Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Apr 10, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #541 of 1,017
Opinion respected!
I worked a lot on the WA6 and the WA3. You can see it in the archives. Also notice that the term for the PS is pseudo dual PS for the Woo. I implemented that and coined it for the Woo and they liked it enough to use the topology in a few Woo amps.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #542 of 1,017
I should correct myself. Regarding hum, when induced by the transformer, an off board PS will then reduce or eliminate it, if that is the issue. It would be nice to see the QS with a separate PS as it would only need an umbilical and the transformer housing.

Apr 11, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #543 of 1,017
I should correct myself. Regarding hum, when induced by the transformer, an off board PS will then reduce or eliminate it, if that is the issue. It would be nice to see the QS with a separate PS as it would only need an umbilical and the transformer housing.
Just like the Linear Tube Audio MZ3.👍

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #544 of 1,017
The other day I decided to try these coupling caps in the QS. The stock caps are fine and a good value but I like these caps and what they do, or don't do by getting out of the way of the music. These are large for a 0.1uf cap but so very, very nice: Duelund 0.1uF 630Vdc CAST-PIO-Sn/Cu Tinned Copper Foil Capacitor.

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #546 of 1,017
This AM around 9 here, hum that was noticeable. About 45 minutes later, I heard some on a song but it was the background tape noise then checked for hum and it was so low as to barely audible with very sensitive headphones. It was hum, interference on the AC line, even with the AC purifier I used, junk on the line that is hard to clear up. Can't blame the QS and the raw and powerful open sound of the QS is extremely enjoyable. On live recording, it is ah inspiring and extremely realistic!

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #548 of 1,017
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #550 of 1,017
As a point of reference, I’ve had my Quicksilver for about a year and have never heard an audible hum from the amp or through the headphones. It’s been dead-silent since day 1 no matter what tubes I have in it.

Disclaimer, I’ve only used various 300ohm ZMF’s with my Quicksilver.
No hum using bone stock Quicksilver HPA with either HD650 or ZMF Aeolus. Have over 250 hours in past 3 months since new.

The only noise issue encountered was my new headphone cable running across my MacBook Air, as a clicking sound would get picked up through the headphone cable. Swung the cable off the PC and all's good. Same issue when the cable ran over the top of my cable modem. I'm speculating the ground side of the cable picked up electromagnetic interference and sent it back through the amp.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #551 of 1,017
No hum using bone stock Quicksilver HPA with either HD650 or ZMF Aeolus. Have over 250 hours in past 3 months since new.

The only noise issue encountered was my new headphone cable running across my MacBook Air, as a clicking sound would get picked up through the headphone cable. Swung the cable off the PC and all's good. Same issue when the cable ran over the top of my cable modem. I'm speculating the ground side of the cable picked up electromagnetic interference and sent it back through the amp.
I think this is the norm. I am not one to be a sychophant based on the opinions of others. The unit I got buzzed from the get go and was told on here and the maker it was normal. The buzzing finally became extremely loud. I knew something was wrong and found out that companies will say anything but in actual dealings you have to be careful. SO I guess if someone can convince you a defective unit is doing great by all means keep it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #552 of 1,017
I think this is the norm. I am not one to be a sychophant based on the opinions of others. The unit I got buzzed from the get go and was told on here and the maker it was normal. The buzzing finally became extremely loud. I knew something was wrong and found out that companies will say anything but in actual dealings you have to be careful. SO I guess if someone can convince you a defective unit is doing great by all means keep it.
No, there may be a very small hum with sensitive phones and with mine, there is a little and sometimes none, depending upon the AC, even though I use a line purifier. But a loud buzz or buzzing is not normal. On both channels or one? If both, most likely the main cap has an issue.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #554 of 1,017
You bring up a number of good points. Like a lot of hobbies or special interests there is a level of "fanboy" excitement which occurs. Everybody wants to have made a smart purchase. I stepped into it over on the McIntosh MHA-200 thread regarding that stupid volume control on the amp which has 80% of its volume range in 20% of the knob's rotation. Barely touch it and get an extra 10-15db volume blast. The priesthood and disciples snapped back with a range of excuses for a clearly fully product.

I went back and pulled out a sensitive set of headphones to retest the Quicksilver. I was able to hear a hum. Depending on co-location with other equipment the background noise floor would improve or worsen. It was not unlike most tube gear I've owned or still own. Some 60hz hum or buzz in the background is pretty normal.

Switching over to my solid-state WHAMMY HPA, the contrast became very stark. The Whammy was dead silent and the background jet black. I mean you likely cannot tell if the headphones are plugged in or not on a blind test.

Being honest with myself and comparing a great solid-state HPA to the Quicksilver, there is hum. I was probably just used to it or mentally cancelled it out as pretty normal for a tube set-up.

If any music is playing, even silence in a quiet passage there is no audible hum. With regard to the buzzing, have you tried switching the tubes from left to right? Interesting to know if the artifact changes with channels with the tube swap. Tells a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back