Quick Review, Sony D-NE300 PDCP at Best Buy for $60 -- it's a "10"
Jul 13, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoire
I have a problem with my dne300. It cant read rewritable cds. I have burnt a mp3 compilation with nero on a blank CD-RW and it doesnt play on the player. I have tried to burn the same compilation on a blank CD-R and the player reads it. Do you think I should return it for another one???

mine plays rw cd's fine. sorry, don't know what the issue is.

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoire
I have a problem with my dne300. It cant read rewritable cds. I have burnt a mp3 compilation with nero on a blank CD-RW and it doesnt play on the player. I have tried to burn the same compilation on a blank CD-R and the player reads it. Do you think I should return it for another one???

First off, the D-NE300 - like most other MP3/CD players - have trouble reading CD-RWs that have been packet-written (drag-and-drop to write/rewrite) with packet-writing progs such as InCD and DirectCD. You'll have to use the mastering software (the main Nero Burning ROM program or the main Easy CD Creator program) to burn music/MP3s onto CD-RW. And make sure that you get all of your MP3s in as few writing sessions as possible, and then close the disk so that no further data can be written on that CD-RW without erasing the entire disk.

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #78 of 89
I think the sound of the D-NE300 really is that much better than the IMP-350. (I own both.) Don't get me wrong, the IMP350 sound is good enough so that you can really enjoy the music. But I get audible (though soft) hiss on the IMP350 and I feel a little frustrated when I listen to it, maybe because there are audible (but perhaps subtle) discrepancies in frequency response.

With the D-NE300 I feel more into the music because the sound is into the next level, the zone where I am not at all concerned about any audible deficiencies. I would guess someone with unusually razor-sharp ears could pick out a D-NE300 from a nice DVD player (which is what I have for my primary home source) in a DBT, but it's beyond the point where I am going to worry about it.

This is coming from someone who (apart from speakers, cartridges and headphones) is generally very skeptical about claims of meaningful differences in sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaen
Is the sound REALLY that much better than the imp-350? Anyone else who owns both have an opinion? Currently, Ive got a maxed out Cmoy valcro'd to the top of the imp lid, and with my px200's I think I've got decent rig going. I'd pop for one of the other new sony's, but I really like the use of a remote. (imp350 with amp in backpack with remote mounted on left shoulder strap) So if the new sony lineup can NOTICEABLY beat the imp in terms of flat out sonic excellence for a portable..then...i'll make the switch--but id have to go for the NE900 so I can still mount the amp on top for easy carrying!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #79 of 89
I just bought a blue D-NE300. I'm glad I waited for this model rather than buying the previous d-ne510. I am definitely impressed by the quality you get for $60. So far, it plays every mp3 i've thrown at it. I archive old songs that I don't listen to frequently anymore on cd-rs and this player allows me to play them on the occasions that I feel like listening to them.

I use them with D66 eggos and the sound is very smooth and enjoyable. Nothing feels lacking, not even the bass. However, there is definitely a faint hissing going on in the background, but it is not too bad and overall the sound is pretty good. I am not using the eq either btw. I agree with Steve999's impressions. You listen to the music (no matter what the bitrate) and not the gear with the d-ne300. It also definitely seems louder than its 5mw suggests, I listen at a volume of 6. I look at the volume scale and it is at a lower relative position than I listen to with the iPod although I have never tested both devices at max output (so iPod may end up louder). In any case, volume is definitely not a problem. Motor noise is silent when playing but when you are jumping around tracks, the noise is audible. Overall a very solid cd player.

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #80 of 89
Note that these tests were performed through the line in of my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard. But I have a hunch that what measured best in frequency response actually sounded worst in listening tests, based on the reaction at the 31 July Chicago Head-Fi meet. And the player which measured worst in RMAA's frequency response tests actually sounded better than many of the other PCDPs at the meet. This gives creedence that the audio inputs on the M-Audio Revolution is not very accurate; in fact, it may itself be boosting the bass and treble of any input going into the card. (The relatively low dynamic-range results for the Revo itself may actually be skewing the dynamic range results for some of the PCDPs, as well.) I will try to get a better soundcard, such as the E-Mu 1212M, to determine whether or not it's the Revo itself that's to blame. (Even the Audigy2 ZS may actually perform better at 24/96 than my Revo at the same bit/sampling rate - I couldn't get any RMAA result at all whatsoever from my Revo at 24/96. It could have been the driver version used during the RMAA testing - the current 1.0.2.8 version - which had bugs.) Any updates to this thread and to the Panasonic SL-MP77 and Chicago Meet threads will be posted at a later date.

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #81 of 89
Good luck on this stuff. It's among the most interesting work being done at head-fi right now, it's relatively complex and you are doing a nice job of developing your skills and questioning your results and your assumptions. You've shown a lot of honesty in reporting unexpected or perhaps disappointing results and feedback.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I will try to get a better soundcard, such as the E-Mu 1212M, to determine whether or not it's the Revo itself that's to blame.

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #82 of 89
I read this post vith very atention.

I finding a good cd-player with MP3 and ahother without MP3 for < 100$.

This (D-NE300) seems pretty good...

I have a pair of Shenheisser px100, px200, mx500 and hd497.

Are those good for this 5mw headphone output?

It's relly good the parameter equalizer?

Thanks

-Maurus

Sep 29, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #84 of 89
hello,

i was wondering if using windows integrated cd writing would yield cdrw playback on the dne300 as well as the dne500. i have been able to play cdrw using this but there was choppiness because i burned at 16x (too fast). i erased that cd, and i am reencoding my files and was wondering if i should pick up a program while i am waiting.

thank you,
adrian

Sep 29, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #85 of 89
Do all the good things that have been said about the D-NE300 apply to the 400 also? And how's the FM tuner on the latter?

Oct 9, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #87 of 89
the 50-80 hours of battery life came as a shock to me on this pcdp. its nuts having a couple batterys last so long...

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghesekki
I picked this cd player up after reading this thread, but I personally wasn't impressed. I also have the D-CJ01, and while the D-NE300 has a lot of features, I can't say that the sound quality is better than the D-CJ01, which doesn't sound all that great either.

I prefer the D-NF400 to the D-CJ01, whose sound I've never liked. I can't say I prefer the D-NF400's sound to the old Panasonic PCDP/MP3 I own (can't remember the model number right now) but the Sony sounds as good, and the feature set is far better.

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #89 of 89
Question about the display: Often when I fast forward within an mp3 file, the little musical note icon gets replaced by what looks like a flashing seltzer bottle. Anybody know what's up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back