Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #526 of 1,017
If you are hearing hum around the unit (NOT through headphones), that could be DC contamination in the AC lines, causing transformer hum with some components. It can vary with time of day, other appliances, etc. I have a PS Audio Humbuster that completely eliminates it. I think iFi has one too. These devices do nothing for ground loop or other issues that show up through the headphones, however.

If you’re messaging QS, that’s a good idea.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #528 of 1,017
Up for sale now , not mine

The amp definitely gained in areas of bass extension, speed, and dynamics. It also improved in spaciousness, transparency, and detail over the stock configuration. When the amp was returned from the modifier it had acquired a very slight 60Hz hum not there before that I could not completely remove. It can only be heard during extremely quiet passages or no music at all, like a slight warmth, which did not bother me but just wanted to be completely forthcoming. I kept the stock ALPS volume control as it had good channel balance throughout the range in which I used it.

But same thing

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #529 of 1,017

The amp definitely gained in areas of bass extension, speed, and dynamics. It also improved in spaciousness, transparency, and detail over the stock configuration. When the amp was returned from the modifier it had acquired a very slight 60Hz hum not there before that I could not completely remove. It can only be heard during extremely quiet passages or no music at all, like a slight warmth, which did not bother me but just wanted to be completely forthcoming. I kept the stock ALPS volume control as it had good channel balance throughout the range in which I used it.

But same thing
So it was modified and then you got the hum/buzzing. Seems that is the issue not the amp, but the modification.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #530 of 1,017

But same thing
Did you get your QS modified or are you just experiencing the same thing as the modified QS on sale?

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #531 of 1,017
As a point of reference, I’ve had my Quicksilver for about a year and have never heard an audible hum from the amp or through the headphones. It’s been dead-silent since day 1 no matter what tubes I have in it.

Disclaimer, I’ve only used various 300ohm ZMF’s with my Quicksilver.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #532 of 1,017
As a point of reference, I’ve had my Quicksilver for well over a year and have never heard an audible hum from the amp or through the headphones. It’s been dead-silent since day 1 no matter what tubes I have in it.

The higher ohm headphones help. I use mostly the Utopia and the iBasso SR2 and they pick up a lot but I have no issues.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #534 of 1,017
As a point of reference, I’ve had my Quicksilver for about a year and have never heard an audible hum from the amp or through the headphones. It’s been dead-silent since day 1 no matter what tubes I have in it.

That was my experience as well, and I used mostly my easier-to-drive Focal Utopia headphones....

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #536 of 1,017
I have a Utopia as well and do here a low-level hum. I thought it was normal with this amp. Is it not?

FYI, I do have sensitive ears. Usually if there's a low-level noise like hiss with a pairing, I am one to hear it.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #537 of 1,017
I have a Utopia as well and do here a low-level hum. I thought it was normal with this amp. Is it not?

FYI, I do have sensitive ears. Usually if there's a low-level noise like hiss with a pairing, I am one to hear it.
Yes, a low level is normal. These are tubes after all. If you kill all the hum, you often also kill the sound.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #538 of 1,017
Yes, a low level is normal. These are tubes after all. If you kill all the hum, you often also kill the sound.
I will say that with the output transformer coupled Woo WA6 and Woo WA6SE (both with tube rectification), I have no hum issues. Same thing with the output transformer less Woo WA2 (tube rectification) and Woo WA3 (ss rectification).

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #539 of 1,017
I will say that with the output transformer coupled Woo WA6 and Woo WA6SE (both with tube rectification), I have no hum issues. Same thing with the output transformer less Woo WA2 (tube rectification) and Woo WA3 (ss rectification).
And they don't sound quite as good or natural as the QS. IMO

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #540 of 1,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back