Quick! V6 or 495?
Dec 17, 2001 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Howie

100+ Head-Fier
Need to make a quick decision. Which are better cans in general? Sony V6 or Senn HD495? I know the V6 is better when plugged into MDs and discmans and stuff but which is better overall? I like the fact that Sony V6s don't need an amp but I like 495's looks much better. Need to buy soon so please help me quick.

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 28
arnt they totally different?

like the 495 is super aural and the v6 is circamural...

and then the 495 is open while the v6 is closed...

so i guess the question to ask is do u want superaural/circamural and open or closed?

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 28
i dunno for sure, since i have never tried either... but i believe they are about the same in sound quality.... so i guess get whatever u like better and is cheaper

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 28
the v6 is more versatile. you can plug em into anything and get good sound.

soundquality should be pretty much on par (when both used in a good environment). the 495 probably has the Senn-sound (laid back, little impact, smooth) while the V6 is more forward.

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 28
Which are better? I won't answer that. It depends what you are looking for. I'd say the V6 sound is more accurate and the 495 sound is more relaxing.

If you need cans for portable use, go with the V6. End of story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 28
Well, let's talk about this here...

You see, they have DIFFERENT sound qualities. Like, comparing the V6 with the SR-80 with the 495 is simply comparing things that are SOOOO different, made for SOOOo different uses, with SOOOOO different sounds, that there isn't much to say for what is 'better' or not. What *I* would suggest doing is finding what is best for your exact purpose, to find what is best for you! Like, for example, if your stuff doesnt have much power, the 495's probably won't sound good. if you are listening with a lot of ambient sound, the sr-80's or 495's probably won't sound good (the V6 might be pretty good, though; i have heard mixed thigns about their isolation, but it is supposedly better after the beyer pads though...). And then, if you ad the ER6's into the equation, and the Alessandro MS-1's, and the AKG K401's, things get even MORE messed up...

Dec 18, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 28
i wouldn't say same size but i think roughly the same size....

wow.....were do you live? u actually can get the v6 locally......whoa......where i live i can only find the 7506 which i would get if they weren't $200CAN.....

Dec 18, 2001 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 28
Which is "better" depends on your usage. If you have an amp, the 495 are better. Directly out of a portable, the V6 will sound better. Also, the 495 are open, while the V6 are closed.

So you have to figure out if you'll be using an amp, and whether you want open or closed.

Dec 18, 2001 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kpxgq
i dunno for sure, since i have never tried either... but i believe they are about the same in sound quality.... so i guess get whatever u like better and is cheaper

They dont sound anything alike, i prefer the 7506's/V6's.

George

Dec 18, 2001 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 28
Like Gluegun said, these sound totally different from each other. I dont know about everyone else, but i own both and let me give you a quick review:

Sony V6's/7506's:

Tight, deep bass. Clear highs, a wee bit on the bright side. Sound amazing on my MD player and very good on my discman and receiver. BIG, your ears sit inside the cups, especially if you replace them with Beyer pads. My best headphones so far, i love these things, they are closed by the way. They sounded hella bright for the first 2 weeks i owned them.

Senn 495's:

Without an amp: they sound ok on my MD player, doesnt drive them loud enough, ditto for my discman and receiver (for the most part).

With a cmoy amp: a little better, um, these sorta sound like the Grado 60's, but nowhere near as bright. Also, i have found they sound (with Guitar-driven music) to be dull, lifeless, flat, neutral, a little wimpy in the bass department and grainy. Not to say these are analytical, but music that has been poorly recorded will just awful (such as linkin park's hybrid theory) on this cans, thats what i've noticed so far. I've burned these in for a few days and the sound should improve. They do sound better with quieter music (such as piano and jazz...haven't tried any classical music yet). In other words, these are probably better suited for softer music. Definitely not Rock headphones.

Besides Link Park, i used Lenny Kravitz's '5,' Paula Cole's 'This Fire,' 'Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown,' by various jazz artists and Verve Pipe 'Villians' These all sound fine on my 7506's but only the charlie brown cd and Paula Cole sounded ok with the 495's.

Personally i like my Grado's better (better clarity, albeit too bright for extended listening), and especially the Sony's (ahhh...my fav's!). I'd also like to remind everyone: I've only owned the 495's for a week so i will give them time to break in. Best of luck!

George
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2001 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 28
Does everyone prefer to replace their V6 with Beyer pads? What's the deal with those?

Besides the Senn MX400/500 are there any earbuds that are nicely priced and I can easily get locally? If I'm to get the V6 I won't be ordering from headroom so I wouldn't know how to get the MX400/500.

I'm tempted to buy one V6 for my gf and the Senn495 for me but I might get two V6. As I said I like the looks of the Senns more but if the V6 is going to be more versatile then I guess I should lean towards it since i have no intentions of getting an amp. You guys agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back