Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier any opinions?
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #31 of 1,017
Ironically I’m not a huge fan of the cross feed. It’s an incredible DAC though. I run the Quicksilver from my Conrad Johnson’s Tape Out so all sources go to it.

I’ve always been a “purist’ so to speak, but I’ll admit there are some sources that could benefit from EQ

I’ve used the EQ and tone a little but at normal volumes I run it flat and it sounds awesome At lower volumes the Loudness contour is the best I have ever heard. It is adjustable in that you can adjust where it takes effect. The contour tapers off as the volume increases above the preset dB level to a point where it does not affect the output

Another cool thing is that you can adjust the dB trim of the contour. Out of the box it is set to +7 Bass and Treble. For me + 5 was better. It sounds great at night and at lower volumes. I replaced a NAD M51 which was great but no front panel volume. 7 years old, remote sucked. The RME remote is awesome. Can be reconfigured for your favorite features. It’s a great DAC and probably better than many “audiophile DACs at twice the price.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #32 of 1,017
Hah- I’m the same way, I don’t typically EQ stuff if I can. Those are some great options though.

I’ve got a Cayin N6ii serving as the DAC at the moment and I wonder how much better the RME would be with this now.

PS tube rolling in this amp is fun as hell. : ). Don’t do it. I’ve gone to the dark side (as a friend used to put it!). The stock tubes are pretty good considering.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #33 of 1,017
anyone use with kennerton headphones like Planars (Wodan or Thekk) or GH50 or Sen HD600? wondering

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 1,017
Awesome amp, indeed !

Mine hasn't found an appropriate home yet. I was so anxious to hear it the day I received it I came home on my lunch break, parked it on top of the Threshold Stasis amp I was about to swap it out of my system for the Music Reference. I plugged it and turned it on. It's been on ever since (weeks) and hasn't moved. It is just such a joy to listen to !

For me it's dead silent with headphones of any impedance.

homeaudiomess,jpg.jpg

Stumbled over this thread months after the fact...very interested in the QS headphone amp. Has anyone here heard hum from this at any point in the volume pot/dial?

Also noticing your very pretty Music Reference amp. How old is that one?

I still have 2 in storage: both have the same # of tubes though slightly different layout (RM-9 model). I paid Roger to mod each amp by adding a triode/pentode switch at the base of each power tube. You haven't lived 'til you've heard an RM-9 w/all triode EL-34s!

(viva tube amps!)

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 1,017
Stumbled over this thread months after the fact...very interested in the QS headphone amp. Has anyone here heard hum from this at any point in the volume pot/dial?

Also noticing your very pretty Music Reference amp. How old is that one?

I still have 2 in storage: both have the same # of tubes though slightly different layout (RM-9 model). I paid Roger to mod each amp by adding a triode/pentode switch at the base of each power tube. You haven't lived 'til you've heard an RM-9 w/all triode EL-34s!

(viva tube amps!)
My Quicksilver HP amp has remained dead quiet as it reaches it's first birthday.

The RM-9 in that photo is an original Mk-1 that Roger went through and upgraded to 'better than a MK-2' in his words. He personally went through many RAM KT-88s to pick the set that's in it. He said when he finished it that it was as good as any RM-9 could sound, to his ears. I have listened to a MK-2 with EL-34s in Triode glory. I have an original RM-10 that he gave some serious attention to as well. He was an amazing designer and a hell of a nice guy. I feel very fortunate to be able to enjoy his amps.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #36 of 1,017
Anyone tried a ZMF headphone with this amp? I’ve got a set of Verite Closed heading my way soon, and I have been considering my first tube amp purchase. I was looking at the Feliks Audio Echo and the Liquid Platinum, but this Quicksilver amp looks really nice. I’m just wondering how it compares to all the other options.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #37 of 1,017
I have listened to the Vérité but not with the Quicksilver amp. However when I was listening to the Vérité I was comparing them to my Utopias and HD800s using the Pathos and Benchmark HP amps. I think the Vérité would sound outstanding with the Quicksilver. It has plenty of power, more than you'll ever use, and is more open and dynamic than the Feliks and Liquid Platinum, IMHO.

4amps.jpg

benchmark_system.jpg

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #38 of 1,017
@KC2020 Thank you for the info. Most of the ZMF folks recommend going with an OTL, but I know people love the Pendant as well, and it's a transformer-coupled design like the Quicksilver. I haven't read a single negative thing about the QHA, which is a little alarming in and of itself. No piece of equipment is perfect, so if you had to find a flaw, what would it be?

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #39 of 1,017
I have listened to the Vérité but not with the Quicksilver amp. However when I was listening to the Vérité I was comparing them to my Utopias and HD800s using the Pathos and Benchmark HP amps. I think the Vérité would sound outstanding with the Quicksilver. It has plenty of power, more than you'll ever use, and is more open and dynamic than the Feliks and Liquid Platinum, IMHO.

4amps.jpg

benchmark_system.jpg

I'm very interested in this amp--and appreciate your comments here about it.

You have some killer gear in these photos...apparently you've heard not just good sound from this amp, but comparatively good sound from it on known headphones (all good IMO).

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #40 of 1,017
Indeed, he has some very high-end gear in that picture. That speaks even more highly of the QHA if it's "great" in that company.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #41 of 1,017
@KC2020 Thank you for the info. Most of the ZMF folks recommend going with an OTL, but I know people love the Pendant as well, and it's a transformer-coupled design like the Quicksilver. I haven't read a single negative thing about the QHA, which is a little alarming in and of itself. No piece of equipment is perfect, so if you had to find a flaw, what would it be

My top headphones are ZMF Aeolus, silkwood VO, and Ori. I have a modest but nice-sounding OTL (Woo WA3) and know how OTLs bring something special to bear on a high impedance HP (namely, an ideal impedance match).

But transformer-coupled tube amps have distinct sonic traits & strengths. Last year when I was borrowing @jinxy245's Aeolus for weeks at a time, I heard it with the big transformer-coupled Woo WA22, which I had for 3 or 4 months. In some ways that was the most elevated & special sound I ever got on the Aeolus, which I'm happy to say likes every amp I've tried it on.

It's that kind of synergy I would be hoping for w/the Quicksilver. I'm encouraged by a couple other factors:
  1. Mike Sanders & Quicksilver Audio have been around a long time. I've heard good things about various Quicksilver tube amps since the mid-80s.
  2. I read scattered user comments about this headphone amp, saying it has above average bass & dynamics--significant to me because some tube amps, even very expensive ones, fall behind high quality SS amps in those areas.
If I get this amp, job #1 will be to compare it to my best & favorite SS amp, the V281. Every headphone I've owned or borrowed has sounded very good on that amp...

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 1,017
I'm very interested in this amp--and appreciate your comments here about it.

You have some killer gear in these photos...apparently you've heard not just good sound from this amp, but comparatively good sound from it on known headphones (all good IMO).

I like that small foot print ....what tubes does this use ?

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #43 of 1,017
2-12AX7 input
2-6BQ5 / EL84 output

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #44 of 1,017
@Pharmaboy If you do bite the bullet and purchase the QHA, I’d love to hear your impressions of it. I have considered tracking down a Woo Audio WA3 based on your high praise of it with the various ZMF’s you have tried it with.

I actually sold my Aeolus so I’d have the funds for a Verite Closed during ZMF November. I know I’ll probably regret that one day! I’ve never owned or even demoed a tube-based headphone amp. I’d like to make an informed choice when I buy my first. I feel like the VC warrants something really nice.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #45 of 1,017
@Pharmaboy If you do bite the bullet and purchase the QHA, I’d love to hear your impressions of it. I have considered tracking down a Woo Audio WA3 based on your high praise of it with the various ZMF’s you have tried it with.

I actually sold my Aeolus so I’d have the funds for a Verite Closed during ZMF November. I know I’ll probably regret that one day! I’ve never owned or even demoed a tube-based headphone amp. I’d like to make an informed choice when I buy my first. I feel like the VC warrants something really nice.

Sold your Aeolus? Yes, you'll regret that one day! Not because the VC is deficient in any way (on the contrary--it's amazing). But because the Aeolus is so good in its own right (my 2 cents).

I'm still thinking about the QS amp. Owning a big tube amp (this one's big in power, if not as much in footprint) is kind of like owning a big dog: it comes with responsibilities. When it works out, you scale new sonic heights.

I might have to chase down & fix a ground loop that has plagued my main desktop system for a couple years. Have one more tactic to try (it's a PITA, so I've been putting it off). Let's just say that making sure there are no ground loops is one of those responsibilities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back