Quick Tip: Grado Lettering Aesthetic Maintenance
Jun 9, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bl4cksh33p

100+ Head-Fier
A while ago I wrote of my worry regarding the wear on the silver lettering around my Alessandro MS-2i cups. The silver type had almost completely worn off, exposing an ugly, raised black lettering. This didn’t affect the sound at all, but I did find it slightly unnerving to see the beautiful cups tainted by such unattractive deterioration. Anyway, for those of you in the same situation, I think that I’ve found a (poor boys) solution:

-Today I purchased one of those fine point silver sharpies in the store. After running over the letters a few times, they were restored to their original silver state. I know that this is very caveman-esque, but I was surprised with how well it worked. The silver sharpie matches the original lettering almost spot on, and I’m very happy with the result.

I imagine that a white sharpie would work well with the lower SR models.

Sorry for not taking before and after pictures. Trust me, before the letters were all black, and now the cans are back to looking pretty much brand new. I’m very satisfied.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 20
Nice idea. My experience with black sharpie is that it rubs off easily though. Don't get rid of that pen yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 20
hrmmm, in certain pictures the ms2i looks silver instead of gold. I would totally go for a silver pair ala the ms2. how do they sound?

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 20
Hi chancelot!

Actually they ARE silver in color!

What you are probably thinking about is the Grado Anniversary, golden color scheme, of the Grado version of the MS2; the SR-325i.

Yup! Two different sets of cans!

The MS2 sounds more neutral and analytical than the SR-325i.

Nice to have a choice!

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 20
If the cups are made of aluminum how the letters get black? With just rubbing them they should be restored to the silver finish as well, or I'm missing something, are these cups plastic???

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
If the cups are made of aluminum how the letters get black? With just rubbing them they should be restored to the silver finish as well, or I'm missing something, are these cups plastic???

I'm going to make a guess based on the black plastic ring that appears to be glued onto the face of my MS-1s.

I suspect that the same ring may be glued into a slot milled into the face of the MS2 aluminum cups.

Maybe.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
black primer topped off with silver on the raised text areas.

Interesting.

Does it appear that the material that the paint and primer is on is aluminum?

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Interesting.

Does it appear that the material that the paint and primer is on is aluminum?

I can't really tell. I think the black ring is plastic though.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Cool; so it may just be a glued in ring after all.

Regardless; you did a fabulous job of spiffying them back up! Not to mention posting a photo that really shows up the reclaimed beauty of these gorgeous cans!!

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 20
Anyone know a good source for the silver Sharpie? Can't find it around these parts..

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Anyone know a good source for the silver Sharpie? Can't find it around these parts..

There's another brand called Pilot, they make a silver permanent marker, look in an art store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back