ducting work. *Thinks about how to incorporate it into his own machine*

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #81 of 84
Excellent advice guys!

I just bought a new system:

AMD X2 4400+
2x 1 GB Kingston Ram
Asus A8N SLI Premium
Asus 6800GT Ultra
LG DVD-RAM drive
2x WD 200 GB IDEs
2x Maxtor 200 GB SATAs
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
Antec P180 case

I have the stock fans from the P180, but I need to improve on them, get a fan for the top of my case, one for the IDE drives in the external bay and then I need to swap out the loudish heatsink/fan on my cpu for something much better maybe that Thermalright XP-120 and then something for my video card which is by far the noisiest part of my system. I went for cool over quiet as when listening to music, the system is pretty quiet and I can't hear much. I used to own a jet turbine known as the Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 GHz and well, after coming off of that beast, anything is quiet
smily_headphones1.gif

GoRedWings19 has suggested an option for the GPU. But first, maybe I shoudl look into some 120 mm fans for the case to get things even cooler. Right now idle temp...27C baby! Gotta love it. Course the GPU is at 57
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #82 of 84
This thread has been great. Can't believe the huge difference a new psu and fans can make. My computer was louder than the construction crew outside, now its near dead silent.
eek.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #84 of 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back