Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Jun 29, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #181 of 1,017
I feel guilty that this thread has gone quiet for so long. Here I am enjoying my Quicksilver on a daily basis and keeping it all to myself.

I have been very impressed with the amp in combination with my Bifrost 2 and Verite Closed. Not that it was necessary, but I “upgraded” the stock tubes. I’ve got EI 6BQ5’s and Gold Lion 12AX7’s in there presently, and now that it’s settled in the sound is fantastic. It has really smoothed out after a week or so, and I don’t feel the need to roll any more tubes at the moment. Can’t say I won’t try some NOS options if I find a good deal on a pair in the future.

I guess I would describe the sound as clean, dynamic and smooth all at once. It’s very clear without sounding etched in any way. I had a few issues with the treble being a little sharp when I rolled in the new tubes, but that went away after a few days. Right now everything sounds phenomenal!

I keep meaning to compare the Quicksilver to my SW51+, but I can’t bring myself to plug it in. I’m liking the Quicksilver too much at the moment to change anything!
I wonder how the quicksilver compares with the

ZMF Pendant SE​

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #182 of 1,017
I wonder how the quicksilver compares with the

ZMF Pendant SE​

Not sure, but I would like to think the Quicksilver can hang with anything in the $1000-2500 range. This is of course based on no testing on my part, just hearsay. I know I'm not the only one that would love to hear a comparison between the Quicksilver and the Pendant (OG or SE).

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #183 of 1,017
I don't have much to add either. I'm just sitting and listening. Smooth, balanced, natural. My setup has an uncanny ability to make me "feel" an acoustic bass drum hit. There was a hint of that before the Quicksilver. Now it is just there, where it belongs. Keep enjoying

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #185 of 1,017
Like I’ve mentioned before, I’m new to tube amps. I have a simple question regarding my Quicksilver. Which tubes affect the sound more, the input or output? I’m considering getting some NOS Mullard CV4004/12AX7 from Upscale Audio to go alongside my EI 6BQ5 output tubes. Will this make a bigger difference than switching out the EI’s for NOS tubes?

I have the Gold Lion 12AX7’s in the amp currently, and they sound great already in my opinion. I’m just wondering if the NOS Mullards will take things to the next level.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #186 of 1,017
Dropping by to contribute some to this quiet thread.

One thing that stands out to me with this amp is bass really slams with it but without things sounding bloated. Nice and punchy and fast sounding.

I bought a couple tubes to try out. I'll probably swing by with tube impressions periodically. Right now I have nothing fancy but some current production "upgrades".

EL84 Genalex Gold Lion --this tube sound fine but is a little too mid-forward/etched for my taste. The stock JJ EL84 is better IMO.

JJ ECC803 S -- this tube sounds better than the stock chinese 12AX7. It's just a bit smoother and more rich in the midrange.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #189 of 1,017
Try as I might, I couldn’t resist some more tube-rolling and bought a couple vintage 12AX7 tubes to try in the Quicksilver. I’ve got Amperex (made in Holland) and Tungsram (made in Hungary) tubes on the way.

I’m going to stick with the Ei 6BQ5 for now to avoid changing too many variables at once, though I was pretty close to buying 4 Siemens branded Tungsram EL84’s on eBay today. I showed the tiniest bit of self control.

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #190 of 1,017
Try as I might, I couldn’t resist some more tube-rolling and bought a couple vintage 12AX7 tubes to try in the Quicksilver. I’ve got Amperex (made in Holland) and Tungsram (made in Hungary) tubes on the way.

I’m going to stick with the Ei 6BQ5 for now to avoid changing too many variables at once, though I was pretty close to buying 4 Siemens branded Tungsram EL84’s on eBay today. I showed the tiniest bit of self control.
Can this amp drive power hungry HPs like ABYSS TC or SUSVARA ??

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #191 of 1,017
Can this amp drive power hungry HPs like ABYSS TC or SUSVARA ??
Hardest to drive headphones I own are Mod House Argons, and the Quicksilver has no trouble with them. I’m not sure about the two you mentioned though, sorry.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #193 of 1,017
My quickie is being run with
Tung-Sol Driver tubes and the Gold plated Tung-Sol 12AX7. All matched from upscale audio - Platinum grade. I will probably stop here as the NOS prices seem crazy to me. Over the stock tubes these were more neutral, detailed with a bigger sound stage.

I have wanted to get into DIY and moding for a long time. After hearing the QS I decided if I wanted something better I would have to spend 2x and I am not really sold that I may get overall better performance boost spending 2k and above. So I decided to upgrade the coupling caps with Jupiter Copper Wax caps. This further expanded soundstage esp layering and added some more details. They don't have much time in the QS so I still may see some additional gains as they fully break in.

I also just bought a TKD Volume pot which I will install.

I am doing this mostly for fun. I was happy with the QS in stock format. I am just at the point where if I am going to have two or three good amps I would rather learn more about the hobby and learn then just keep spending.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #194 of 1,017
Have any of you QHA owners put 7189 tubes in place of the stock EL84’s? From everything I’m reading, you should be able to use a 7189 in any EL84 application but not the other way around. 7189 tubes are rated to handle a higher plate voltage (400v) than the EL84 (300v).

Reason I ask is because I bought a rather large assortment of EL84 tubes from someone, and it included about 6 Telefunken 7189’s. I’d like to try them in the Quicksilver, but I thought I’d run it by you guys first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back